You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Why Just A Hand?

Real Ghost Stories

Why Just A Hand?

 

So many people it seems have seen full bodied apparitions that are as clear as day. Sometimes these spirits interact with the living and sometimes it is like they are trapped in time doing the same things over and over again.

Well I have never been lucky enough to see anything like that. I have seen many shadow people and have sensed that someone else is around. There was even something that used to call my name when I was a child that did a perfect impression of my mother, usually when I was home alone.

So I find it very funny (now that it's over) that the only thing I have ever seen that has been solid and looked like a living person is a hand. Yes just a hand, after a life time of wanting and waiting to see a full bodied apparition I get a hand.

This happened in the fall of 2007.

My husband, son and myself were living in the crappy apartment in Provo that I have mentioned in another story. My husband worked graveyards at Stouffer's and would get home at around 4 or 5 a.m. Depending on how quickly he could clean the machines used to make and mix food. One night at around 2:30 I woke up and turned over onto my other side facing the door to our bedroom. Much to my surprise I noticed a man's fingers and part of his hand curled around the edge of the door just above the door knob. Just as if someone were standing outside the room and were about to pull the door the rest of the way open. I called out my husband's name and the hand let go of the door and was gone from view.

Still thinking it was my husband I got out of bed, walked over and opened the door and looked out into the front room. It was then that I realized that there were no lights on. This seemed weird to me because if Paul was home he would at least turn on the kitchen light. So I called his name again and there was still no answer. So I flipped on my bedroom light and the hall light and quickly walked across the living room and flipped on that light as well and began to search the apartment. There was no one there, and I'm sure it couldn't have been an intruder because I didn't hear anyone open a door or a window to get in or to leave.

I didn't sleep very well the rest of the night and was very happy when my husband got home in the morning.

Other hauntings by shandi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shandi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
I haven't lived in that apartment for almost three years now, and have left the area that the apartment was in. People moved in and out so frequently that I think it would just be too hard to figure out who it could have been, but it would have been kind of neat to find out. 😆
ghostmedia (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-23)
This is creepy! I have had an experience of a hand aswell, but on the top of my door like someone very tall was showing off and trying to open it from the top 😜 which is a little wierd. It was a male hand, like yours, but too small to have been my brothers, and my dad was out at the time. I can't remember but I think that he was on holiday in Spain with a few friends, so it couldn't have been him.

I think it would be interesting to see if you could find out if there is a spirit of someone know by people nearby, and mabye you could find out who the hand belonged too? Try doing some reasearch and follow up the history of your house and street.

I did try this myself, but I haven't found anything out.
Becca, http://ghostmedia.webs.com 😊
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-26)
Seeing shadows after you believed to have seen a ghostly hand seems perfectly normal to me. The human eyes are wonderful pieces of work, that are constantly working, taking in data and relaying it to the brain. Besides that, when you are looking for something, or expect to see something, sooner or later, you are going to eventually see it. Shadows out of the corners of your eyes are hardly something to get worked up about.
polkadot (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Tell us if somthing else happened so when can give you better advice! Can't help you until I here more. I'll be waiting.
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
This was the first time in that apartment that I actually saw anything. That particular apartment I personally think had a man who didn't want to leave for what ever reason. I would see "him" always as a shadow at random times almost everyday. I started seeing the shadow man a few days after the hand incident.
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
I gotta HAND it to you Shandi... That story creeped me out! And had it been ME that saw a hand, I'm not so sure I coulda HANDled it! 😜
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
In theory spirits are creatures of energy and because of that, they need to exert energy to do almost anything, and most are in agreement that they need to exert a lot of energy to even do minor or trivial things. Manifestations of a spirit are supposed to be one of the hardest things for them to do and one of the more rarer sights to have seen. The fact you got a glimpse of anything at all is luck in itself. They say the conditions have to be near perfect for anything of that nature.

That being said, it isn't unheard of, for partial manifestations of a apparition to appear. There has been stories of nothing more then severed heads appearing, from legs, to disembodied torsos. I really don't think there is a rule to what has to manifest itself.

Please bear in mind that it was also dark or at least dimmed lighting. And eyes are complex enough as it is on their own, taking in and processing so much data at once, it is likely enough it was just a trick of the eyes of some sort. Being partially asleep or groggy most likely didn't help things at all.

In any event, we are left with our own experiences and will have to make our own decisions on our encounters with the paranormal.
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
That's creepy! Something about partial apparition scare me more than full bodied ones. Was this the first time anything strange happen in your apartment?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: