You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Mom Died 75 Miles Away And Came Back To Visit

Real Ghost Stories

My Mom Died 75 Miles Away And Came Back To Visit

 

My mother was an abused woman who endured years of domestic violence at the hands of my stepfather Richard. My mother used to pick cotton in Chattanooga Tennessee. She was born in 1931. Mom was a pretty woman. At 18 she was pregnant and to be wed to Burl Raines. But my grandfather Clarence did not like Burl so my grandmother Evelyn made my mother at the age of 18 move out. My grandmother favored her sons and made her daughters move out at the age of 18. My mother was released into deep poverty with only a grade school education. My grandmother thought she took mercy upon my mother and took her granddaughter Connie (the new baby) and gave Connie to my Grandmother Evelyn's uncle. This was an illegal adoption. Connie was torn from my mother's arms never to be seen again. My mother cried for hours telling me the story in 1980. Connie was born in 1950.

My mother with no help from her family moved to Chicago to become a stripper in the nightclubs in Chicago. She became a famous dancer and danced all over the United States. My mother gave birth to me in Chicago. But she left me with an Indian dancer and went to earn money for a little while in Duluth Minnesota. My mother finally fell in love with Richard a man she met at the Duluth Motel. My mom went to Chicago to get me from the Indian dancer. We returned to the coldest place imaginable Duluth Minnesota. Richard was living with his mother Sally and Dennis. My mother went upstairs to put out her cigarette in Richard's brother Dennis ash tray. That was a mistake my mother regretted to her death bed. Richard found the cigarette with lipstick in Dennis bedroom and Richard tried to strangle his 18 year old brother with a telephone cord. My mother which to this day I cannot understand ended up moving out of his mother's home and married Richard.

Richard moved us to Chicago and was an engineer. But Richard had a violent mean streak in him. He would get mad and beat my mother or us kids.

In 2000 my mother had ended up at the hospital in Woodstock and the nurse showed me the little strokes my mother had on her legs. I saw hundreds of little strokes in her head. It made me sad because I knew that all the times I had witnessed Richard my stepfather punching my mother in the head. I summed it up as it was Richard's fault my mom had those strokes in her head.

My stepfather Richard died in July 2000 it was a sweltering hot day. My mom panicked when Richard died. My mom kept repeating Dicky, where is Dicky? I told her he was dead. My mother could not comprehend that her husband was dead. My sister Gina was to inherit Richard's insurance policy so she took over and said it was my stepfather's wishes to put my mom in a nursing home. Gina was going to inherit a lot of money so she pretty much controlled everything. My mother always told me she did not want to be put in a nursing home.

But Gina would not let me take my mother. So my mom was 75 miles away in a Chicago nursing home. My van would never make it to Chicago. It had a bad radiator leak. But only a few weeks later I got a phone call mom had died of a heart attack. Gina held the funeral in Woodstock so I could attend. There were a lot of bitter feeling at the funeral and me and my kids drove home. A month later in the winter I was driving in Rockford along highway 2 and saw a woman in the dark she had long grey hair. I took a close look and I saw my mom as an old women. Her hair was flying in the bitter Rockford cold she was walking along the highway with a long dark dress on. She looked just like my mom. This ghost apparition finally vanished as I drove slowly away.

A few months later my daughter saw a ghost with a red witch hat on under her bed. The ghost had long dark brown hair, white skin and a long black dress. Christina said she was dressed like old times. I showed Christina several pictures and she said the one with my mother looked like the ghost under her bed. Christina claims the ghost under her bed just stared at her for a long time.

I know that my mother does not have a head stone on her grave. We just simply cannot afford one. But I wonder is that why she is haunting us?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, carri, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Kinda weird that she would come back & appear under the bed wearin' a red witch hat, but I suppose stranger things have happened. 😕
happy (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
What a sad story. Your sister seems selfish to have kept all that money for herself. She could have bought them heads stones I guess she chose not to. Your mum has been through a lot in her life she probably just wanted to say goodbye, cause you were loved very much. Many blessings. Xx 😊 ❤
carri (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
Thank you for your kind comments. My sister Gina yes has had paranormal experiences especially after her father Richard died. Gina heard a lot of whispering voices. She said it was like a thousand voices whispering at once it was a frightening experience. She never went back to the house where they died. We really do not talk. But she mails my kids money at Christmas so I I'm not mad anymore at her.
As far as the headstones mom and Richard stil do not have one. I will try someday to buy them one but I do not know if I can ever afford it. We visit their graves once every 4 years. We only go every four years because my 17 year old brother is buried near my mom and Richard and its hard to see them all there together.
Carri
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
zacsawyer: It sounds like the OP and "Gina" didn't get along. When there is family feuding and money involved, petty things like "no headstone" CAN happen. If Gina was the soul heir to money, she can control it. If Gina didn't care for the OPs mother, most likey she doesn't want to shell out cash for a headstone.

Sad but it happens all the time
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-09)
I am just wondering did you or your mother ever find Connie? If not maybe your mother can not find piece because she was snatch from her and she never was able to find her and find piece. Maybe she wants you to continue looking for Connie to find piece for her.
Angel1 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-09)
Nice story, maybe your mum's soul is not at peace with regards to her past life that's why she's showing up so weirdly.
It's just creepy that she would reveal herself so scarily under your daughter's bed. Maybe you should tell her that you love her and everything's fine and that she should move to the other side.

Did she always wear a red 'witch' hat?
zacksawyer (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
I don't get it? I thought your sister gina inherited a lot of money? Not enough to buy a headstone?
taaabbbiii (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-06)
Don't worry about the headstone; she sounded like a beautiful women through and through and I'm sure she's just saying 'hi'

Do keep us updated, and good on you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
A visitation or sighting is not necessarily a haunting. Sometimes it's just a sign to let you know your loved one is ok. I wouldn't worry about a headstone, even they perish with time along with our earthly remains. Your mother knows the love she has for you is still in your heart. That is the connection to your mother. Not a gravesite. I am truly sorry for your loss. Grief is a tough row to hoe but it gets better with time. Give yourself that time.
Lizziejane (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
I would be just saying "Hi Mum" as she is trying to get your attention. Maybe she is concerned about the family rift. When people pass over they come back to reassure us of their presence. You did not need to be at the funeral as she knew you loved her. After my mother passed she came back and made my lights dim down. (I put a story on here) She justs want you to know she is around and looking after you and your daughter. Acknowledge her and she may move on. I know my mother is around as I have been told I have someone who walks with me.
dancingmist107 (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
she just hopes that you are safe from evil and harm. She could also miss you and just pays a vist. Or she is curious on what is happening in your life. 😁
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Wow, what a story.

First off, thank you for sharring such personal history with the community. Hopefully your mother is in a better place.

Second of all, I sympathize with traveling in IL. Driving to Rockford, Woodstock and Chicago...isn't a lot of fun.

Thirdly: I think your mother is coming to you and your daughter, because she loves you. Maybe she has a message. Maybe she is making sure you and your daughter are ok. With what sounds like a rough childhood you had, this may be her way of "taking care of you". You know, visiting you. If you are not frightened or feel threatened, I would take it as your mother just visiting.

Head stones can get pricey. I totally get that. If you know the location of where she is buried, I would visit her. Maybe leave some flowers. Bring your daughter too. Say a few words. Let her know that you're thinking of her.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Perhaps to make sure you have the peace and love in life. That eluded her. Has your sisters had any experiences?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: