You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Man & His Two Daughters - Ghostly Encounter On The Hill

Real Ghost Stories

A Man & His Two Daughters - Ghostly Encounter On The Hill

 

My story takes place about 8 years ago. It was a cool evening, summer was at its end and fall was just about to take over. This one particular evening, my parents and I were restless and not in the mood for television. So, my mom, knowing how much I loved ghost stories and anything related to ghosts, took my dad and me on a ride through the Castro Valley hills/mountains. There was a story that she had been told her entire life about a woman dubbed, "The White Witch." Now, I know there are many stories out there with the same name but this one was very fascinating. The "White Witch" has nothing to do with our experience while driving through the hills that particular night. Our encounter happened after my mom finished her ghost story.

We were driving along, windows cracked to let in the cool evening air. The night was heavy with the fragrance from the trees and it was a calming and relaxing atmosphere out in the hills. As we were driving up the mountain on a two-lane highway, we came across a man, his two young daughters and their broken down car. Needless to say, my mom's heart broke at the sight of the three of them stranded on the hillside.

The car was packed to the gills and looked as if they packed all of their worldly possessions into this small vehicle. My dad pulled over to the opposite side of the road and parked in the gravel behind the strangers' car. The stranger and his two children were standing behind the car. My dad inquired if he needed any help and the stranger replied, "Yes, please. My car ran out of gas and I do not want to leave my two daughters alone out here!" My parents offered to go back down the two-lane hill and get a few dollars worth of gas for him and his two daughters. The man was incredibly grateful and gave my dad a $5.00 bill for the gas. My dad assured him we would be back in a few minutes. My dad backed out of the gravel and back onto the cemented road and as his headlights caught them in its glare, I remember thinking that there was a surreal quality about them. We descended back down the mountain.

Now, remember, this is only a two-lane highway and it is getting late so there are not any cars traveling this road. The man and his kids were the only people we had come across on this deserted hill.

We get to the bottom of the hill and went right into the gas station. We got the gas, I purchased two candy bars for the two little girls and off we headed back up the mountain. We arrived at the same spot where they were broken down in less than 5 minutes and to our surprise, THEY WERE GONE. It was like they vanished. There was no sign of them whatsoever... Even the gravel was smooth and not one tire track was visible from the strangers' car or my dad's! There is absolutely nothing to show that all of us had been there just 5 minutes beforehand.

We were all feeling a little freaked out, at this point, because there was no way they could have gotten past us! The gas station was directly at the bottom of the hill and we would have seen them if they "coasted down the hill." So, my dad droves a little way up the hill... Just in case the stranger had gotten his car started and possibly drove a little... But no car and no stranger and his two daughters were nowhere in sight.

We drive back down the hill and there was still no trace of a vehicle or the three strangers with their loaded up vehicle on that small inlet on the gravelly road. My parents and I were completely mystified and chills run up each of our backs as we tried to decipher what was going on!

Here we were with a small plastic jug of gasoline and two candy bars and no trace of them in sight. We could not get over how smooth the gravel looked there was no way the driver drove off... There would be tyre tracks! It was like the three of them had never been there.

After going up the hill one more time and coming across a dead-end...we all simultaneously came to the conclusion that what we just experienced was a ghostly encounter. The strangers did not leave tracks, of any kind, and there had been something a little "odd" about them, their situation and their appearance. Something just did not feel "normal."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pomlabs3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

myoldsoul (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
I wonder did anyone think to read the date on the $5.00 bill? That might hold a clue... Just a thought... Thanks for sharing... I really enjoyed it! 😁
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-14)
I loved your story, The people proble died up there. Maybe, they ran out of gas, then someone help them, then they pushed they'er car down the hill so the person helping them wouldn't have to come back up (girls being in the car, dad atfer getting it down the hill) but it went the worng the diection and then they died.
Thats what I happened.
GIRLIE 😭
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-09)
If you remeber they servo you went to then maybe you could ask them what they know. Maybe they had them come back through or something. Or maybe they have heard of others who have witnessed this family?
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-09)
hey again! I tried checking the newspaper archives in that area but they only go back to 2001! I was disappointed. If I was in that area I would go down there to check. This one really has me stumped. I have a curious personality so of course I want to find out who those people were. LOL! Still a great story though. ❤
pomlabs3 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Hi raingrl01!

I honestly don't remember the road we were on. This was 8 plus years ago! I just remember we were in Castro Valley. Also, I haven't lived in the Bay Area for 8 years... I don't remember street names or anything anymore. Thank you for your interest and your help though! It is totally appreciated!
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
I tried to find some information on this location but I didn't have much to go on. Can you give me some more info? What was the name of the road you were on? I looked up Castro Valley Hills and Mountains but I just got the town. I looked up the town paper also but nothing. Any more info you could give me would be appreciated. I'm interested in this and would enjoy digging around and letting you know. Thanks! ❤
pomlabs3 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
Hello,

Yes, to answer the question "did my family think of it as a supernatural experience?" Yes, they did! It is something that we talked about to each other all the time!

Yes, we did go back to the same spot as the people had been. That's why this stumped my family and I so much! We had landmarked it on the way down the hill to make sure we stopped at the correct spot on the way back up the hill. Since it was dark and all...

I, too, thought it was weird about the $5 being given to us... But I have also heard and saw ghost stories (on tv) since my experience, where real objects transfer from ghosts to "real" people... Who knows? This could have been one of those types of incidences. Whatever it was, to me and my family, it was an eerie and very creepy experience.

Thank you to all for your comments!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
Very, very interesting, pomlabs3.
I have read numerous accounts that are CLOSE to what this occurrence was, but they usually start out "This friend of a friend of my cousin third removed... Told me". I have never really read a first hand account that was this clear.
Were you ABLE to pick out "landmarks" and go RIGHT TO the place you believed to have last seen them? It is the five dollars that has me digging a bit deeper into this story, as you can probably imagine 😊.
Thank you for answering my questions!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
Well, if some of the posters on here are correct and you just went back to the wrong location, then there is a man with two daughters still waiting for their gas and candy bars (he's probably waving his fist and cursing the term "kindness of strangers").

This does have an urban legend feel to it but if true, it is really a weird experience.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
Well you may have gone back to the spot but maybe not exactly the same spot. It was dark and mountain roads are very dark so maybe you just weren't in the exact spot. That said, I don't know if ghosts give out 5 dollar bills but you know that part was real if you had the money in hand. I may be able to buy this story better if not for the exchange of the money. I would be framing that 5 dollars as the only money I ever got from a ghost. Let's assume you are not pulling our leg, if that is the case you are one lucky family to have met a ghost family. Do your parents think of this as a supernatural experience or do they still think there is a logical explanation?
pomlabs3 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
for whitebuffalo,

Thank you for your comments.

No, footprints left either. That's the part that stumped us, as well. As I had mentioned in the story, my dad and the 3 strangers were all outside the vehicles, at one point.
At the gas station, my mom and dad stayed in the car and I ran in to get the candy bars and the jug for the gasoline. There's no way they could have gotten past us without us seeing them!
pomlabs3 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
Well, I appreciate all the comments, truly! But I was there and it is not an urban legend. As for mentioning the White Witch... Just a little background for the story. There was nothing more to it than that.

As for research into possible murders that could have occurred on that stretch of road? I have thought about that, as well! Just haven't had time to research it.

I do appreciate the fact that most of you enjoyed the story!

It was a creepy night though that night out in the dark hills!
konakissed (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
I liked this story 😊 The interesting part is the no tire tracks BUT... My logical mind would have to say you just can't discount the possibility that even though this small country road dead ended with one way out, they could have pulled onto a side dirt road leading to a home or just pulled off in the woods somewhere... And the NO tires tracks, I think that there might be a possibility that you misinterpeded where you saw them.
I enjoyed the story and also would have been scratching my head if I experienced that 😊
zacksawyer (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
seems a little too convenient. I mean you guys where telling ghost stories and suddenly decided to go for a drive and came upon such ghosts. Sounds like an urban legend to me... No offense pomlabs3... Nice story though.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Hmmmmmmmmm, I am afraid I have to go with the urban legend. I do not understand why you mentioned the White Witch in the first paragraph?

God Bless!
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Frawin -- I'm right there with ya! It sounds like an urban legend to me... Albeit a pretty good one! Seems kind of convenient they go for a drive telling ghost stories and suddenly come across this. I'm not that experienced with paranormal activity so I may be completely wrong but it just seems a little out there to me.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Maybe somebody happened along who already had a can of gasoline in thier vehicle, or maybe the man found out he had just flooded the engine and was able to crank it after you left. There are some logical, non-supernatural explanations.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
No offense but I find this story hard to believe. It has an urban legend feel to it and I find it extremely hard to believe that the ghost paid for his gas in cash.
It was a good story though, I really enjoyed it.

FRAWIN 😊
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Interesting. If I was you I would go and do some research to see if there were any accidents - or possibly murders in the area, like maybe they had run out of gas and got picked up and murdered prior to you arriving there.
Dimber (1 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Did you guys went back to ask the gas station person? Should leave the candy and gas on the sid eof the road they might just pop out again later and needed it. Traveling gh. Ostes maybe.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
NO tire tracks?
Footprints! How about footprints? Do you recall?
Boy, this is an interesting one.
Did all three of you go into the gas station while picking out the candy bars for the girls? Is there ANY way they could have "snuck" by you?
Thank you.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
BUT THEY GAVE YOU MONEY! How could they give you really money? Well atleast they were nice how old didi tehy girls look

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: