You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: The Man In Black

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In Black

 

I was born in 1970. My Mom and Dad (now divorced for the last 22 years) bought a newly constructed home in a suburb on Salt Lake City. I was 1 at the time of moving from another house in the neighborhood that we were renting from. My parents were excited this was their first home since being married. I was the 3rd of 6 kids... 3 yet to be born.

I had 2 older brothers ages 5 and 6. My mom and dad wanted more kids, but were also spacing them out. Before each pregnancy of my 3 following siblings and before she knew she was pregnant, she would here a baby crying in the back room, and sure enough, she would be pregnant.

When I was about 4 years old I began having extreme nightmares of witches and things coming to life in my house. My mom would have to sit with me to help me go to sleep. (In these years my little sister and baby brother were born).

My mom had had my little brother by then... We were only 13 months apart (some spacing...indeed). And she was pregnant with my little sister. In the same years that I was having these nightmares (from about age 4-9) I was also seeing 'people' in the house. Seeing 'fiery' faces in the windows looking at me (fiery meant bright, lit up, ghostly faces), howling sounds that were not dog like. Faces peering out of the ceiling when I was in bed and probably the most scary for me, before the Man in Black, were the times when I was so scared I had to sleep with my parents, feeling their bed shake and seeing the 'faces' from the ceiling and not being able to wake my parents up.

My parents never felt the bed shake and never (or claim to have never) have seen or felt anything strange, aside from the baby cries and of another small issue explained in paragraphs below.

The sightings of the faces and sounds and bed shaking began to go away around the age of 9. But what replaced it was not any better. I began seeing a 'man' completely dressed in black, with a black hood. I never saw his face. He was almost everywhere in the house that I was. He would be standing in a corner, sitting on a chair or standing in a door frame or hallway. I was scared of him but he never did anything to harm me... Just looked at me... All the time.

I decided to tell my mom and dad about it. And with my past history and other past history in the house with the crying babies and also another occurrence when my Dad's father came to him in his room several days after he had died, left my parents to become alarmed and called in some religious authorities in our town to have an "exorcism'.

My parents didn't call it that. They just referred to it as having people come in and pray for light and for the Sprit of Jesus in the house to get rid of this Man in Black. (Years later upon reflecting of those days... It was truly an exorcism).

The Man in Black went away and I never saw him again.

I am 38 now and several months ago I decided to share my story with my little sister... Who is 34 now. I told her about it and she was dumbfounded. She had seen the Man in Black also as a child, but she claims to not have sensed or felt fear from him. But she was also 4 years younger than I was. She also claims to have seen him after I no longer saw him.

I would like to know if others have ever had this experience in their homes and if this "Man in Black" is fairly common and who or what he may have been.

Since the "man in Black" has left my life I have grown up, got married and had 3 children. I have never seen him again. But I have had many, many other out of the ordinary phenomena happen to me and my oldest daughter (who is now 16). She sees Auras, children in her rooms that disappear, people coming out of walls or doors and then disappearing. She also had a dream in 1996 when my older brother died.

I asked her to draw a picture and it was of three beings floating about 2-3 feet off the ground. 2 were wearing white gowns and my brother was wearing what she saw him in last (he had come to see her and my middle daughter and took them on a walk, played with, talked to them and read them stories 2 weeks before he died, he had never done that before and after he died we believe he knew spiritually or subconsciously he was about to pass over and came to say bye to our family). His passing was quick and unexpected.

The 2 with the white gowns had no faces. I asked my daughter why and she said "because that (pointing) is God and that one (pointing again) is Jesus and I am not supposed to see their faces". My brother was smiling. We were not religious in any way at that time. I had left my church when my eldest child was born and didn't return until 1999 to another faith.

My eldest daughter also sees "lights" around people (this is what she would call them as a child and would constantly 'whoosh' her hands around and feet to see the 'light' follow her on her hands and feet"). As she got older and we became more educated on auras, we believe that is what she sees (mine is always green).

When my last baby was born, my oldest came up to me and said my baby's light was white. She was very very sick at the time and I was very curious to see what the color white meant. On the Internet it said white was sick or ill) I am not sure if that is the truth because I have never really looked in depth to reading and seeing aura's because I don't see them.

Her ability to see them seems to be diminishing and now can only see them when she is tired or concentrates hard.

Anyhow, my family seems to have a past and present of the "weird".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fireflyest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chawkins (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-10)
Your title caught me! My husband has often talked about a man in black. His description is identical to yours. The only difference is he's actually talked to him. From what I've gathered of the conversations none of them have been pleasant. In answer to your question, yes the sensitivity to the paranormal is hereditary, although sometimes it does miss generations. I also have this "sixth sense". I tend to try and ignore it because I have had to many unpleasant encounters and prefer not to invite it, unfortunately it tends to find me.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
yes I agree with devious angel inturn with tonith because this sensitivity what matters you don't be such like and never I say anything because iam
Scaryboy 😁
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
I agree with Tonith. It sounds like it's been passed along in your family to your daughter. She has a gift; being able to read auras isn't exactly common and it can tell you a lot about people before you get involved with them. (For example, this has helped me to judge the character of a particular person before I become their friend, or trust them with financial things.)

As for the man in black, my only guess is that he was some sort of guardian spirit. The problem with exorcisms and cleansings is that they usually get rid of ALL spirits, good and bad, and sort of wipe the slate clean. It doesn't necessarily prevent future invasions either.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Blessings,
DA
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Ha Ha your parents spacing sounds just like my parents idea of spacing you just have to love Utah for that. I see a lot of shadow people but none that scare me, startle yes but not scare. It is weird that he made you feel so terrified but not your sister. Have you been able to ask other siblings it they have seen any of the same things?
Angelaandmaxthedragon (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
for your children seeks best do some research on reading auras. You can find stuff online or go a local book store and look under new age religion. If you understand it better then you can help your children understand it to. As for seeing the ghost and ghostly world you have what I call "being touched" you could see them because when you are young your mind is more open and sensitive to those kind of things. My youngest is been seeing my sister, and a dark man too. It has gone to the point where she will not sleep in the same room by herself. I have had to move her into my room to keep her calm. She is only two years old. She has told him dark scary man and she points into the corner of the room. Which to me is not fair for her. My oldest use to see fairies. Not so much only more. I would have to say the worst part of all is when I am asleep I heard hundreds of people outside of my house talking all at once. It sucks. It may not help at all for me but I live right next to a Cemetery. Every night is fun.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Sounds like sensitivity runs in the family. If one doesn't hone it I guess it can diminish.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: