You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Abby Called Amy And Her Dolls

Real Ghost Stories

Abby Called Amy And Her Dolls

 

When I was younger, my mother was always convinced that I had some kind of clairvoyance for the spirit world. At rare opportunities of my life do I get to hear of when I was younger of the invisible people I would hold conversations with or how I was able to predict with clarity some happenings. I personally believe that though some of these things may have been actual contact with the spirit world, it was mostly just lucky guesses based on a very observational child.

One of my first memories of my interaction with the paranormal world occurred when I was around the age of five. However, this story requires some background before it can be fully understood:

In my old neighborhood, we had an elderly neighbor who spoiled me with beautiful glass dolls and rag dolls that she apparently had kept around the house. She had a granddaughter who lived with her because her mother had unfortunately died of a drug overdose, and she very ill. To make her happy the grandma would buy her granddaughter tons of dolls. Unfortunately, the girl died years before my family would ever meet the old woman.

At first I loved these dolls because with these dolls came an imaginary playmate. I never recall having another imaginary friend besides just this one girl. Her name was Abby, but she wanted to be called Amy instead. We went with that name, and she followed me right up until we moved into our new house. I was starting to get old by then, but I still enjoyed having the company of Amy--I was extremely shy when I was younger and it was hard for me to make friends.

Only months following our move into the new house I remember becoming deathly scared of the dolls, and all my memories of Amy cease and were replaced by the attic monster. I would have terribly vivid nightmares that haunt me to this day of what was lurking behind the ceiling door and I often woke up screaming. It also led to repeated incidents of bedwetting. I believe I've suppressed these memories because they were so frightening to me as a child. It even led to my mom taking me to therapy where I underwent hypnosis to see what the underlying cause of my fears was.

My mom relayed this account back to me, but I only repeat it now because of how serious she was and of the three times I've ever heard it in my life, it has always been the same.

My fear of dolls coincided with my fear of a monster in the attic. I remember believing Amy lived in the attic and my parents recall every time they went up to fix the insulation, I would ask them to tell Amy hi. I had grown scared of a girl who was angry about the change of houses because she had liked the other one but wouldn't leave her dolls with "anyone, even me" (as my mom says every time). Naturally, the therapist told my parents I was just scared of the change of houses and I associated the dolls with the change because I had related them to the old house or some such nonsense. Either way, the dolls were taken to the basement to be locked in storage for another few years.

When I was seven, the old lady who had given me the dolls died and we attended her funeral. My mom suggested we bring the dolls with us to give back to her surviving family, so we did and they accepted the load with smiles and words of thanks for coming to the funeral. I was keeping my distance and I was looking at the brochure. It had the woman's picture on the front with her name like any other funeral card. However, on the inside was a mini epitaph dedicated to her love in life:

"And though I leave you, I will be greeted by my little angel, my little darling Abby ------ called Amy..."

The bedwetting and night terrors subsided when the dolls left our house, and I can only assume that Amy might be happier with the rest of her family. I sincerely hope she has found her way to rest with her grandma and though I still have an extreme fear of dolls, I think I've grown up enough to understand what it really all meant.

Other hauntings by DPez

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DPez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
What a sad story.: (Very chilling though. But somewhat sweet that this poor little spirit girl couldn't leave her dolls.
mistycantsleep (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-16)
It is not uncommon for people to be attached to possessions even after death. You gave Abby/Amy a playmate but then you moved and caused her to be separated from the grandmother that raised her. Then you stopped playing with the dolls and her. Sounds like she was desperate not a monster. Giving the dolls back was probably the best thing you could gave done.
AmberTaylor3323 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-08)
I think you were dealing with what I would call 'spirit manipulation'. I think you had a demonic spirit, that was giving Amy orders to scare you. I don't think Amy was doing that on her own. She may have been angry you left that house, but I don't think a spirit that made you happy like that would be able to be that horrible to you. I have heard of many stories where that was the case. I am also scared of dolls, though! And I hope that Amy is with her Grandmother.
Conchita (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-06)
I have a severe fear off dolls to, like deathly severe. 😢
But it helps to know I'm not the only one!
Thanks for your story ❤
Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
"leave the toys" I meant, sorry for the spelling! English is not my language😲
Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Brrrrr gave me the chills 😆. I don't think is a good idea to give the toys of a dead child to another living child, it sound macabre.

Some people around the world live the toys to a charity flea market or live the toys of the dead child in his/her tomb, and I think the toys of a dead child belong there.

The belongings of a dead person feels always a little bit odd to posses. I remember getting a beautiful black scarf of a friend and after she gave it to me she told me that the scarf belonged her dead aunt who passed away because she had cancer. I was always uncomfortable wearing it. I never felt that scarf belonged to me, it felt that I borrowed it and at last I gave it to a charity home.
seesthings626 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
im the same as gbmary4049
I alway get the feeling that they are staring at me!
I know its my imagination too but still.
😳
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
gbmary: thanks for the comment:)
I know exactly what you mean about dolls being scary although I'm not as scared of them as I was before.

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you enjoyed my story
gbmary4049 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
this story made me more scared of dolls...

And I don't like dolls for if they are with you in midnight I have a feeling that they are all staring at me and smiling at me...

I know its just my imagination but it really scares me... 😢
Bytheway I still loved your story!
MeganNZ (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
HI There

Thanks for sharing you story. I really don't know why I'm on this site at night with the wind howling 😨... But what an extraordinary childhood you must have had... And a great read.

Thanks again

Meg's 😁
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
What an amazing experience! That is such an unreal story. Thank you so much for sharing that! It must have been difficult for you to lose (and then be afraid of) a spiritual playmate just because your family moved locations. I guess she wasn't ready to let go of her material possessions. Aloha nui- 4d
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-03)
Surya: I think you have my profile mixed up with scaryboy's? My email is crabbediva 😜. I have no affiliation with scaryboy. He is a separate user completely.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-03)
You are a girl so why do you call yourself scaryboy and your email address starts spookyboy. Ok
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
DPez, the end of your story gave me chills! I had been wondering, while I reading, if Amy was just an imaginary friend, but to see her name on the card and know that it was the granddaughter that passed away. So, I guess the dolls were "haunted" by her. I wonder if her remaining family felt her presence when you gave the dolls back.

Your story was well-written and enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.
Sakura (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
Ick.
I love dolls in general... But doll's eye's scare me.
In Japan, they say that the eyes are the window to the soul.
In most dolls, they stare, unblinkingly at the world, like their soul is empty, and that just scares me to no end.
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
Tonith: thank you for your input. I'll say that it's very possible that I could've overheard the name, but from what I know and gathered about the old woman it seems highly unlikely. I didn't know she had a granddaughter until after the funeral when my mom explaiend to me what happened. It seems she was a highly secretive woman when it came to her daughter and her granddaughter.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
I have never liked dolls but I don't think that is the issue here. The fact that you knew the girl's name and the name she liked to be called is the psychic factor. One could chalk it up to kids and imaginary friends if the information of the names were not corrct. Could you have over heard the old lady speaking about it as a child and you just picked up on it? Possibly. The fact remains that the dolls did have an impact on you and it's possible you were in contact with the spirit of the child that once owned them. I do hope the grandmother and granddaughter Abby are together once again on the other side.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
so young so many possiblities but here is the major two.

A.your young and you imangened all of that

B. A evil entity wanted to play triks on a poor little kid. 😢
Beast_of_the_East (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Woah. I've heard of haunted dolls, but never like this.

I hope Amy and her Grndmother are together ❤
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Thanks for the comments 😊
I don't understand why dolls are so frightening when an entity becomes attached to it. Perhaps because they're so much like our likeness but not? I think it's just scary knowing there's an object there that resembles people but doesn't have a soul
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Thanks for the story! This was a frightening, strange tale and I'm glad it ended well.
I'll go with a few others on here and say dolls sometimes freak me out. If a spirit were to get into a doll and let me see it, I would come unglued in a second.
Vampiress (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
i have lots of porcelain dolls all in my room and I have to admit, they are a bit scary at night. If I stare at them for a while it looks like they glare or smile or even wave. Its strange, sometimes I can't even sleep in my room because of it 😕
rawriwantmycooki (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
Hmmmm good storie *clap clap* well them dolls were the only things that child loved the most in this world so of course it will follow them. It got violent when you guys moveed cause it was away from her grandma so it was determend to make your life a living hell intill you go give the dolls back. But when the women died they were together. You could hve kept the dolls THEN butstill its best to give it to the famly.

Byebye 😆

~~~~laura!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
That was a breathtaking story DPez and a very well told one!

Now I think I will stick to my previous post about the male entity at home. It IS your ability to sense the spirit realm that makes you being singled out.

Thank you for sharing!
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
scaryboy and dreamergal72: thanks for the comment 😊 I hate accepting dolls as gifts too but in understand what you're saying about hurting their feelings by denying the gift.

Surya: I'm a girl 😉 but thanks for the comment anyways

Blank: it's so strange how terrified children can get and how it can affect us as we still get older.
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
Hey that was really a terrific incident, and I can understand the heights of fear you must have been through at that age. A similar incident like this has happened to one of my friends.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
You have dolls wow you must be the first boy to have a bunch of dolls, a bit unusal though might I say.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
good story nothing to say much and nullness to comment upon your story I too have a bunch of dools but not as that of dreamergal
Never I say anything because iam
Scaryboy
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Hmm I have bunch of dolls in my 36 years. What scare about it I don't see it but I hate that movie call chucky lol that scare me to death. But I have to accpect someone who give me something or I hurt their feeling yeah. But I hate clown doll kind of spooky me lol, really. Hope amy gone to light to be with her grandma.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: