You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Or Intruder?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Or Intruder?

 

This took place when I was touring Kenya, Africa with my parents.

We were in Masai Mara one of the most famous savannahs of Africa. We had lodged in a hotel in the savannah. The layout of the hotel was as follows: - The main building was at a Distance of some 1 km from the lodging cabins. The cabins were amazing. They had a feel as if they belonged to the jungle itself. There was a river flowing behind the cabin but it was out of bounds as it had crocodiles in it. But we got a good view of the river from the balcony of our cabin. It was great seeing crocs in their own habitat.

The night we reached the hotel, we were all pretty exhausted. The room was cosy except for one weird thing. It had a deer's head hanging from one of its walls. The hotel was pretty old, so it must be placed there before hunting was banned in Africa. There was a show of Mara people (tribals) that night which wouldn't take

Place for another month. As we were there only for 3 days, my parents went to the show. I decided to stay back as I was pretty tired and the hotel was about 1 km away.

I was reading a book but must have fallen asleep. I woke up about an hour later, which was pretty odd, as I never wake up at night once I sleep. My parents were not yet back and as I rubbed my eyes, I swear I saw the deer's eyes move. I was completely freaked out and closed my eyes. After sometime I gave it up for an illusion and started to read again. This was when I noticed a pretty odd thing, the curtains of the room were moving as if there was a breeze coming from the windows, but the windows were closed. Suddenly, I felt a shiver run down my spine. I felt as if I was being watched. I felt a weird cold sensation and started praying. After a while, the feeling stopped. I kept a pendant of "OM" we had brought with me and tried to sleep. After some time, my parents returned. I didn't tell them about the experience as I thought they would not believe me.

The next day, I asked our guide, who had become a pretty good friend by then, about the experience. I thought he would know as he visited that place pretty frequently. He said that he didn't know anything about that. But I felt from his tone that he was hiding something from me.

We went on a drive in the savannahs and came back that evening in a pretty light mood. But, when we reached our cabin, we found to our astonishment that our luggage had been scattered and messed up. We thought that the cleaner must have done it and complained

To the hotel management but they said that as per their policy, the cleaners do not touch anything belonging to a customer. The receptionist also said that the cleaning was done under supervision. We let go the incident as some misunderstanding.

Then, the last and most eerie thing occurred. We were about to go to bed when we all heard someone knocking forcefully at the door. When we opened the door, there was no one. This happened 2-3 times. Finally fed up we shouted to the person who was knocking to stop playing around. No answer. The knocking stopped. We gave it up as some prank and retired to bed. But it must have been about 2-2:30 in the morning, when I again heard the knocking. Sleeping on an extra bed near the door, so I think I was the one who heard it. I was pretty scared to go out alone after my first experience and we were even advised not to go out alone at night as the area had many wild animals. So, I woke my parents and told them about the knocking. At first they told me that I was just getting paranoid and that I should go to sleep. But then, we all heard the knocks on the door. My dad opened the door only to find that there was no one there. But he saw something move in the bushes. He came in and declared that it was some kid. Though I didn't feel convinced, I decided that I would rather believe that it was a kid.

Next day, we complained about this to the staff. They also said that it must have been some prankster. But then suddenly, my dad asked what moron would have let out a kid at 2 in the morning? That set me thinking. I started relating this to my previous experience and felt that the place was haunted. But anyways, we were to depart that day, so I didn't care much.

I didn't think about the incident until the day we were about to leave Kenya. On the day of our departure our guide told me he wanted to tell me something. He asked me to not tell anyone what he was going to tell me. I agreed.

He told me about that hotel. He said that it was rumoured that a leopard at the hotel killed a boy of about 9-10 years some 50 years or so ago. He told that everyone said that the ghost of the boy still haunted the same room where he was staying the night He died. He said that many of his customers had the same complaint as me. But only those customers who stayed in two specific rooms had the experience. It was in room number 153 and 154. I had stayed in room number 154...

Other hauntings by Verleus

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Verleus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bateleur (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
Verleus, I think your guide was telling you tall tales! The oldest (and first) lodge in the Masai Mara, Keekorok Lodge, only turned 50 in 2012. I'm assuming that's not where you were staying since none of the rooms are 1km from the main building and the entire lodge is fenced - and also not on a river, as you mention.

Willowe - Africa is not a country but a continent with 53 separate countries, many of which HAVE banned hunting - Kenya being one of them. As for "leopard that eat human (sic) once become monsters", this is simply not true. Leopards generally avoid human contact and will only attack if they or their young are under threat. Unfortunately, due to the continual encroachment of the locals here onto their territories, this is happening more and more often.

Verleus, having lived for a long time in the bush (including a year in the Masai Mara) I can tell you for sure that some very strange things do happen and very strange noises are heard there! I'd be interested to know which lodge you and your folks were staying at in order to check out the history and see what we can find out. A very creepy experience regardless of the cause!
Willowe (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
Creepy. I'm glad that that leopard is dead. Leopards that eat human once, become monsters. But I have to say, I'm not sure that there are leopards in that area. I know there are some farther north, though. I lived in a place where one kept killing dogs and goats.

Also, hunting was never banned in Africa.
Verleus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-15)
Thanx for the comments...
Jaydiie,
Man...how can tourists staying in a hotel think of helping a ghost? People staying in the rooms are first too doubtful, then too scared to help him. But ya, i never saw it from that perspective... Thanx for pointing that out to me. Now when I come to think of it, I really pity that poor kid. 😭
My guide says he too was some foreign tourist 😢.funny how death meets you at places you would least expect.
Demonicghost500 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
Yeah it probably was the kid repeating his death (Poor kid) 😢 It's just so sad.
Jaydiie (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
to me it sounds like this "child" was knocking on the door for help, maybe he knew that the leopard was there, and going to hurt him.
As nobody in the rooms are helping him, his death is repeating its self. 😢

That my guess anyway!
Verleus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-13)
hey not_scared_anymore,
By "dont tell anyone" he meant his employers... Because if they came to know that he was telling such stuff about their client hotels, then he would lose his job...'and thanks evryone for posting
Not_scared_anymore (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-13)
Uh ohh! You promised not to tell anyone 😜
But nice story non the less Verleus
Verleus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-13)
ciel,there was no hall, there were cabins which opened out right into the forest... Thats why we wondered how it could have been a kid.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
Great story! I think maybe he just wanted to play. I mean kids can be pranksters. Thanks for sharing! ❤
Ciel (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
Creepy. It sounds like he might've wanted you to go out in the hall for some reason. But since you're away, and he seems to stay in the rooms, I think you're alright. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: