You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mom's House In A Small Town

Real Ghost Stories

Mom's House In A Small Town

 

About 11 years ago my mom and stepdad moved into a house in a small town right outside of Camden. The house itself was a deep gray color and was tall and the yard had hardly any grass and surrounded by trees so it stayed very shady.

Inside the house was a huge living room that led to a kitchen straight ahead, to the right was a small hallway with a bedroom on each end and a bathroom in the middle. On the other side of the living room was a door with a vent, when you open the door, it leads to this dark narrow staircase that goes to one huge room upstairs. The upstairs room had a walled off corner with a toilet and bathtub and outside that wall was the sink. The landing at the bottom of the staircase led to three small steps that went to the storage/laundry room which was ground level and then there was a sliding door into the backyard. Hopefully this gives some sort of idea about the layout.

My mom was a bartender at a local club and my stepdad worked as security so he wouldn't have to drive all the way to the club to pick my mom up and bring her back every night.

For the first few weeks they lived in the house and on returning from their jobs, they would find lights and water in the room upstairs on, sometimes the lights and water would be on all over the house. They assumed somebody was breaking in trying to mess with them so one night they put flour on the floor by the front of all the doorways and taped all of the windows shut. When they got home, sure enough the lights and water were on upstairs. The door was still locked the flour was just as they left it. So my mom went upstairs once again to switch off the lights and turn the water of and she said, "who ever you are, if you're good you can stay, if you're not you have to leave and STOP turning on the lights and water, we can't afford the bills!" After that it never happened again.

They had a huge German Sheppard named Nick and he was terrified of the room upstairs. He would stand at the bottom of the stairs and whine. The one time they did get him up there, he just sat there shaking and whining then ran downstairs.

My stepsister Lisa was around 3 years old and she had a room downstairs. She used to play in the room all day laughing and talking and would hardly come out. When my mom would ask who she was talking to she told her that her friend was there, (she had a weird name that sounded Native American? I can't remember what it was.) But she said that the little girl's parents would come get her at the end of the day and they'd go home. She described them with long black hair and that they talked funny. Indians? She didn't even know what Indians were. She told my mom that every time she came in the room her friend went away because my mom scared her. They just assumed it was an imaginary friend and left it at that.

One day my stepdad's mom stayed the night. She was sitting on the couch which was next to the kitchen doorway and thought she saw my mom's turquoise bathrobe go by and yelled in there to ask her to make some coffee and got no reply. She got up and checked in the kitchen but it was empty.

My stepdad was home alone one day and taking a bath. He had left the door open since it was just him at home. When my mom got home from town, my dad was outside. He told my mom that he looked up and saw a ball of mist float across the living room and go through the vent in that door that leads to the room upstairs. It scared him so bad he ran outside in his underwear and got dressed in the car.

My mom told me that one night they were having a cookout and heard the weirdest music she ever heard and she couldn't even describe it to me coming from the woods in the back of the house. They also saw lights. Nobody lived back there as there were woods for miles. The guys got their flashlights and guns to go see what was going on. They searched all over but never found the source of the music and lights.

When my sister and I would go stay with them for the weekend, we would play upstairs occasionally, but we would get so scared that we'd have to run downstairs after a while. My mom always made us a pallet on the floor in the living room because we only slept upstairs a couple of times and we were very frightened because we felt somebody watching us. (We were 10 and 11 years old at the time.)

After they moved out, a lady they knew moved in and she ran into my mom in a store one day and asked her if anything strange had happened. She told her yes, a few things. The lady told my mom that she saw a ball of mist come from the door with the vent and halfway across the living room turned into the figure of a woman and went out the front door. Almost the same thing my stepdad saw!

Every time we drive past that house (hardly ever) I feel like I need to be there. Something wants me there and I'm drawn to it so much. I love that house I don't know why but if I had the money and it was still for sale, I'd buy it. Would it make sense if I said I felt like there was something there for me?

Other hauntings by Missmelanie04

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Missmelanie04, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. I actually know the feeling that you got when you mentioned that something wants you in that house. I don't know if that is curiosity or something more but I would be carefull. I think it would help getting information on that house. As Rhodes said that it miight be easier saying that you lived in that house. They might understand you and treat you "more friendlyier"Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Good story! I too have had water and lights on when coming home (in one of my stories on here, I believe). We never did find out why.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Well I don't know if you could...ask...I would! I'd try to get in touch (not over the phone), tell them I used to live in that house to make them feel a bit more comfortable and ask them straight out if they have any unexplained or rather inexplicable things happening to them.

So it has been sold but nobody stays for too long. Well, sometimes present owners are seen as intruders by the "previous ones" especially if they are not very respectful to the place itself and the history embedded in its walls. Then again, I'm thinking you might actually get that chance to buy it yourself. Who knows what tomorrow brings?!

Thank you for coming back Melanie and hope to hear from you again in case you find out anything more about the house or if you wish to share another experience.

Take care
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
I always wanted to go back, even when it was for sale I considered telling the realty company that I was interested in it just so I could look around. Lol. I think somebody bought it now. I wonder if they're having all the experiences we did?

I DO know that nobody stays there very long. I don't know if they are scared by what's there, even though it wasn't evil from what I could tell... But still, I know some people have a lot of trouble dealing with fear of the unknown.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Once again I have to agree with Kecoughtan (this is becoming a habbit 😊) Melanie. I trully enjoyed your well written experiences in that house and I can definitely associate with your feelings about that house. Let's just say we sometimes connect well to the energy that the house transmits or vice versa.

I hope you will be able to purchase this house one day so that you can make it "grow and flourish" as long as your emotions do not blind you, if you excuse the expression. The thing is these houses, the ones that are more "alive" than others, can function as a pathway for "others" to follow. As long as you can maintain a "balance" in that house all is well.

Thank you for sharing 😊
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
What a fascinating story, Missmelanie04! How come I feel as though your well-written account only scratches the surface? There just seems to be so much transpiring on that property. I love your sentiments about the house and I entirely understand. Well, actually I do not pretend to comprehend why certain places seize our imagination or make use feel loved and wanted, but I, too, have sensed it--and it is a wonderful sensation of belonging, isn't it? Please keep us posted on any developments should you stop to talk to the owners or find any research. Thanks, again, for sharing this.
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
You're a sensitive my dear. You're sad because whoever or whatever is in that house, you're feeling what they're feeling when you're near.

It sounds very much like a Native American haunting, with the spirits your sister saw and the music and lights in the woods. Just because you're not in the house anymore does not mean that you cannot help the spirits move on. If they need you they will be able to find you. You're like a bright light bulb in the dark.

Try not to consume yourself too much with the house, it could overwhelm your emotions and take a very big toll on you. Understand that you are out of the house and you cannot go back. I wouldn't go in search of them, you never know what you may turn up!

You should do a bit of research on the land, see what you come up with. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
It makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for sharing this story. It's possible that the spirit in your home was that of a relative or perhaps a guardian. I'm not sure, but it sounds residual. Please let us know if you have any more encounters!

Blessings,
DA
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Never really saw anything but I always felt like somebody was watching me. I was so young at the time, I didn't understand that I could have possibly communicated with it. I just thought that if a house is haunted, the stuff just happens because of it being haunted and I never knew that it could have tried to talk to me. I've had a lot of experiences but I have yet to see the actual entity. I can sense them near and sense their moods but I can't see them. I don't know if I'm still afraid and not fully open to them where they can communicate with me or what or if I'm just not that special. Lol. I have never forgotten that house though. I've wanted to go back so bad I almost cried so many times.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Hey,

I have been reading your stories, thanks for sharing. When you stayed in this house, did anything evr try to get your atention in specific. Like anything just showing up to you or trying to get your attention. You seem to feel strongly towards the house...i'm sorry that you can't buy it...: (

Regards & Prayers,
Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: