You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Silver Horseshoes

Real Ghost Stories

Silver Horseshoes

 

A handful of odd things happened back in the house I grew-up in, in Indiana. I've already told you about the ghost in the chair (and the writing on the wall).

Sometime after that incident, my mother, my brother Chuck, and I were in the living room, in the late evening, watching television when a loud noise startled us. It was a loud clanging kind of sound from down in the basement.

We had a really musty old basement -- half of it was a dirt floor crawlspace that opened into the poured concrete part of the basement. It was just a storage area, full of old paint cans, fishing tackle, tools, storm windows, a big freezer that usually held a whole hog and a side of beef we'd pick-up twice a year to live off of. There was a sump pit that the washer drained into and the furnace and hot water heater were down there.

The "ceiling" of it was just the exposed floor joists of the ground floor rooms -- one of which we were sitting in when he heard this loud clanging noise from the basement. Startled, we went down to see what was going on.

The stairs had no backs (just the treads, no risers). Our dog, a big German Shephard, was always afraid to go down in that basement. She'd almost pitch a fit to have to go past that door to get out in the backyard. But there we were, me, and Mom, and Chuck, standing on those openbacked basement stairs looking at the cement floor, where a single horse shoe was laying. The cement was chipped were it hit. It was spraypainted silver.

We had a silver pair and a red pair for playing horshoes, and these were real ones -- heavy. We kept them hanging on a pair of nails driven into one of the exposed floor joists. As we stood there, the second silver one fell onto the first.

That was startling. Freaky weird. Just as it happened I saw a white-ish line shoot up from the horshoe already on the floor. Nobody else saw it. But to me, it looked just like some kind of shape reached up and tapped the other one, sort of like looking at a thin man sideways. I can remember us talking back and forth about how maybe us running through the dining room to the stairs might have knocked it off the nail....

But we were on the stairs when it fell.... and the nail it fell from was still just like it ought to be. A big 10 penney nail stuck in at about a 45 degree angle. The horseshoes would have had to have "walked" up the nail and gotten themselves over the big nail head.

My brother was taller than the rest of us and he grabbed the nail to see if it was loose or could be twisted. It was tight as ever.

We hung the silver ones back up on the same nail they fell from and went back upstairs. I think we spent the rest of the evening waiting to hear if they were gonna fall again, or not.

They never fell again that I know of. And it had been at least a month since anyone had played horshoes -- so they'd been on that nail a long time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

amberlynn (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
I really enjoy reading your stories. You write in such a way that I feel as if I was there with you when it happened. This would have been freaky to witness, but definitely interesting. And I really like the fact that you look to debunk the incident before jumping to the supernatural right away.
CearaIvory (2 stories) (22 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-06)
Tee hee, maybe the ghost was someone who was either in the cavalry, rode horses for a living (ranching, racing, an old sheriff or outlaw from the old west), or could be a horseshoe enthusiast or a former champ at the game. Either way, sounds like he was passing through (maybe your home was on his way to his crossover spot) and he saw the horseshoes and just had to take a closer look.
btgriffin (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
surely your German shepard knew of these unidentified sounds all along... And rarely does a dog want to explore anything so deep in the ground, especially when it's being guarded by your basement sentry
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
Yep, I agree. With the playful, once in a while, ghostly thing there. (I do not know enough about "poltergeist activity" to label it as such. Too many discrepancies on the description of them for me to find a concrete definition of them as of yet) I am almost willing to bet though that there were other happenings that were related to this one that were just ignored or thought of as something else. With that many witnesses, how could it be anything but a ghost? Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
That is a wonderful story.

It sounds like poltergeist activity to me. They like to do things once in a while, pranks and such, just to keep you on your toes. It may or may not have been related to the other occurances, but, either way, what an interesting home.

God Bless!
babyd (guest)
-1
17 years ago (2007-03-23)
i don't know if I believe this story if you did have a ghost or a spirit it would have happened more than one time but either was you have good writing skills and you should do something with it

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: