You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Raspy Growling

Real Ghost Stories

Raspy Growling

 

TThe other night, I was lying down on my bed relaxing. It was a pretty normal night and I was on the phone talking to a friend, while my kitten sat on my chest.

Then out of absolute nowhere, I heard a raspy growling noise in my ear. It lasted for about...5,6 seconds? To be honest, it sounded like the growling was coming from right next to me! Now, that would mean something was either right next to me on the bed or standing next to the bed.

My kitten even jumped a little when he heard it. However, I didn't see anything. Nothing at all. At first, I thought maybe I was just imagining things, but now I'm sure I wasn't. It was very real and since my kitten heard it too, I'm going to say that something was in the room with me.

I'm still kind of freaked out, and that was a few days ago. I honestly have no idea what it could have been. It sounded slightly like it could have been from an animal. It's just I rarely hear about animal ghosts and what not.

In my family, we have had many dogs that have passed on. My mom often talks about them. Still, I can't figure out why a ghost of a dog would come back to haunt me.

I mean, I guess whatever it was, could have been human, it's just weird that they decided to growl at me, randomly.

Comments? Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GeenuhTheGenocideBearr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

weila (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-08)
I'm glad other people have experienced this. I had to Google "growling ghost dog" because this is exactly what happened to me last night and it sounds similar to what others have experienced. I have just started a temporary job as a housekeeper in the Scottish Highlands, I am staying in a large caravan at the side of the B&B. Last night, the cat that belongs to the owners of the B&B came into the caravan and slept on the bed with me. I woke up in the middle of the night, it was pitch dark, I patted the cat on the head and then suddenly I heard what I can only describe as a dog growling ferociously for about 3 seconds, and it was so loud and clear that it sound like it was either in the room or directly below the caravan. The cat heard it too and jumped off the bed and ran straight out of the room but eventually returned. It was so weird, I can't explain it. No electricity or hot water was being used so it wasn't the generator, and the location is far from any main roads so it definitely wasn't a truck outside. I've always been more of a dog person but love all animals and if there are no dogs around I'll give my love to a cat. I've never been to this place before so I've no connection to it and I'm not sure if the previous owners had a dog. I'll be listening again tonight...
MeganRagsdale (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-10)
Hi, My family dog, best friend and protector died on Feb, 23 2010. We all was very upset! He died in my mothers truck on the 25th I took a picture and his spirit was behind me in her truck. I also the other night was laying in bed listoning to music and a loud growl kept aproching my ear. It scared the living hell out of me, I have heard if you see dead in full it is the bad spirits discised. I do see parcial spirits which doesn't bother me but I had a dream of him coming back in full body... I just don't understand why the growl was so loud in my ear. It says on a website that growling is the spirit protecting you but I'm sorry it made me scared as heck. I do see and hear paranormal activites and etc but this was different and really creepy. Anyone know why?
Matthew (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
There's something about the low growling voice out of nowhere as I first heard it twenty minutes ago, gave me the chills. I was listening to a song, and instad of freaking out I analyzed it about three times before it went away lasted about four to five sec. Trying to figure out why I didn't hear this before in that simple rap. And wether it came from some browser window on the net, or from the headset microphone I have hanging from the wall (connected), sounded like it came from the speakers though, right next 2 me. Strange growl God have mercy. +
joshuaprss (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
I Actually have had an experience like that I was sleeping and my dream was me in a car that people died in and in my dream I was seeing ghost I woke up and I heard the growl it wasn't a car sound it was like a raspy growl it was really scary sounding it sounded like it was coming from right next to me
raja1020 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-25)
Have you ever had a dog? If so, he or she might not like the idea of you having kitten or even another pet.
GeenuhTheGenocideBearr (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
In response to JHunter; Wow that's scary! && No, the kitten that sat on my chest was the brother to the one whom my dog killed.

In response to Kuehnau; Haha true. I doubt a past family dog came to visit personally, because the growling could have been anything really.

Thanks for the comments!:]
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Sounds are always something I am very skeptical about, especially since there is a infinite number of sources they could be coming from. Sounds are even more complex then most of us make them out to be, I mean look at the English language! One thing that might be a growl for you, could be something to someone else entirely! Since your cat heard it, it means that it wasn't just your imagination, so that is something you can cross off your list.

If it keeps happening, check around your room and your house, see if you can't find the source of the growl. Even try to look outside around your home near your room. There is so many things it could be, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of a deceased family dog coming back to visit.

In the end, you are only left with your own experiences and will have to judge them on your own and come up with your own conclusions. It isn't that unheard of, to have a pet stay with the family long after it has passed away. Animals and people can build strong relationships that can last well long after one or the other has died. Just because you heard the growl doesn't mean that it meant any harm, or that it was even targeting you directly.

If it was a good dog in life it will most certainly be a good dog in death. I for one would feel more at ease if a family pet decided to stay with me after they died, they would make great protection against any wandering spirits with evil intentions.
Jhunter (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Wait... Your dog killed your kitten? The same kitten that was on your chest or a different one?
Jhunter (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
I know exactly what you are talking about, the same thing happened to me when I was staying at an old inn located in Ireland. I had gone to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night in the pitch dark to the sound of very loud, unearthly growling right in my right ear. It sounded so close I thought it had to be a person up against me, but I could not feel any breath. I thought a maniac rapist had gotten into my room and was about to attack me. I was so afraid I just lay there with my eyes wide open, I could see the red light on in the smoke detecter, but that was all that was visible. After what seemed like an eternity, (probably under 1 minute) I couldn't take it anymore, so in one swift motion I reached over and slapped on the light by my bed. The very instant the light went on, the growling stopped. It was a very old building, and had been used for many things over the centuries. I don't know what that thing was, but I'll be happy if nothing like that ever happens again.
cthullu (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Maybe you heard a cat scratch something or an engine start I hear those a lot out here near farms and I think they are something but my dad tells me they are just big engines and not to be afraid of them.
GeenuhTheGenocideBearr (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Thanks for commenting! In response to Dalton; yes this is the first time I have heard growling. It wasn't anything else really because it like...hmm...it really did sound like an animal. And my windows are never opened in winter time since right now in New York it's really cold. I mean, trucks often pass by my house, but usually you can tell when it's a truck. This sounded slightly like my dog when he growls. But he was in the basement since that day he killed my kitten.

In response to Jfreekao; Mhm, it could have been a demonic force as well. But no, I wasn't dreaming because I was on the phone with my friend talking about, well, stuff that has no relation to animals and growling, haha.

Once again thanks for the comments!
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
I agree with Dalton. However, if you can't recreate it, and you're stuck with a paranormal theory, then maybe it was a demon. There is also the chance that you were dreaming, and heard something like you kitten purred, and your mind amplified it. That happens in some cases.
dalton1976 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Ok you hear this, but maybe it's your reaction that make the cat react. Is it possible? Growling is like low frequencies vibration, it can be a truck in the street, a mini earthquake, an ear problem. Try to find anything that could make this sound. Is this the first time?
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Sound creepy got have some reason why it growling. Like I say sound creepy and yes animals can sense spirits/ghosts.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: