You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Everglades Ghost Boy

Real Ghost Stories

The Everglades Ghost Boy

 

It was one of those days where you are really bored and have nothing to do. Then someone comes along and tells you what they have planned and you are ecstatic knowing you are doing something you like that day, and then later on something ruins it for you.

It all started off early one morning when I was lying in the bed, watching my TV. My mother walked in and said that we were going to the everglades to canoe, with my cousin and aunt coming alongside us. I quickly got out of bed and we all got ready to go. The drive was about an hour long and when we got there, there was hardly anyone there and it was very breezy, and cold. We waited for about 15 minutes before my cousin and aunt arrived.

Once we had gone to the office to arrange our canoeing plans we headed outside to where the canoes were and started to get in. Me, my aunt, and my cousin got in one canoe and were pushed off the shore first, leaving my mom, dad, and sister behind, and us having to wait for them in the water. Once they were in the water, we started paddling.

We had been paddling for about 15 minutes enjoying the scenery and the time we were spending with each other as families do, when I spotted something move in the water. I looked down into the water and I saw a human figure swimming beneath us. The water was extremely shallow, the figure moved like it had all the room in the world. Stretching 'its' arms out wide, legs extended, and 'it' was doing that even though there were walls of sand and mangrove trees everywhere, including in the water. He seemed to be going through everything. I looked closely to see that it was a young boy, about 13 or 14 years of age with beautiful blonde hair.

I gasped for air very loudly too, so that my family would hear and show concern. The boy looked at me with dark red eyes and rings of black as well. I sensed evil, and sadness, and very much cruelty. On seeing me, the boy turned his head and swam away, deeper into the water, fading away. Once I had realized what had just happened I noticed that my family was around me, worried. "What's wrong?! Are you okay?" my mother yelled out to me. I nodded my head. "Yeah, yeah I'm just fine. I thought I just saw something in the water, and it scared me. It was nothing though." I replied, lying. My mom said ok and then we all headed on with our sightseeing. Not even 5 minutes had passed, another thing happened. I was looking all around, enjoying the scenery, when I saw the boy again. I focused my eyes through the layers of thick mangrove trees to see the boy staring back at me with a very angry face, and this time with completely full bright red eyes. I thought I had passed through his territory and that me and my family needed to get out of there and quickly.

Our canoes went into an open area of the river I was still focused at looking at the boy. The wind started to pick up real fast, and it got real cold. My cousin was standing up at that moment, taking a video of the area with her video camera. My aunt was holding her legs from behind, but barely. As I continued staring at the boy, the wind got worse. The boat tipped a bit, and my cousin lost her balance and fell overboard into the water. I quickly looked away from the boy to look at my cousin just falling into the water. I stood and then reached out my arm to her. Then I remembered the boy, and his evil look. I looked back at the place where I was just staring at him before, and to my amazement, he was gone.

I panicked to reach for my cousin and pull her back on the boat. The boy was gone and I feared if he would do any harm to my cousin, who was still in the water trying to reach me and my aunt's hands to get back on the boat. "TAKE MY HAND! TAKE MY HAND! GET BACK ON THE BOAT!" I yelled out to my cousin very loudly and quickly. She did as I said, and swam to me quickly, reaching for my hand with both arms. I quickly pulled her back onto the boat, and she was fine. No damage done.

I was worried the rest of the time in the water, and when we got back to shore, I just happened to spot the boy again. He gave me an evil wink and rolled his eyes back, fading away.

"Ouch My back hurts all of a sudden!" my cousin yelled out, and just after I finished looking at the boy. I lifted her shirt up, and to everyone's surprise, her whole back was a big black and blue bruise. Everywhere you looked on her back she had a bruise. She basically looked like a ripened plum from the back. "I don't even remember getting hurt." she said to me. "Who knows?" I said back, fakingley, knowing that the boy had something to do with it. We left after that.

I came back a few years later and I asked one of the workers there of the history of the place after telling them of what I had experienced there. They told me that many years ago a boy in his teens was playing around with his friends in the water where my family and me were canoeing. One of his friends placed a bet with him to seeing who could hold their breath the longest. The boy who had died was from a poor family and wanted to win the money desperately. After they competed, the friend who was competing against this boy noticed that his partner was floating when he touched him to tell him that he had won. He quickly grabbed him and pulled him out of the water, then went to go get help. The kid had wanted the money so badly that he drowned and did not even mean to. He lost his life that day and no one could bring him back to life. When his parents found out they both committed suicide for losing their only son. I understood the story.

When I was walking out of the everglades center building I looked down at the area at where the canoes where, and there was the boy, standing there looking at me with a sorrow face, and this time light blue eyes. I smiled at him and then waved goodbye to him. I looked back and he had sort of a smile on his face. He knew I understood and was glad. I walked away, and knowing that the boy would always be there.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

Other hauntings by jonesblue

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jonesblue, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-06)
Dude, that's quite a story. Thanks for sharing that. Wonder why he hasn't moved on? I don't need to know.
tburgos305 (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
wow...thats a beautiful but creepy story at the same time... Its sad when kids and teens are involved with death at such a young age... But I'm glad he finnaly realized that you understood what happened... 😁
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
yeah maybe... But maybe not...
I told you he had red eyes when he blinked at me, and he blinked at me like in an evil sort way that I don't really know how to explain. And also as I have said before that my cousin had no injuries before and did not show any sign at all of injuries.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Hi Jonesblue, Perhaps when your cousin was pulled into the canoe she received those bruises. The wink was probably not evil, perhaps just letting you know he approved of your swift rescue? At any rate, your cousin is safe. That's the best part!
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
thankyou you all for reading my story. I really do like the advice all of you have givn me. Oh and when my cousin fell into the water, she landed in the front area, and that's what has me wondering why she got that bruise. And yes she got a bruise in that short amount of time. It was not black and blue just then, but you could definitly tell it was a very big bruise. Thankyou all for giving me advice. Glad you enjoyed my story!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
I enjoyed this story, but I too must question the bruises on your cousins back.

Not because I don't believe this experience but brusies can take a long time to develop and when you first pulled her from the water there may not have been any indication she was injured.

My question is this, did she fall over backwards into the water, or forwards?

The reason I ask is this..."Bruises change in appearance over time, and it is possible to tell by looking at a bruise how old it is. When it first appears, a bruise will be reddish looking, reflecting the color of the blood in the skin. By one to two days, the reddish iron from the blood undergoes a change and the bruise will appear blue or purple. By day six, the color changes to green and by day eight to nine, the bruise will appear yellowish-brown." (from medicnenet)

So from your description the bruise was older than the fall into the water accounts for. (12-48 hours old is a guess) Unless rowing back to shore helped to 'age' the bruise. (which is possible)

So I can (and do) believe this story, but her bruise may have come from something other than the spirit 'attacking' her. Just a thought.

Respectfully,

Rook
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Shia might have a point. I believe you when you say you got an "evil" vibe off of him. But I really don't think he would mean you or your family harm
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
I really enjoyed this story, thank you for sharing 😊

You say that you think the boy was angry because you had crossed into his territory and seemed to be enjoying your time with your family, and that may be true, but I have another theory as well:

Maybe he was miffed that you simply wrote him off and said that "it was nothing" when your mom asked what was wrong. It seems to me that tragic spirits, especially ones looking for sympathy as this one seemed to be, don't enjoy being ignored or brushed aside anymore than a living person would.

It's just a thought. Thank you again for the story.
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
no we checked her as soon as we pulled her back onto the boat from the water and she had no signs of injuries. We went on canoing for about another half hour and then got to shore when she suddnely and randomely shouted out that she was hurting. Its alright I understand if its a bit confusing.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
"Before that she was fine, and we even checked her before to see if she was okay, and she had no red marks or anything. Very unusual."-You checked her before she fell into the water?
I thought she came out of it with and this happened "big black and blue bruise. Everywhere you looked on her back she had a bruise. She basically looked like a ripened plum from the back "

Sorry I'm just a little confused
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
the boy seemed very evil at first and I got a strong feeling that he wanted to harm us. I just think we crossed into his territory and he did not like seeing us be all happy because of the things he went through himself.
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
i remeber the same exact boy as I saw before. And he just stood there staring at me with a sad but understanding look. All seemed calmer when I understood the story and was heading back out. And my cousin was in no pain when she fell. She practiacally did a cannonball right into the water, and she did not touch the floor, for she did not like falling into that type of water and she thought it was very creepy to fall in the water and touch the floor for if anything was in there like crabs, which were in there. She was in no pain as I have said and only felt immediate pain when I was looking at the boy when on shore. Before that she was fine, and we even checked her before to see if she was okay, and she had no red marks or anything. Very unusual.
Thankyou for reading, hope to hear from some more people.
Love and hope for all!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
I find it tragic that a boy lost his life out there.

Your cousins bruise may have been caused when she fell? She might have hit a rock, but I don't think the deceased boy had anything to do with it. Many times I'll have a bruise from briefly hitting the ottoman or something like that.

As far as seeing the boy when you were leaving...
It could have been "the boy". Or after hearing the story, maybe your mind thought you saw a boy.

Hell it could have been a real person just standing there.

Thanks for sharing
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
please someone comment...anyone.
I have not submitted a story in a long time and I am really hoping to hear from somone. Anyone's free to comment!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: