You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Manali To Rothang - Five Hours Of Horror

Real Ghost Stories

Manali To Rothang - Five Hours Of Horror

 

To this day I still have no idea what happened exactly. What is written here is what I felt and saw. If anyone can give me any answers, I am all ears.

This happened on 14.12.2008. I was on vacation with two of my friends to Manali. We travelled out on the 11th and planned to return by 16th. We were using a borrowed Mahindra Scorpio. It was a bit battered but the engine and chassis was still fine, so it was alright.

Once we got to Manali, the trip to Rothang from Manali was a spur of the moment thing. We started out late, sometime around 12.15pm. We hardly realized that in winter the snow would be so high up (as new snow hadn't yet taken its full toll), and we had to in fact drive a mere five kms short of the actual pass to reach the snowfield. It took us nearly three hours to get there because the roads were really, really bad and even then, we had to walk about a km on foot to reach it. Since the air is really thin so high up, it was nearly 4.45pm before we returned commenced our journey back thoroughly exhausted.

Just short of halfway down, our front passenger tyre went flat. I think about 8 kms short of Gulabo, a small hamlet en route to Rothang. To compound the matters we discovered to our chagrin that the spare had no air in it, even though I had myself checked it before we began our journey. Perhaps it had a minor leak or whatever. The thing is we were stranded, and we could not leave the car behind. It was borrowed.

At first we waited, hoping that one of the few Scorpios we had seen would be coming down and maybe they would lend us their spare tyre. However, the traffic already thin owing to out - of - season scenario became a trickle as the light faded quickly past 5.30pm. So, both of my friends hitched a ride with the next taxi that passed us with the flat tyre, while I remained behind. My second friend was feeling nauseated and had a severe headache, all symptoms of high altitude sickness. Hence, I insisted that he accompanied my first friend down. Ironically, I wryly observed that I would be perfectly safe inside the vehicle as no one would have enough breath to rob me this high up in the wilderness.

After they had gone I set up reflectors at both ends of the vehicles to warn approaching vehicles, if there were going to be any, since the road is not that wide. Thereafter, I came and slid down on the back seat of the scorpio. I had locked the vehicle for precaution, and wrapped my arms around myself and just lay back. It was nearly 6pm. Since I had been on high altitude treks before, I was well clothed for Rothang. So even though it was dreadfully cold at minus 7 and going down, I felt it would be fine.

I don't know when I slid into a slumber, but when I came to it was nearly 8pm. I knew it was going to be difficult to get a taxi to ply at late hours, but this was getting ridiculous. Then I heard a rasping sound, which I cannot explain. I peered outside as best I could all round, but couldn't make any thing out since windows were all fogged up, the wind was really shrieking, as is often the case at high altitudes in winter especially after the sun goes down. Putting down the sound to the wind I fell back again, peering blankly towards the front windscreen, hoping my friends would return soon, since I was really cold and hungry.

While I was peering blankly at the windscreen, a large portion of it frosted up, but then just as quickly defrosted. I heard the rasping sound again. This happened in quick succession a number of times. At this moment I was just curious. Sometimes long hours in extreme conditions at high altitudes can dull the mind. So I propped myself up, and become more attentive. However, this time the same thing happened by the driver's window. So I cleaned the rear window behind the driver seat as best I could and peered outside but I could make out nothing. I was about to step out thinking may be some kind of leak from the engine was responsible for this "phenomenon", when the same thing happened again to the window from which I was peering outside a moment ago. This really freaked me out. Then it happened again but for longer duration at the rear window, and this time I detected a faint, suppressed growl along with the rasping noise. It stopped briefly, and then it started again and it was focused for sometime on the front windscreen. Each time it (frosting, defrosting with rasping and growling) repeated itself the duration of frosting increased, while that of defrosting lessened.

I was really afraid now. Initially, I thought may be it was an animal. Even for allowing for poor visibility, what kind of animal can cause this over and above the bonnet of the car without making some kind of noise on the body of the vehicle? Maybe it was some kind of phenomenon owing to comparably warmer temperature inside, and extreme cold outside. I am sure I heard those sounds I described earlier. I was still debating when the frost almost covered the entire windscreen for an interminably long time, and seemed to be seeping inside. I don't know why but I suddenly screamed with all my might and pounded with my fists and palms on the windscreen. It defrosted instantly.

For some time there was nothing except intense cold and shrieking wind. I sat, with my arms wrapped around me, in middle of the backseat, away from the windows. I heard a louder growl this time with rasping noise from the rear. I repeated my actions (screaming and pounding) even though there was no frost on the rear window. Nothing happened for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a few minutes. Then the front windscreen started frosting up really quickly and heavily, with the frost seeping inside. I screamed and pounded, but this time even though it defrosted again, there was a distinctly loud growl and the whole vehicle shook. This went on for what seemed like an eternity. Different windows would frost up really fast, I would scream and pound, there would be a loud growl and heightened rasping and the whole vehicle would shake. By the end, I was sweating like crazy, my arms were raw red with all the pounding, and my voice was almost gone. Cracks had appeared on nearly all the windows.

It was nearly midnight when my friend arrived in another taxi, with a mechanic, who changed our flat tyre with help from taxi driver. When my friend pounded on the window to get me to open up, I nearly broke the window with my pounding as I could no longer scream. There are no words to describe my relief, when I saw the face of my friend. So much so that I gave no thought to his well being, but apparently whatever it was seemed to be only interested in me. It was the mechanic who drove us down. My friend was aghast at my state and the state of the vehicle's windows. I couldn't speak, except in a croaking voice for nearly a week, which was good thing because I didn't want to speak.

When I did tell my friends they were perplexed and astounded. We were the ones who spent a night at 'Bhangarh', supposedly the most haunted place in India, to show that it was not. We regularly trek and camp at desolate, even scary places. What happened was unbelievable; even now I would sooner believe that it never happened than otherwise.

If anyone can explain to me about this, please do: What the hell was going on? What was it? If it was a ghost or something, aren't they supposed to simply pass through everything and anything, so why couldn't it just come inside and attack me (as I distinctly felt that it wanted to)? Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? If yes, where?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AD_25, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sakie (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-17)
It's quite scary to think that you had to endure such a spooky encounter, all by yourself, in the wilderness!

While we all compel ourselves to give in to our will and taste for adventure, this however, can sometimes backfire. Having said that I really don't mean to dissuade you to not venture out on adventures, yet again, maintaining caution is a great idea. Next time around, if at all you believe in, do recite Hanuman Chalisa. It's magical and helps drive fear out of your system pretty quick.

All the best for your future endeavors!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Terrifying experience 😭 I admire your courage AD_25...Bravo!
😊

I was also thinking about another possibility as that area is known for Himalayan Brown and Black Bears from the Sanctuaries nearby... Though a distant one yet might be possible...

Thanks
Regards
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
It must have simply been weather phenomena.
Besides, you were hungry and alone... So perhaps it was just that.
But the fact that you went to Bhangarh and showed that no ghost came near you proves you are brave.
Well done AD25!
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
Well from everything you said and all those who did't see anything, your friends and those who came back with them (if anyone who would know anything of the area they would, one would think) so no tracks outside (wind can cover blowing snow very fast) no damage out side and locals willing to work outside in that area at night can only lead to one of two things - High altitude brain freeze and nothing you said had any sign of that, there Must have been something inside that car keeping that thing out... From the sound of it - It wanted you most tic... Easy pickens so to say alone and all that...
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-26)
Hi Jerryhend1,

Sorry, but the only damage to the vehicle was done by me from the inside. I distinctly remember since I footed the repair bill.

Vinaykumar,

I would have been prompt in mailing the clear situation, but I have been as clear as I can be in the story written here. This can be deduced by lengthy nature of story telling. Apart from what I have already said, I might be able to answer specific questions but would not be able to add much by way of new light or new facts.

Thanks.
vinaykumar (4 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-08-23)
Well my friend I heard there was a major and scary accident. If you could describe the situation very cleary I will do my best to solve the mystery and p.l mail it to phantomkiller123 [at] gmail.com

Regards
VinayKaran
😁 ❤
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-18)
I really wish I could tell you, if it had been humans you would have been toast, but it really sounds like you were somethings plaything for awhile o you never did say or I didnot see it, was there any damage to the car on the outside?
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
Jerryhend 1,

I am an atheist, so there were no religious items in the vehicle. However, I can't say anything about the tracks around the vehicle. When my friend reached me I was way too relieved to be observant. Though my friend did make several rounds around the vehicle to assess the damage I had caused. I am sure if there were any weird tracks he would have mentioned it.

Thanks for the heads - up, the tracks part never came to my mind.
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
Well, somthing was messing with you, was there anything in the car IE religious items that you remember? Because if it was demon of some sort it would have just went in and got it's humansickle. The energy was way too much for a ghost, and you never saw the thing, so no bigfoot or dogs or humans, the one thing I need to ask, did anyone see traks around the car?
Trudy (92 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
Dear AD.,

A demon was messing with you. Growling is a sign of a demon. You have courage. I would have run or done something stupid.
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Shama,

I am sorry to say that there is nothing to the 'Scariest Place in India' but pure hype. There is nothing to be afraid. Before my stated experience, I would have scoffed at the mention of ghosts. But well... At least I didn't see or feel anything during my nights out at Bhangarh.

However, I would like to warn you that the place is at times home to something worse than ghosts - drunk ruffians. So, if you ever plan for a night out at Bhangarh, do so in a group, the bigger the better.
Shama (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
...Rohtang pass way to ladakh... Its closd due to snow from jan on... Next time I visit there I wil ask folks there if they too experencd such things there... But I am more shocked about you staying overnite in bhangrah ruins... Dint you experence anythng or feel anyting? Please let us know about it. Thnx a million.
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-10)
RMJJ,
It would be well appreciated if you keep your not so hidden lack of knowledge to yourself, in case you cannot make a worthwhile comment. And next time you are in Manali in December, hail any of the several local ration jeeps that take food & stuff for Keylong (which is well beyond Rohtang). It is not until late January when fresh snow takes effect that you find yourself stuck at Solan valley approach. By the way, do you even know where Rohtang is?
Please do not leave anymore idiotic comments here any more!
RMJJ (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-06)
It's strange how no one knows that the Rohtang pass is not open in December for the public, so how in the first place did AD 25 get there?
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
wow this is a creepy experience iam even terrified and this kind of journey chills to death really as rookdygin said where is monali in india I don't know since even iam from india and I don't think it is such as you described well quite creepy
Scary boy
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
AD-25,

I had to ask, I saw where you were from and where this took place and you had not specified which temp scale in your story. Thank you for that clarification.

If you have more stories please share them with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
And rookdygin, it was -7 degree Celsius, if it was Fahrenheit I wouldn't have lasted past few minutes
AD_25 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Hi,

Thanks all for the comments.

In fact, I did do a significant amount of research, but I still cannot make head or tail out of my experience. Poltergeists, Ghosts, animal spirit, whatnot... Just does not make any kind of sense.

I am not a guy who scares easy, but the experience really scared me. Believe me when I say that by the end the ferocity of its, whatever it was, attacks was palpable. It is hard to digest that it was trying to help or just scare me.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Great story,

DA you may be onto something, however let me add a possible twist... Could it have been trying to 'help'?

AD 25, you stated that you were in high altitude/extremly cold conditions -7 and falling you said (F or C?) Either way bitter, bitter cold. I feel that whatever it was may have been trying to keep you active so you would stay warm, granted it scared you but at the same time you didn't freeze. I'm sure you were dreesed for the temp, then again you hadn't planned on sleeping in a car on the side of the road in/at high altitude and exttremly cold conditions.

Thanks again for the story.

Respectfully,

Rook
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Great story, in the beginning I was like, "where is this going?" but when the action started, it was great!

Did you ever do research as to what it could have been? Maybe you could find some stuff online about animal spirits or something.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Excuse me, AD_25. Tkkchang, did you say BIG FOOT? Even if such a thing did exist, the author clearly stated that in spite of the frost seen, the creature was invisible to the naked eye. That makes as much sense as claiming it was Santa Claus.

Blessings,
DA
tkkchang (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
It sounds more like big foot. I don't know if there is such a thing, but all the same it is scary. 😭
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Wow...I'm really baffled by this experience. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It seems possible to me that this was possibly an animal spirit, because it only communicated in growls and seemed to grow afraid when you made a commotion. It almost sounds--in actions--like a bear. I'm not sure if it was trying to attack you or not, but it sounds like it was trying to scare you. Perhaps it felt that you were on its territory. Is the area notorious for bears at all? I doubt it, but... You never know I suppose.

Blessings,
DA
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Hi AD,

This is a very interesting experience. Usually when you sense something happening out of the ordinary and if one is able to see what is causing this odd things, we would not freak out to this intinsity. Lucky you it only messed around from the outside and not from the inside:)

Regards & Prayers
Pitleader4eva (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
It didn't attack you because it was trying to scare you. Ghosts like that are called poltergeists (mischievious) ghosts. If you ignore them, they cannot do it anymore so they give up. Don't let them scare you!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: