You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Great Grandma's Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Great Grandma's Goodbye

 

I probably should have posted this story first but oh well.

The first ghostly experience I actually remember having happened a week before my 8th birthday. My great grandma had been sick and in the hospital for awhile. She passed away a week before I turned 8. My mom and grandma didn't tell me right away because they didn't want to ruin my birthday.

I was spending the night at my grandparents when the encounter happened. My grandparents built a large family room on the back of their house and that's where I was sleeping along with my 4 sisters and several of my cousins. I was woken up by Someone calling my name. I got up and walked through the kitchen into the front room. The window is set out from the room creating a little sitting area just big enough for two needlepoint chairs (my great grandma made) and a small round side table with a cut crystal lamp (my great grandma gave my grandparents as a wedding gift).

Sitting in one of the chairs was my great grandma. I thought at first she had gotten better and come home but then I realized she glowed with an inner light. I pulled up a little foot stool and sat at her feet putting my head on her knee like I always did. She felt completely real, warm and soft. She gently stroked my hair as she explained that she loved me very much but couldn't stay with me physically any longer. She told me she was no longer hurting or ill and she would always be with me watching over me. She whispered one last I love you and was gone.

That wouldn't be the last time I saw her though.

Other hauntings by AmberMoonPriestess

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AmberMoonPriestess, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I'm veryu sorry for your loss. Even thoe it has been some years we allways miss the ones we love. What you experienced was something very special. Grandma gave you something very special. She gave you her love and that love will be with you all your life. Cherish that moment and never forget that very special day that gradma came to YOU and chose you. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
devious

She was, we were very close. Shes the first person who explained to me that what I was seeing and feeling were normal, for our family at least.

She told me of many experiences she had as well as her mother and grandmother and some of their experiences going all the way back to my greatgrandparents first leaving Ireland and immigrating here. So it runs in the blood of both sides of my family.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
wolf

I am not sure but I have a few ideas.

It could be because I am more open to these types of things or because I go looking for them. I don't know why but every where I go I see things that others cant. Its why I have a hard time going to visit family in nursing homes, hospitals, and other places where death is a frequent visitor.

There are many times I just feel things and not see them.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad that you were able to say goodbye to her. It sounds like she was a really wonderful person!

Blessings,
DA
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Amber you seem to have had more ghost encounters then anyone else. How do you explain that?
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Perd

Unfortunately no they werent.

It is a wonderfull feeling but it can make someone a bit reckless.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
surya

Your welcome. I know I am but it also makes me a tad reckless:) knowing you have a guardian spirit, or more than one in my case:), makes you feel pretty invulnerable at times lol at least when I was younger I know better now but am still "arrogantly daft" when it comes to facing down spirits or going where I shouldnt
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Were any of your sisters lucky enough to have a final physical encounter with your Great Grandmother?...

How wonderful it must feel to know that she will always be protecting you in spirit.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
What a story. Thank you for sharing it with us. You are very lucky to have your great grandma watching over you always and forever.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: