You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Knocking at my Door

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking at my Door

 

I've been googling and trying to look up "knocking on the door and no one there" and came to this web site. I've found many interesting reads here. I would like to add my own personal experience. Usually my troubles come when I am sleeping and always at 3:00 am. There used to be a dark silhouette of a man standing at the foot of my bed and letting out a terrible holler so terrifying it woke me up and I would be in a panic attack. I would also get a knocking at the front door at 3:00 am (again would wake me up) and I would go to see who was at the door and no one was ever there. I moved last April and didn't have anything happen until around November. Every once in awhile I hear that knock at the front door. When I first heard it I was afraid I'd get that figure at the bottom of my bed again but I have heard the knocking several times and the figure has not returned.

Last night it happened again at the same time - 3:00 am. I went and looked but no one was there. I don't understand what I'm experiencing and I'm wondering if it is a good spirit at the door trying to warn me about something or if it is a bad spirit trying to get me. I've been told it could be attributed to PTSD but I have had no reason in the past year to have anything reactivate that. Also, when I'm sleeping sometimes I feel like I'm being pressed hard into my bed and sometimes I feel like I have a ghost in my body and all I'm doing is projectile non-stop vomiting. And of course when I wake up I'm panicking. I guess that has happened only once since I moved.

Just curious what your thoughts about this are. Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Interesting. Once again 3:00am comes into play. Could this be the true "witching hour" instead of midnight? 😉
I just find it interesting that some of the more scary experiences seem to happen at 3:00am. As I have mentioned in a previous comment, the dogs in our neighborhood go absolutely crazy each morning at 3...
TammyMom (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Tina, I have read more than once, on different websites, that three knocks on your door is an omen of an impending death in your family. It could even be the death a close friend of the family. Search for stories with names such as 'Three Knocks', or 'Three Knocks at the Door'. You should be able to find something which pertains to what I'm talking about. I have experienced this phenonenon myself.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-07)
Tina,
i just now finished reading your story as I am new to the site.

i certainly hope that the cleansing ceremony and prayers have helped with your problem.

i will keep you in my prayers as well.

God Bless!
Sam (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-09)
Dear Tina,
Wow! That is eerie. I have had things like that happen to me before. Like hearing a chair scrape against the floor in our kitchen or anything else. I think that the ghost that is knocking on your door has lived in that house and in that room. All you have to do when the ghost knocks on your door, is say "What do you want from me? Please, this isn't funny. Leave me alone!" Then maybe the ghost will leace you alone.

GOOD LUCK!
Sam
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-25)
Tina,

I am so glad we are able to help you. Plus I wish to say I am sorry for overstepping my boundries. I should have never said "if" John loves you, because I am positive that he does. Hopefully he would also be willing to take part in the ceremony. The ceremony can take a while to perform and once started should not be stopped. That is why I say to pick a time when you are not going to be interupted and it may take a couple of times of doing this to completely rid yourself of the negative energy. You sound as if you have a very open mind and heart and this is good. You will need the following items, a white sage bundle or white sage bundle with cedar or cedar leaves, the white sage bundle with cedar would elimate one of the steps, braided sweet grass, a stone or earthen bowl something that is able to withstand the heat, small amount of sand, and a large feather. All of which you can purchase on line or sometimes at an herbal shop or Native American Reservation. Place about a half inch of sand in the bottom of your bowl, this will help to reduce heat transfer to your hand. Light your sage bundle, it should smolder not flame up and place in the bowl, do not blow on it to keep it smoldering, if it goes out during the ceremony just stop right where you are and light it again. I recommend starting with yourself. Start at your left foot fanning smoke in a circular motion around yourself with the feather and envision the negative energy being forced from your body as you fan the smoke up along the left side of your body over your head and down your right side. Now go to the entrance to your home facing outside and start to the left, fanning the smoke with the feather all along the walls and corners, if you come to a room go in the room along the left side and continue on. Same thing with a staircase and each room on that level until you have made a complete circle of your home and reached the entrance again closing the circle by going back to the starting point. You will have to envision the negative energy being forced out of your home the whole time you are doing this you can also be saying a prayer if you like. You will do this procedure with each of the sacred herbs finishing with the sweet grass braid. If you purchased the sage and cedar mixed bundle you will only have to perform it twice, if not all three will need to be performed. There are other methods of performing this ceremony, you can research them and choose the one you are most comfortable with. This is just one of the ones I prefer. Do not take this ceremony lightly or as a joke as it would be a dishonor to do so and would make it noneffective. Peace, Love and Luck be with you.
Tina (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-24)
Shane, I would love to learn how to do the cleansing ceremony myself. I think I would feel more comfortable and able to focus and be able to put my whole heart into it if I were alone but I have no idea where to begin.
Athena, thank-you for your concern of my well being. I have had help for the PTSD and it is more under control than it ever has been. Sometimes it can be difficult dealing with known triggers - in the literal sense - but I no longer am taken back to certain "memories" of my past. Spirtual help -- that's a whole different story. That is a constant struggle for me. I believe in God in my own way. I tried church but never felt like I belonged there. So I don't feel comfortable seeking help from the church. When I have experiences with "the evil one" I pray to God for protection and pray the lord's prayer over and over. One time when I was "dreaming" that something evil had entered me and it was making me scream uncontrollably I started chanting the lord's prayer in my head over and over and then I saw a cross surrounded with bright white light that pushed the evil away. I guess my struggle is because I'm Christian but don't completely agree with the way things are taught in the church. I feel more comfortable going it alone and in my own way and listening to my own inner feelings about things. And with saying this I don't mean to start a religous debate because I feel that everyone comes to know "God" in their own way and no two people are the same so that experience is going to be different for everyone. It is just my struggle to come to accept that because it seems like "going to church" is pushed so much sometimes that it doesn't allow me to feel ok with my own belief system. It seems like for me seeking spiritual help from within is more helpful to me.
I must say that I am very impressed by the knowledge of the people posting comments here and I'm glad I found this site.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-24)
Tina,

Try to talk John into it, if he truely loves you he will understand that this is for your peace of mind, after performing the cleansing ceremony with white sage, you should follow on with cedar, then sweet grass. You should pick a time when you will not be disturbed. You will need to perform each of these one after the other. That way you remove all the negative and only leave or draw in positive engergies. If you want I can send you instructions on how to perform the ceremony yourself. I can post it here if you like. Any way, good luck to you. Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-23)
Dear Tina,
It is my hope that you have already sought those who can counsel and help you medically and emotionally, especially with your PTSD. You may also want to consult with those who can counsel and help you spiritually (based on your own belief system). All these helpful resources are of your own free choosing, belief system and within your comfort level. They are there if you ask and seek them out. Just like you found this site.

No child or adult should have to live in a war zone. It can make or break the human spirit and leave the soul wide open to avenues of self growth, self destruction or both. Each human being deserves to be loved, cared for, and to be happy.

I do not know who this "John" person is, but if he truly loves and supports you, your welfare and finding resolve to your problems should be his top priority, as it is yours. Those who love you are there for you through the good, bad and the ugly, especially the bad and ugly. If you believe this cleansing ritual will help you, then you must explain it to John. If he does not want to be a part of it, then you can carry it out on your own or invite loving people to support you or those who do such blessings as priests, ministers, shamans and the like. If it is your intent and causes you no harm and harms nobody else, than proceed with whatever you feel to be right for you, even if it means going against the wishes, dictates, manipulations and/or control of others. You came to this earth to live "your" life, not anyone else's.

As far as the cleansing ritual goes, what harm could it do? In fact, it could help not only you, but the atmosphere of the entire home, others, and yes, even John. It certainly could do no harm to give it a try.

It seems you have two entities, one you sense as a guardian type and another who does not mean you well. It sounds like the age old earth story of "good" versus "evil". Frankly, if you have it within you to go past your fear, you might try confronting these unseen and unwanted entities by just telling them out loud to leave. You can thank the guardian and say you appreciate the help, but you would prefer not to have the contact and they can protect you unseen. While you are talking to the guardian, tell him/her to take the not so well meaning one with. If you really believe this and say all of this with intention, it will work. Just like the cleansing ritual will work, if you truly believe and have strong intention. The more people you have
around you and who believe and have strong intention like yours also helps. That is why it's great to have people, friends and family who love and support you and are on your side when trouble like this arises. If you believe you can get through this, you will. I believe you will. Believe in yourself and take back your own power.

An added note which may help you, I imagine I am covered inside and outside with bright, white and/or purple light. This is my suit of light armor. Around this armor of light, I have mirrors encasing the armor that reflect back other people's energy. What belongs to me is mine, and what belongs to others is there's. I am responsible for myself and my actions. They are responsible for their's. All around me, I envision the same bright, white light and/or purple light with archangels and the angel realm of warriors of light. I have always known that I am protected, loved and cared for even when the outside world did not mean me well. As I've said many times before here on this site, stand in your center, empower yourself and love yourself. If this was the first thing we learned from our parents and our schools, we would not have so many wounded souls.

Tina, believe you will heal. Believe in yourself. I believe in you, and so do all those who read your story and this comment here. You deserve the best life has to offer, take what is your right. All the best to you with love, Athena
Tina (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-23)
Thank-you Shane and Rose. I would like to do the cleansing ceremony I definitely think it would give me a peace of mind but I'm not sure John would go for it. I do pray often and have had very positive experiences with that. But whatever/whoever it is is pretty stubborn. When I was a child, after my Step-Grandfather (often had negative feelings about him) died was when I first started experiencing things. But our property also borded a cemetary which I also got very bad vibes from. I know this sounds crazy but it's true, one night someone saved my life. First I was woken up out of a sound sleep knowing that something bad was going to happen at midnight which I alerted my mother to. Then somehow I went back to sleep (but mom didn't). My father ended up coming home at midnight and was in a drunken stupor and tried to shoot us. I didn't realize what was going on, I thought our house was on fire and went to get my Dad because I thought he was stuck in his bedroom. Turns out that he was in there getting his revolver. When I got to the top of the stairs it was like all of a sudden there was a plate of glass that I could see through but couldn't go any further. Then I saw him crawling out of his bedroom pointing the gun at me. That's when something grabbed my ankle and pulled me down the stairs where my mom and brother were opening the door to run out - which I obviously followed as fast as I could go! Every night after that someone would walk into my room and then my brothers; as if they were checking on us. When I turned on my light no one was ever there.
Now the knocking on my door... I get the same feeling as I did with the presence of that particular night. But the one at the bottom of my bed and the one that feels like it enters is one in the same and a whole entirely different (terrorizing) feeling.
So I'm hoping my "guardian angel" will stay and the other one will go away! I can't think of anything in my house now that would be attached to anything negative. I do still have a lot of "memories" in my storage shed which is not on the property but not far away either. My mom's hope chest and a piano which were in my house as a child - maybe that's it.
Thank-you so much for listening and giving me feedback and helping me to try to sort this out - I appreciate it!
(Just thought of something else - the doll that I've had since I was 6 and when I was a child clung to every night -- that is in my house now and in my daughter's room, who coincidently wakes up frequently with nightmares about vampires and death!)
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-23)
Tina,
PTSD episodes are usually brought on by something that is associated with the event that caused the PTSD in the first place. I.E. Loud sudden noises, flashes of light, etc. First thing, not all spirits are evil, or demons. Spirits are more often than not souls that have remained on earth for whatever reason. They continue on in the after life as they were in life. I.E. If they were a kind hearted person, they will be kind hearted in the afterlife. If they were mean, well then they are going to remain mean. I always recommend having yourself and your new home blessed or a cleansing ceremony performed before you move in to remove any negative energy. You can also have this done to objects before moving them in so that all negative energy stays outside of the home.
If you choose a cleansing ceremony just contact a local Native American tribe and they can tell you who or how to have it done. Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
rose (9 stories) (92 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-23)
Interesting.
What you have, is following you. These things clings to one. Especially if someone have given you an object, a gift, or something. What kind of people have you receive items ? If there is something, or suspect, throw it away.

Once, a friend of my mother told her, that a friend of hers, who moved to a basement apartment in New York had an awful experience. She had a child. When they went into thier apartment, the kid would cry and never stopped. When she got out the baby was ok, but when they went back, the kid would cry and cry. So, they decided to move again, the mother and the baby had to sleep over a friends house, until they gor another apartment. Well, they did got one. But his time, it seemed, it didn't work. The child would cry and cry again. Then she started thinking, How does these things follows you? , She took with her a contact paper that belong to their previuos apartment, which the last tennant left. It was a nice design. The thing is, the last tennats practice what we called, "La Obra" "The Work", spiritism. They through it away and problems solved. Anyway, be careful. You know what to do. But, do seek help. If it is not the case.


Or you are sensible to being scare, They know it. But pray. Remember, they like to play jokes for a laugh. You need to pray and have faith. You can overpower them, by praying from the heart and faith.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: