You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Unexplained Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Encounters

 

This story is kind of long, but in my opinion, it's well worth the read. Seemingly, I have read a lot of stories that may be like this one. Over the last few months, I have moved to Michigan with my husband, I have been really interested in finding more out about the paranormal.

It all started when my husband and I rented this house from a private owner here in a quiet suburb of Detroit. Westland, Michigan has a variety of haunted places, one notorious one is the Eloise Mental Asylum. It consisted of 78 original buildings (wards). It was built back in the early 19th century, and unfortunately was closed down in the 1940's. Only four of the original wards remain. The building is no longer called the Eloise Metal Asylum on its own anymore, it is now known as the Remains of the asylum.

Strange enough, this eerie hospital is located not even four miles from where I live. From the time of moving into this house, I have heard, smelled, and felt the strangest of things. My husband however has not. He says it's all a pigment of my imagination. Frankly I beg to differ. I wasn't crazy before moving in here, so why would I be after moving in here? Things like this don't just happen for any reason.

I don't know if this presence is drawn to just me, or if my husband is too blind to see it. Just the other night, he felt a little unease while we were both in the kitchen. He was doing the dishes for me so I could start on dinner. Also since moving in, a wide variety of strange things have happened.

We moved in October of 2008, and since fully unpacking bad news, deaths and upsetting events took place. My mother's boyfriend passed away the day after thanksgiving, November 2008. I got pregnant, and lost both of them, one pregnancy two babies. My mom's boyfriend's mother has come down with pancreas cancer and now has a verdict of no more than 6 more months of life.

But that's my family, I don't think that any of that has anything to do with me or my husband living in this house, it's just all that on top of living through these strange experiences. I have felt strange, and sleeping at night has become a task in itself. I don't turn it in and call it a night until at least anywhere from 3-5 in the morning after my husband has been to bed for hours. Even when I go in there to try to sleep, I have to lay awake for at least an hour before actually closing my eyes. I fear my bedroom and I don't go in there alone unless I absolutely have to. When my husband isn't home, I keep the bedroom door shut. I really don't even like looking in there. But seems every time I go into the kitchen (which you can see the full length of my bedroom door from the kitchen) I have to look over there, and sometimes, I feel like I see something, until I shake it off and just think no there's nothing there, your just being weary.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my mother, and I had left my cigarettes in the bathroom after getting done with my hair and makeup. So I walked past my bedroom door, which I keep closed. I felt a seemingly cold draft. This is highly unusual because my bedroom is and has always been the warmest room in the house, we have baseboard heating, and my bedroom is smaller than the rest of the house. It's about 12 degrees outside here in Michigan right now, so yes the heat stays on or at least it will until outside reaches 70 again and with my bedroom door being held tightly shut all day, the heat will accumulate in there, thus making it hotter than the rest of the house.

When I walked past my closed bedroom door yesterday to just get my cigs from the bathroom and return to the couch to continue the conversation with my mother, I walked past and felt the cold basically seeping from underneath the door. I paused in fear, knowing my bedroom, would never logically do this. I told me mom to hold on, and I put the phone down on the bar, which is right beside my bedroom door. I opened my door, and got an instant cold blast in my face. It was so cold I actually started to shiver. The rest of my house, with the heat being on of Corse felt just fine, as though the room temp was merely in the 80's. I picked up the phone, ran to the bathroom got my smokes and ran to the couch.

After telling my mom what had just happened, she started laying on me a few incidents of her own. Since her boyfriend died, TV's, Radios, hair dryers all turning on and off. I told her it's probably nothing more than an electronically or wiring problem. She had told me she thought the same. What really freaked me out was when she told me that an electronically problem couldn't be it. She had just bought herself a brand new flat screen television from Wal-Mart on sale of Course. HD, plasma. You know one of those nice ones. And a brand new TV stand to go along with it. She said that the radio was new as well. Her old radio did not have a CD player in it so she went out and bought one that did.

When her and her late boyfriend purchased the house, the house inspector came in, and told my mom and her boyfriend Phillip what needed to be done and how much it would cost. The main thing was the toilet in my little brother's bathroom, and the wiring in my mom's bedroom. So they got both of those fixed. So wiring wasn't an issue unless the electrician did a poor job and if he had done a poor job, why would it wait this long to finally screw up. For you information, my mom and Phil bought the house in the summer of 2008, so the electricity wiring job is fairly new. My mom lives in Florida

In my house up here in Michigan, I moved up here from Florida I have had a few creepy things happen, odd experiences and rank smells have been noticed, but only seem to come around when my husband can't be aware of what's happening. Now Phillip my mom's boyfriend died in November and I went down to Florida to comfort my mom and go to his funeral. Could this be the ghost of Phillip trying to trick my mom and me, because in life he was a trickster, very loving and compassionate. Never would he ever think of harming you, and if he scared you he really didn't mean to.

By posting this here, I thought maybe I have found someone to believe me. Not being able to sleep, being freaked out, and just plain living in fear I thought maybe all of you would have either a logical explanation or share some more experiences of your own with me.

Loud door knocks weird smells, cold inexplicable rooms, deaths, and what may have you. One more thing before I go I don't know if you have ever heard of the BIG BOY restraint. But one time when me and my husband were dating, we went to a big boy restraint, He purchased a small BIG BOY piggy bank like thing, but it's the character of the actual big boy. We put the Big Boy bank on the dresser we just bought at an auction a week or so ago, and since putting big boy on the top, it has moved from one side of the dresser, to the other, and it keeps doing it. We put big boy in the middle of the dresser, and it will always move to the right hand side. This dresser is about 5 ft tall; it's more like an armoire type thing.

So no children that I may baby-sit here or there can get to the big boy. I baby-sit my next door neighbors little boy who is two and only like a little under two foot tall. The dresser is right next to the closet. My side of the closet (his and her) closets always makes weird thumping noises. Not Ryan's side just mine. Like I said Ryan is never here or is asleep to ever encounter anything. So I just don't know what any of this could be.

Answers are needed and appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I have more stories I would like to post here on a later date.

Best regards and wishes.

<33Jessica

Other hauntings by JessicaWishon1989

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JessicaWishon1989, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
CHRISB: I'm glad you liked my story... I haven't really had very many encounters recently to post here... So when more things happen I will update my story blog... And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it... You should take some time to check out my other stories as well! Take care
<33jessica
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Wow this sure was a very interesting story. Thank you for sharring it with us. I enjoyed reading it and I can't wait to read more of your encounters. By the way you were write. It was worth the read. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
JAMESROBISCOE~ Yeah, the story of my brotehr is up! Its a long story but a good read! But yes... The thingy that was in the picture, I didn't know exactly what to call it... So I called it a vortex! It is a pink swirly thing to the right of the old mirror! I wish I could put it up here, but while moving to michigan, I have seemed to of lost the connection cord from camera to computer! And have not got a new one! But yes, read my true story on my brother! If you have not all ready! And thanks for your concern... I have not really had anything unusual here lately, and I am finally able to sleep again at night!

With love, Jessica
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
Jessica--It's good to hear you continue taking the lead in this investigation for explanations. If there IS a benevolent spirit of some kind, it will see you know who's in charge!
By "vortex" I guess you mean (pink) swirly things or smudge-like colorations. Since I assume you are using a digital camera, that isn't faulty film. Did you happen to note the time? Jotting down notes of when the oddities occur may establish a pattern (if any), but certainly the frequency.
Having experienced ghosts myself, I do not wish them on anyone, but if they appear (and walk and whisper as mine did), I've come to believe they are asking for attention, and maybe asking for help to pass on out of the trap they feel themslves in.
Meanwhile,continue on with your plan of actions, and I know all of us look forward to reading the story of your brother!
God be with you,
James
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
JAMESROBISCOE~ Yeah its lahser[lah-ser]! But yeah, I will have that checked... Everything seems quite logical! Everything but the piggy bank on the dresser! When my landlady comes at the end of the month to collect the rent, I will for sure ask her these questions, one thins about renting is you can have this stuff done, and it not cost you a thing! The oven is old, It was put in here in the 80's but its a 1950's style oven! I took some pictures with my digital camera, and came up with nothing except in one picture, I have a great big mirror about 5 feet long and 3 feet tall, its hung on my living room wall, and has become the focus point of the room! However, when I took a picture of the mirror, there was a pink like vortex thing to right side of the mirror! Thinking it was just a picture effect, I took it again in the same exact spot, I had not moved an inch from the last shot I made, however the pink vortex was no longer there. I took some pictures of my room, with just the flash of the camera as my light, and where the piggy bank is, was another pink vortex. Still hadnt moved from the place where the last shot was snapped at, I took another one, and the vortex was gone! However, I have just taken these as camera defects, and had thought nothing more of them! And as soon as the submit story option comes back alive, I am going to post a story of my little brother! So you all can tell me about him! Thanks again for the comments!

But I am most deff going to have someone check the wiring and stuff, and see if a gas pipe has burst! Because this house was however made in the 50's. But we get our gas from the city line, and just pay for it! But, my oven is not gas... My oven is electrical! So that leads again to the wiring... But nothing else seems to be going wrong!

Always, Jessica
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Jessica--Thank you for the reply. So the windows are sealed, yet the normally warm room is sometimes chilly cold, there is no attic space for animals to get in and crawl about, and you have spoken with your landlady who tells you only space for gas pipes above the ceiling. Now the oven comes on when you're out of the house. Could you call the gas company to have a worker come out and check for leaks or some irregularity that might be causing this--and possibly the bangs, the "weird smells," and the heat fluctuation? I suggest also getting an electric utility person out with an EMF detector. They're standard equipment. If the wiring was done incorrectly, you could be experiencing the effects of high magnetic fields.
It's easy to see there is an increase of concrete activity of some sort, and this time your husband experienced it too. Well, experienced not activity but the result of it. Have you asked the landlady directly who lived in the house before, and was there a death that occured in it? She might naturally be reluctant to say--but you can research the deed, the names on it, and public records of those names.
If you don't want to be a victim of fear, it's important to be systematic and empirical in your investigation. As Sherlock Holmes said, "Once you eliminate the impossible, what's left, no matter how improbable, is the truth."
P. S. Glad to hear Eloise is still there! And do Detroiters still pronounce Lahser as though it were "Lasher"?
Good luck, and do keep investigating.
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Sometimes there are no logical explanations for things that happen like that. Make sure when things happen that you don't show fear, spirits can get energy from this from what I understand. It sounds like you have a little poltergeist activity going on. Stay strong and try to be as brave as possible. If it gets any worse see if you can find just a local pastor or priest and ask them to bless your house. They may do it without you being a member of their church.
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
oh yeah one more thing to add on to the strange things in this house! Yesterday, I took my husband to work, and I drove by that hospital... ELOISE... And then I came back home... I came on here and watched tv until I had to pick my husband up from work! I left here last night at 7:00 pm, to get to him by 7:30 in southfield at NINE MILE and LAHSER! Sooo... I left!

When we returned home... The oven was on, and my bedroom light was on!

Now I know I didn't go into my bedroom yesterday, because I got ready before Ryan and I left to even take him to work! And Ryan was the last one in that room!

And I did not cook anything in the oven yesterday at all... In fact I had not used the oven for 2 or 3 days... And yes the oven was on! Thankfully the heat temp for it was as low as it goes! So yeah, the only thing I ate yesterday was cereal... I ate cereal before ryan left, and I ate cereal again around 5 yesterday eneving! I am trying to diet... So I got that special k cereal, and cereal bars! So I can't explain that! And there is only one entrance to this house, and it was locked when I left to pick ryan up! And no... NO WINDOWS WERE LEFT UNLOCKED... Its really cold outside so every window and dorr stay shut! 😭
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
HOBBYHOLLY~ there is no change ar anything in the big boy piggy bank! We keep all of our change in a glass jug that is in the living room!

JAMESROBISCOE~ we have no attic in our home! And Ryan, My husband has checked the windows... Because it was so cold in there! But why would it be cold in there on only that day? Anyother day because I keep my bedroom door shut it is always hot! And I just went in there like 2 seconds ago and it felt hot in there as usual! We also keep really heavy drapes in front of the windows in my bedroom because I like it to be dark, and at night, the house behind ours always keeps a bright back porch light on, so therefore we bought the drapes to cancel that light out! And beings we have no attic in our house... The only room there is to move around, like for an animal to move around, is directly above our living room! Which we have heard an animal move around above our living room! I have even asked my landlord where there is extra space above the house... And she said only above the living room for the gas to move through the heated baseboards! So I don't know what it is! But I drove by eloise yesterday... And yes it is very spooky! I would love to go in it!

PILARB~ I don't really know what white witchcraft is... Or a quack doctor... But I will look into it!

On another note... I have bought holy water at a local auction thingy... And I have said some words whilst sprinkling the holy water... But still the occurances continue to happen! And I am not a member of any church yet here in michigan... So I really cannot call upon a pastor!

Thank you for reading my story!
~Jessica
I have more to come! ❤ ❤ ❤
pilarB (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Hi Jessica,
Your experience is quite spooky. I've been experiencing a part of your story and I would say that that entity is not Philip. Those may be earthbound spirits that have been there from old times and perhaps they don't want to share it with the living, same thing as your Mom's house. Have you tried asking the church for exorcism? Or do you believe in White WitchCraft or some call them Quack Doctors. If you approach a great one, from the Candle X-ray, they will be able to see what kind of entities are there inside your houses and their purpose why they can't cross-over yet. If you are brave enough, you can also burn frankincense and add some sage, that would be effective too but on the other hand, since you are alone most of the time, it's risky doing it especially if you get afraid easily, they might overpower you.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Jessica--When I was a boy, my grandfather's farm was in the country, and we'd drive past Eloise. I was always intrigued by the place, so wonderfully Gothic. I hope they never tear it down.
As to your experiences, something is obviously spooking you. It might not be the supernatural, however, and to eliminate possibilities, I suggest you check the window seals to make sure they're tight and not causing the chilling draft in the bedroom. Use a carpenter's level (the type with the liquid column in the middle) to make certain your armoire is not on an imperceptible slant. Without a fuller description of the thumping noises in your closet, I suggest it might be plumbing behind the walls or an animal behind the walls (or possibly attic) making sounds that resound in that place. In short, do some investigations to try to explain the oddities. Beyond that, keep a cassette (or videotape) recorder handy to document what may happen. Keep a pad handy to note dates and times to see if a pattern emerges.
While I sometimes crave a Big Boy hamburger, I remember their strawberry pie!
Good luck and keep us posted if you are so inclined. - James
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Jessica
I had a BIG BOY piggy bank! When those suckers have any kind of change in them, they are not easy to move.

I fully believe your story. I have exact moments too, where there are some rooms I will not go into unless I have to.

I think there is something going on with both you and your mother's houses

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: