You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Department Store

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Department Store

 

Wasn't long after the Little Old Lady incident I headed down to Sydney where I got a great job as clerk in a big flashy department store (name withheld). It was an old building built in the mid 1800's. Now, where my office was located was away from everyone else in a small pokey office, no bigger than, say, a bathroom. Above the office were empty offices (I'll get to these offices soon) and a room across away from my office that had the fax machine, photocopier and a storage room.

My workmate had the week off so I had the room for myself. Already, barely one week in the job, something strange happened. First I kept seeing this "man" in a grey boiler suit watching me from the corner of my eye. Each time I would turn around, the "man" was gone. I didn't take much notice. Then stuff would disappear, and I would hear "voices" in the empty rooms. This was in my first week and I wasn't going to tell anyone just in case they thought I was a loony. I would also hear a phone ring, an old telephone bell or people walking up and down the hall and yet there would be no one there.

I finally worked up the courage and told Linda, the chick I was working with *sigh* and she looked at me and said: "You heard that, too?" So, thank God I wasn't the only one. I have been seeing the man for ages just standing there with his hands in his pockets that he became a part of the furniture, so to speak. Then I would smell cigarettes, yet no one was allowed to smoke in this area, I would smell perfume I didn't recognise (if you worked among women and you were a single 20 year old, you would get to know the perfume these women wore), hear whispering next to me. It all came to head one evening on a cold, wet July.

My boss asked me (why me, I don't know) to do some overtime. Cool, I thought, extra cash to get drunk and see some decent bands. So I nodded and said "yeah, sure why not, got nothing else to lose."

I did the usual boring rubbish, typing this, typing that blah blah blah. It was roughly 9pm and I decided to take a break. I decided to go upstairs to check out the old, empty offices. I climbed those stairs (creepy music if you please) and stood in the hallway. I had a torch (flashlight) for my way home so I flicked it on and walked down the hall. I tried one of the rooms and the door opened. I stepped in. I was suddenly overwhelmed by this feeling, as if I just walked into a room full of people. I felt they, whoever they were, didn't want me there and were waiting for me to leave. It was an electric feeling so I backed out and closed the door. I walked up the hallway and found a ballroom. Back in the 20's and the 30's they used to have ballroom dancing during lunch time. I don't know why but they did but, to my horror, I saw a man and a woman both dressed in the 1930's clothing both dancing to music clearly only they could hear.

Man, I ran like hell and did I run. I was shaken up but I finished my work. After that? More strange things started to happen. I was standing in the lift when it stopped mid floor and there was something in the lift with me because when I finally got out, something grabbed me by the elbow that had me screaming. I stumbled out with the Big Boss and more Big Bosses standing there looking at one of their employees fighting off whatever was attached to him. Yep, I could go on but I won't but that scared the hell out of me!

The man in grey I found out was the original owner and my office was his office.

Stay tune for my Irish adventures...oh, yeah, around about this time I had the Christmas Ghost experience... See my story "The Christmas Ghost".

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
Very good story! You let the suspense build, Red Dog. I'm commenting even though the story is three years old because we have a big old 1890s era department store in my town that has been turned into living spaces. I have had consistent dreams about it, as have other people I know, and the dreams are centered around one area, the site of an elevator accident, not unlike the one in New York City in December. Weird.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-19)
To tashca, I can't reveal it just in case I get sued but all I can say is it's in Broadway Sydeny then you'll know. I've lready researched the history and really couldn't find much because there mustn't much to be found LOL seriously
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Thanks for sharing your story! Australia seems to be packed with ghosts and I always love to read stories about them. I hope to read more of yours soon.
tascha (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
what was the name of the building in sydney where you use to work, might have some history on it. 😲
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
oh no, the old fella in the white boilersuit wasn't killed, he just died of heart attack in his beloved office. That was I was told one evening during an office party by one of Big Bosses (one of them saw me 'dancing' out of the lift). He told that old fella loved his work and was just checking out who I was.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
Many times when people own their homes or their office firms, they hang around that area or visit it, after they have left this world.

They should move on but just don't. Sometimes they don't know they are dead, especially if they were killed suddenly. This is what it sounds like to me.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
You bet I do but a little later. I've experiences in Ireland that'll make your hairs stand on end and a very strange one in New Zealand back in 2000... Stay tune 😨 😆
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
I don't have a comment about your experience, I just want to say I like the way you told your stories! Very awesome 😁
tascha (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
hi I'm frm aust too,
That was an interesting story"

Do you have some more ghost stories?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: