You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Soldier's Story

Real Ghost Stories

A Soldier's Story

 

This story takes place at my grandparents' home in a small town of Moosehorn, Manitoba in 1984. My grandparents had nine children in all but only two lived at home now as the others had grown and left home. My grandparents bought a smaller farm and moved to a new house on the property.

My uncle who would have been 17 at that time almost immediately started to experience strange happenings from the time they moved in with the activity being focused on him. One day coming out of the shower, the steam on the mirror had the word "Brother" printed on the glass. He thought it was a joke or that someone had maybe written it on the mirror earlier and the steam just brought it out. A few days later he was heading out of the house during a cool September morning and in the condensation on the outside door window the words "I AM A FATHER" was printed. This was a little more suspicious and so he asked my grandparents and his sister (my aunt) who had done that. No one admitted to it.

A few nights later he awoke to a tug on his blankets and a man in his early twenties in Canadian armed forces dress stood at the end of his bed, my uncle said the figure was transparent and a low glowing white. He screamed and the figure disappeared. My grandpa ran in to see what the commotion was about and told my uncle he was dreaming and to go to sleep. Eventually over the next few months everyone came to believe him. Furniture would move by itself and footsteps could be heard, although the apparition was never actually seen again.

About a year later the activity just stopped and never happened again. My uncle a few years later took some time to look up the history of the home. Two brothers grew up on that farm in the 1930's and when World War 2 came about they were both old enough and enlisted together. One brother died in fighting in Dieppe, France and the other made it home, had a family and moved out of the area of Moosehorn to Winnipeg, Manitoba. My uncle decided to run a check of deaths to see if the other brother was still alive and he found in the death notices in archives that the brother had died in 1985, right around the time the activity ceased. My uncle figures the ghost was the dead brother thinking he was his living brother and when the living one finally passed they were re-united and the ghost moved on!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shypo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rachelvaknin (9 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hello,

My name is Rachel, I work for Raw TV. We are currently working on Series 5 of Paranormal Witness. Your story sounds really interesting and I would love to speak to you regarding your experience. In case you haven't seen the series, Paranormal Witness is a drama-documentary where the story is told from the perspective of multiple eyewitnesses - in their own words. It is now one of the highest rating shows on Syfy. For more information please check out syfy's website: http://www.syfy.com/paranormalwitness/

If interested, please email me at: rachel. Vaknin [at] raw.co.uk

Thanks,

Rachel
shiny_diwa (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
That was a very heartwarming story, A family reunion from beyond!
Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
It gives me a warm feeling to think that the two brothers have finally reunited in the afterlife. I guess it's safe to say that there is INDEED a life beyond ours and that our love for our family transcends to it. I love your story! ❤

Blessed be!
bluegirl0506 (3 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Oh goodness. I relate to this. I think it's odd how you just recently commented on my story, "A Child's Cry" and then I read your story and you write about something that has recently happened to me. Thank you for sharing your story!
shypo (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
I will let my uncle know about the "I am a Father" piece. That would make a lot of sense. Thanks everyone.
kiran5070 (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
wow,you retold it well and I too go with the audience what sense does "iam the father"?

My blessings,
Kiranchandra 😊
Shiva (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
The message "Iam a father" was the most interesting turn the events took.

I would like to follow the thought line of Kecoughtan here. Maybe the soldier was trying to tell you something but did not get the chance to. As his brother died, he also had to move on. Maybe you were the only chance he had to make this revelation...?

But I guess we'll never know now.

May his soul rest in peace
Amen.

Godspeed S.
charl2008 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
I usually don't read others' comments, but for some reason Kecoughtans comment caught my eye. She does have one hay of a point. Maybe the spirit wanted to tell his then living brother that he is a father and had kid/s in France or somewhere in Europe:P. I'm pretty sure that that spirit reminded him of his brother through your uncle - that's why the "hauntings" were focused on your uncle. But the "hauntings" did stop, right? So I guess that means that the spirits has moved on - very nice 😁. Thanks for sharing this story!

God bless 😁
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
Thanks for sharing your family's experience with us, shypo! I really enjoyed it. I AM A FATHER is an intriguing message. If there is no evidence to support the activity of a second spirit in the farmhouse, then perhaps this message, too, was written by the brother who died in France. When your uncle did his research it sounds as though he probably investigated local records in Manitoba. But what if the brother who died in France had a wartime romance "over there" and fathered a child? He would hardly be the first soldier to do so while deployed. He may never have had an opportunity to tell the family or maybe he didn't want his parents to know. But it seems that he may have wanted to tell his "brother." I have heard of many instances in which buddies and NCOs discarded evidence that soldiers KIA were involved with local women so as not to shame the family. So the documentation of his child may not exist or might be in England or France. Just a thought.
shypo (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
No, they were not sure what to make of the "father" bit. The "ghost" didn't have children prior to the war, so not sure what that meant.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
I, like Perd, am also wondering about the "I am father" that was written on the door. Were you ever able to figure out what that meant? Please keep us updated 😊. God bless.
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
So I would wonder if the "I am a father" words were written once the living brother had a child. Perhaps the living brother, wanting him to know and be part of his child's life, would speak to his brother. That could have been the deceased brothers way of letting him know that he heard him.

Thank you for sharing! 😁
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
That was a great story, thanks for sharing it. I think you are probably right as to why the activity stopped when it did.
Angelofmusic (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
Wow, what a story. Its great that you took time out to find out who the spirit might be. I'm sure if this guy was your relative he would find it funny that he got the wrong guy! 😆
Ive had an experience with a ghost of a soldier. He didn't try to harm me.
A very interesting story. I look forward to reading more of your storys.

The Angelxx
shypo (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
I should clarify the house my grandparents, uncle and aunt moved into was the original house (new for them, but not new to the farm).
steven181 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
Thats sounds reasonable... The whole thing.
Soldiers in those kinds of houses are really reasonable.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: