You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Church

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Church

 

The old church in our "barrio" was made years after World War 2. It is dedicated to Saint Joseph the husband of Virgin Mary. That's why our parish patron saint feast is celebrated on March 19. There are church buildings that are made before the present one but are destroyed during the war. Many of the people who live there know that there are many Japanese soldiers and Filipino guerrillas that are being buried there. That's why many people also who clean and take care of the church, or maybe just pass by experienced scary ghost stories.

These stories happened when I studied in our province for high school. It was 6:00 pm and my aunt was the one who will ring the bell that time. The purpose of ringing the bell is for the Angelus and for their daily praying of the Rosary. When my aunt started ringing the bell near the door of the church, someone said to her "hi!" behind the door yet there is nobody there in the church before her. She just ignored that and trying to be brave. When the ghost repeated saying "hi" twice already, my aunt couldn't take it any longer and ran going to their house. When she already reached their house, my cousins asked her what happened because she looks very afraid.

After that, my aunt didn't know that one of our neighbors also entered the church to sweep the floor. When she entered the sacristy to get a broom, she heard some footsteps from the church door going to where she is. She honestly told us in that time she is really very scared but she also tried to be brave saying to the ghost: "If you are there, come on and show up!" After saying that, the sound of the footstep was gone.

Another was told to me by another of my cousins. It was pass 6:00 pm; she finished selling food and fixing things in a canteen in an elementary school of our "barrio". She passed on the side of the church. Then suddenly she heard as if somebody is running inside the church. She knows nobody is inside the church that time because the lights we're off and it's too dark. She ran as fast as she could just to reach the spot light near their house.

It is really very scary but what I know is these experiences test our braveness and our faith to God.

Other hauntings by Akatsuki07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Akatsuki07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amanthul (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Great finds Surya. Reading from the oldest comment up, I was skeptical if there truly are ghosts in churches. But now, I think there could be "benevolent" spirits dwelling in churches. From the story though, It's really hard to tell, it's highly likely just a prank.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
St Botolph's Church Ghost
In 1982, photographer Chris Brackley took one of the most famous ghost photos ever inside the historic St Botolph's church. When it was developed he was astonished to see a figure standing in old-fashioned clothes on the upper loft balcony

St Paul's Cathedral Ghost Photo
During the renovation work to St Paul's Cathedral after the First World War, a hidden doorway leading to a secret room in the dome was discovered inside the chapel dedicated to General Kitchener. This wall is where "Whistler's" Ghost always disappeares into

This ghostly figure that appears to be praying is said to have not been seen by the photographer Gordon Carrol when the photograph was taken. The photo was taken at the church of St. Mary the virgin, in Northampton, England.

St Mary's Church Ghost
There is a photo, taken in 1964, is the first time the praying ghost has been captured on film. However, this is not its first sighting. The ghost has been spotted many times during the last century, and its haunting has been well documented.

Here is the link - go check it out.

Www.ghost-story.co.uk/hauntedchurches

So I think that proves there are ghosts / spirits in churches.
Akatsuki07 (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
To Scaryboy, please don't judge me basing on the story that I wrote but again thanks for your comment 😁
Akatsuki07 (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Actually my aunt didn't see it. She just heard it and the priest there just come once a week, only in sundays. And those things happened not during sundays. There are also instances that lost souls go to a holy place for help. Just like the stories I've heard from a priest who came to Baguio to visit the Carmelite Convent. Well, thanks for the comment and opinion.
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Bro don't get me wrong, but I strongly say it can't be a ghost. There were many instances that human spirits would refuse to face religious places irrespective of religion. If you are still sure that your aunt did see it and many more had similar experiences it would be a different case. I will let you know after you reply.
searchingsam (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
I don't know if the church is haunted or not. Could be as Hobbyholly stated. Or could be as your family did actually encounter something paranormal. There are numbers of hauntings in churches. You wrote that there was fighting there during the WW11. I would bet someone killed in the fighting was not happy about dieing there. I agree with you that a church can be haunted. Maybe not with demons but with lost souls.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
err, I don't think the church was haunted.

MUCH like schools, it isn't really empty until the janitor leaves. With churches (at least mine) its pretty much unlocked all day and one of the two pastors are there.

I mean, that "hi" that was heard really could have been a real person. Someone running, really could have been running in the church, despite the lights being off
Akatsuki07 (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
I myself is a Christian and I believe Jesus is inside the church but consider that there are two kinds of ghost. Devil that pretend to be a ghost and a ghost of a human. I believe that even inside the church devils can come in to tempt people and even ordinary souls can enter the church maybe to pray and ask God for help. I know devil are afraid of Jesus but God gave them freedom to tempt people to test them. Well anyway I respect your opinion. Thanks for the comment.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
please open your eyes and purify them with divinity. How crazy and foolish that you said that even churches are haunted, don't they fear of god... That too the lord jesus... Might be someone is playing prank on you... Dont again say these words outside and get the scoldings of your folks
Really
YOURS IS A CONVULSING STORY,
THAT CHURCHES ARE HAUNTED WHICH COULD NEVER HAPPEN, THAT INDIRECTLY YOU SAY THAT
"JESUS IS NOT THERE"

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: