You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is My Workplace Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My Workplace Haunted?

 

I started working at a chain drug store in my hometown about four months ago at the beginning of December. I never considered myself as psychic or anything relatively close to that, but now I'm not so sure.

The first day I walked into the store as a paid employee, I had a feeling. It wasn't foreboding or anything, but it was there. I eventually forgot about it until I was working with one of my shift supervisors, Debbie, on Super bowl Sunday.

We sat behind the counter all night bored, and eventually got onto the topic of ghosts and the TV show Ghost Hunters. She told me about growing up in apartments and houses in a small town a few miles away from my hometown that she believed were haunted. She also said that she thought her niece was a 'sensitive'.

At some point, she admitted that she thought the store was haunted. I told her about the feeling I had the first day I walked into the store. Debbie told me about mornings when she would open up the store and find things strewn across aisles that were securely placed on their pegs or shelves. She also said that our manager refused to go into the back storage room alone after hours.

In my own experience, I have been putting things on shelves from boxes, get called to the front counter to wait on someone, and go back to find a bag of the candy I was stocking lying in the middle of the aisle.

Last Saturday, my other shift supervisor, Aubrey, and I were working alone until closing. We were doing cycle counts and straightening up the toy aisle. She hung up a toy with a broken tab, and as we were walking by that aisle again, something fell, but it was only that toy. She then admitted to me that she believed the store was haunted.

A few minutes later, we were working by the back room and she had to go up front to wait on a customer. While she was gone, I continued doing counts, but stopped when I heard a noise, like the tapping of something plastic dropping onto the tile floor, come from the back room. It repeated itself once. I stood and stared at the open door for a few minutes until Aubrey came back and asked me what was wrong.

Fast forward a few more minutes. She was up in the office counting her money drawer out and talking on her cell phone. I leaned down on the counter, closed my eyes, and tried closing off my senses while keeping my mind open; I'll just call it centering myself. It was while I was centering myself that the sound of a cell phone pulled me out of my focus, trance, or whatever I was in. I looked up at Aubrey and she said her phone had turned off in the middle of her call and turned back on. I asked her how full the battery was, and she said it was completely full. I told her that ghosts sometimes pull energy from surrounding batteries and other energy sources in order to manifest.

I tried centering myself again and within a few seconds I heard a noise. I looked up at Aubrey and she looked like she heard or saw something. When I asked her, she said she had heard something, but wasn't quite sure what.

I can't tell for the life of me who or what could be hanging out in a drug store. I mean, it's situated by a river that was a main route for Indians, loggers, and settlers in an earlier time. I don't know what's up.

Other hauntings by elpe12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elpe12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elpe12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
I don't think my coworkers would be playing pranks if they are telling me this stuff happens to them, too, haha

Like I said before, I'm putting it all on the back burner. I work until closing twice this week, but I'm not going to worry about anything.

Should I try "centering" myself again, or just let stuff go?
maecille (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
It seems to me that most of these people seem to think the same thing I do. While you should always trust your gut instinct, chances are that these slightly odd occurences are just your imagination on overdrive. You've been led to believe that the place is haunted so every little thind out of place is going to be chalked up to ghosts! But like I said trust your instinct it's possible there is something there have you tried setting up a video camera in the area these occurences usually take place? You might be able to give yourself some piece of mind! Also keep in mind that it could just be co-workers playing pranks on you as the "new kid"! And if nothing else you probably do have a harmless little prankster!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
I would have to agree with whitebufflo too. Electromagnetics can play a part too if the readings are high and someone is senstive. I don't dispell your gut feelings and I'm sure if you keep getting these vibes it is possible something is there. If so, chances are it's just residual and nothing to be concerned about. You can always set up a camera overnight just to see if you catch anything. Good haunting.
mansonchi (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
It' sounds like a mischavous spirit you have there or a poltergist perhaps?
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Stores are actually notoriously haunt active. One of the most famous ones is a Toys "R" Us in Sunnyvale CA. It was so active that a group of investigators did some work on it one night and captured one of the best ghost photos I have ever seen (the person leaning up against the toys with hands in his pockets was not in the group)
Http://secretcrypt.com/monthly/classic/toysrus.jpg

That being said, the accounts you relay don't really have a "solid" (excuse the pun) paranormality to them, and as others have suggested, have many possible mundane explanations. You have to be careful in situations like this not to let your fear reverberate into creating a seeming paranormal event. It's easy to let happen, and I suggest that's probably behind most of your experiences.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
I must ask the same question white buffalo did... Are there any additional experiences that have taken place?

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Dimber (1 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
I do agree with whitebuffalo here too. But the odd feeling just probably give you a head up your not alone. Try not to think about it so much. But I know how you feel thought.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
I have to agree with Surya and White Buffalo. All of the occurrences you related could very well have natural occurrences behind them. Thanks ~Dixie
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Well I have to agree with Whitebuffalo on this one. You obviously scared yourself, as for the accidents well maybe you were just having a bad day, it does happen.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
You know, a lot of this really sounds like it could be natural occurrences. "...She hung up a toy with a broken tab, and as we were walking by that aisle again, something fell, but it was only that toy. She then admitted to me that she believed the store was haunted." If the tab was broken, and THAT was the only toy that fell, that would be logical.
As for the cell phone, my life partner just recently replaced his phone as in the middle of conversations, or even as it was just clipped to his belt, the phone would turn off and on. Or it would simply shut off. We also have a family friend who had to do the same thing for the same reason. Different types of phones, different companies. If an entity would have drained the battery, most generally the charge does not return to the electronic device that was drained.
Things falling off of pegs is just about a common occurrences. You could just about walk into ANY type store that uses the pegs and see some on the shelves below where they SHOULD be. Not all pegs are plumb. Things slide, and the weight plus gravity take over.
Some places just have an odd feel. Sometimes it has to do with a Paranormal, sometimes it is just natural. But the FEEL is there.
If you had spent the majority of your shift discussing ghost stories and whether you both felt the store was haunted, you MAY have just been scaring yourselves into the thought. Does anyone ELSE have experiences that MIGHT be considered?
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: