You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Passing Through

Real Ghost Stories

Passing Through

 

Back when I was in my twenties my first husband and I lived in a huge farm. Below us lived an elderly man and his wife. Both were well into their eighties. The man was related to my husband. He didn't have any children of his own. I use to go down and visit with them often. Often at times I would cook supper for them. I, of course, was fond of them and they me. Now my in-laws were not too fond of me. The elderly man wasn't too fond of them. He used to tell me, all that they had said about me. I suppose after he got to know me. It upset him; they had said such things about me. I would go out of my way to help them. I did this not because they had asked me too or out of hope of some kind of gain.

Anyway, the man had terminal cancer. He use to comment on the house I lived in. He loved it especially the way the kitchen and front room, were laid out. He died in the wee morning hours of Feb, 1998. The morning before he died I had been the last to bed. So I was the one to make sure everything was closed and locked. I KNOW, yes I know without a doubt. I closed and locked my front room and kitchen door (which both led to the outside). I first looked my front room door then turned and went into my kitchen and locked it. My front room and kitchen were side by side rooms. Straight through rooms actually.

The morning the man died. I got up to go to the bathroom and realized it was very cold in the house. I thought maybe my heating had quit working. So as I was finishing up my bathroom visit and getting ready to check the heat the phone rang. I went an answered it. As I reached for the phone. I realized why the house was so cold. My front room door was open. When I answered the phone. The elderly lady that lived below me said, "I just wanted to call you and let you know that Allen passed away this morning at about 3 0' clock." When she said that I sat down in a chair that was facing my kitchen. That's when I saw that my kitchen door was also open and as was the storm door to my kitchen door.

I suppose some may disagree with me. But I can't help but feel that Allen had passed through my house on his way out of this world.

Other hauntings by DixieChick101

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DixieChick101, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
To me this sounds like Allen wanted to say good bye and maybe have one last look at a house (and people!) he always liked. I like stories like this because its not "Ooh, scary monster!" but just a sweet experience. Thank you for sharing it.
uanheuk (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
Hmm interesting story. I liked it, I hope things are doing better now!...
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
WB
There was no harm done. No reason to apologize. I should have be more accurate in where they and I lived.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
I am sorry, I did not mean to imply being scared by my use of the word chill. What I meant was that instant when the thought hit that this, indeed, MUST have been Allen.
I am sorry that I misinterpreted your living arrangements as well. When you said "Below us lived an elderly man and his wife... I use to go down and visit with them often." I ASSUMED. I KNOW how dangerous it is TO assume, and yet...
I am not perfect. I just wanted you to know that I can admit that. 😉
This truly is a beautiful story. I thank you for it.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
WB

No, he lived over the hill from me. It didn't chill or scare me. Nothing like that. It was shocking, maybe there was some disbelief. But I wasn't scared.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
You know what? I was standing with you while you answered the phone and did the slow look at all three doors. I felt the chill when the recognition hit, and I almost witnessed your arm lowering slowly after the conversation ended.
I think YOU are absolutely right. This was a one time thing, and it was Allen coming THROUGH on his way to the Other Side.
Interesting... Did I read that right? YOU lived UPstairs and He DOWNstairs?
Thank you.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-20)
Zander~ It seems accounts such as grandfathers is somewhat common around these
Parts. For some families that is. But then there are others that frown upon it. So many times mouths are kept shut.

Thank you to everyone who read my story and commented. It is greatly appreciated. ~Dixie
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
I notice that you are from Kentucky, Dixie, so I thought I would share this with you. My grandfather was originally from Eastern Kentucky. He moved to Ohio when he was about 30 and spent the rest of his life there. On occasion, in the morning, he would announce to my aunt, his eldest daughter that 'so and so' had died back home in Kentucky. 'Well, how do you know that, Daddy, nobody has called', my aunt would ask. "S/he came to the foot of my bed last night to say good-bye" he would calmly reply. Soon after, a phone call would come from Kentucky to let them know that indeed, that person had passed. I think that Kentucky is a magical place. Add the native spirits to the mostly Celts who settled there and you have a safe place for the spirit life to be 'alive', if you will, I think.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
DixieChick13--Another sweet spirit story that gives us the frisson of chills when we experience one ourselves. I believe there are so many levels of "otherworldly" experiences (though since they happen to us in ours, they're not strictly "other" worldly), like passing doppelgangers and "coincidences," and stories like this one of yours add to the body of experience that science may finally take more seriously.
Tonith uses the great phrase "head for the other side" which seems a perfect read on the metaphor of both doors being open. Like dream imagery: cuts right to the quick of meaning.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
It is always interesting to read another perspective of a HAUNTING. It is such a personal experience, Thankyou! For sharing. Blessings, Ghostseer
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Maybe that was Allen's way of letting you know that he was passing on before you got the news. I agree, most people even if they forget to lock a door don't usually come down to 2 doors and a screen door opened. You are right, if an intruder your dogs would have gone bonkers and the whole house would have been alerted. I think this is one of the true cases about a spirit who cared about you, just wanted you do know he was still alive and well and headed for the other side. I think you were very fortunate to have this experience. To me, this is just one more proof of the personality/soul surviving bodily death.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
We lived there for a long time after. Nothing else like that happened. I use to have a lot sleep paralysis there or something. But that was before he died and it only occurred in one room of the house. After I quit sleeping in that room it stopped.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
yeah...I see what you're saying.

Maybe it was Allen. Like I asked before: Did you reside there long after his passing? Did anything happen again?
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
HobbyHolly,
No My husband didn't get up before me. Trust me. Lol. Once that man was a sleep he was a sleep. I seriously doubt anyone tried to break in. My dogs would have went nuts, if someone had approached the house. Plus, if someone were trying. They accomplished it and with both doors and storm doors. Why not finish the job?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
hmm this... This is interesting.

1. It was kind of you to help your neighbors. Its a pity, seems like these days nobody gets to to know theirs anymore.

2. The doors being open. My logic says maybe your husband got up before you? Maybe someone tried to break in?

Then again... It could have been Allen. Did you reside there any longer after his passing? If so... Did anything happen?

Thanks for sharing. It's good to hear a story from Kentucky (I have family there... And love visiting)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: