You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Happy Birthday Song In The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

Happy Birthday Song In The Cemetery

 

Over 20 years ago as a young teenager, my friends and I would sneak out in the middle of the night and toilet paper other people's homes. One night we decided to walk or cut through a cemetery. More than halfway through, we heard something and we all stopped. It wasn't very loud.

There were four or five us. It was the "Happy Birthday" song... I don't remember the instrument or if I identified the instrument playing the song, but it was like the song was being played on a record player because part way through the song slowed down and stopped before the song was finished.

We argued a little bit about where the sound came from because we could not tell from which direction it was coming from, but it was definitely from somewhere in the cemetery. We got out of there pretty quick.

As far as we could tell there was no one there but us. It was a very strange thing to happen in the middle of the night in the middle of a cemetery. We had walked through that cemetery before in the middle of the night without anything unusual happening.

After that experience we went back again on another night to explore or figure out where the sound came from, and we didn't notice anything unusual. Also there was nothing else near this cemetery to make the music. It was surrounded by empty cotton fields for hundreds of yards in every direction.

I'm not sure we all agreed it was the Happy Birthday song, but we all heard it.

Other hauntings by SpiritusMoJo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SpiritusMoJo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jam (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
Freaky. Of all the songs, why happy birthday?

Hmm.

Try researching the date and place to see if you can find any file or anything.

SMiLE 😁,
Jam.Jam
Amyleeea (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Maybe it was a birthday, if you knew the date you should have gone back there the next year to see if it happened again
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
I used to live by a cemetary and once while I was at my friend's house and shadows walked from the graveyard to the yard. After the 5th one we went in her room closed her shades and hid under her covers.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Very interesting and creepy. I love walking through the cemetary near my house but I don't dare go in there at night. Great story. ❤
StarGazed (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
On the cards- when were they created? This happened 20 years ago and I've only seen them in the last few years or so.

That it slowed down and stopped reminds me more of a wind up toy that's run out- but that does leave open the question of why it started up. Or it could be something that the battery ran out, if it was a card that had been blown open.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
I didn't even think of those musical cards. Very astute. I was thinking more along the lines of a radio frequency bouncing off something made of metal like a fence or possibly a metal cross. Sound travels so it's hard to tell it's source.
Darklight (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Very fraky. Perhaps it was someone who did not pass well into the after life that you heard.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
I also have seen toys and music boxes in grave yards. Once heard what sounded like a horn I kept walking in the direction and their was a horn tied to a small childs grave. With the wind blowing I just assumed it made the horn noise I heard. I have seen dolls, baby bottles just about anything at a childs grave site.

But the cards that play music would be a good one too, especially, if the wind was blowing that night this happen. Open the card would make it play.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
I to have run across toys or music boxes in cemetaries. There are also those greetin cards now that play tunes when opened. My mother loved receiving those carfs when she was with us, she got a kick out of them. My aunt takes a musical card to her grave every time she visits.

Just another possibility,
God Bless!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Whitebuffalo, I agree. While reading the story I assumed that there was something actually there like a wind up toy or maybe someone was there with a record player because it was a lost loved ones bday. Spriritusmojo, I bet it was a really exciting time and I wouldn't let our postings ruin that for you. ❤ Jasmin
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Sooo, from the description of the sound of the song, it COULD have been a wind up toy?
Any chance you may have SEEN one (a wind up toy) there in the cemetery when you went back to explore?
I ask this as we are a family of cemetery walkers. We DO NOT walk the cemeteries with the main reason of ghost hunting (as some would assume if I had left that comment out), but in the thrill of history. You can learn a lot about a community just by walking among it's graves. If we "happen" on something while we walk <shrug> cool, if not, the day/night was not wasted.
There have been numerous times that we have "caught" a tinkering song that came from a toy left, that started up for no apparent reason. MOST of the time we do not check these out completely, as it is a personal toy for a little one loved and lost.
Just a thought. Is it a possibility?
Thank you.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Freaky... I would do some researching! See what could have been there before the cemetery or in the feilds around it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: