You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Old Haunted House

 

We moved into our 80+ years old house a little over 5 years ago. Our youngest son was 2. He refused to go in the bathroom alone. He said he saw "black eyes" in there. We brushed it aside thinking that he didn't want to be potty trained and/or he had a very active imagination. Not too long after we moved in, things would disappear from where we had just sat them down... hairbrushes, keys, cups of coffee etc. and reappear in another area.

We often felt like we were being watched. I would feel taps on my shoulder as I worked on the computer. My children would come to me and say "what?" because they thought I called them but I had not. One of my sons and I were in the kitchen talking as I did dishes. From across the room, a box of cereal flew from the top of the refrigerator, hit the window over the sink and fell into the sink. We just stared at each other without saying a word.

I began to see a large, dark figure going from the bathroom, into the hallway, and through the wall and back again. My husband doesn't believe in spirits, well, he didn't. But he saw it too. The kids began telling us that they saw a large black "thing" walking around the house. We had NOT told them what we had seen.

One night, a friend of mine came over and we were watching a ghost cam online. The lights were out in the computer room. All of our kids were over our shoulders looking at the cam with us. The lights turned on. Thinking it was one of my kids, I said, "hey, turn them back off" the lights went off. My friend said that she kind of liked them on actually, instantly the lights came back on. One of the kids said "whooa, who did that?". We turned around to see all of the kids right there with us nowhere near the light switch. I said, "Well, I want the lights OFF" and they turned off again.

One night, I was in my bed watching T.V. My husband was at work, my 2 youngest boys were asleep on the sofa's in the living room, my daughter was at a sleep over, and two of my older sons were watching T.V. In the living room. My son came in to ask me if I had heard anything. I laughed and said no, I asked him if he was watching a scary movie and got spooked. He said no, they were watching Family Guy (nothing spooky about that hehe). I told him he was being paranoid. He came back in a few minutes later and asked me to come into the living room. Ticked as I was, I went in and started working on a sewing project just so I could keep busy while waiting on them to feel more comfortable or fall asleep. Both boys looked frightened as they said "Mom! Did you hear that?". I had the sewing machine going so I hadn't heard anything. I sat and waited about five minutes. Nothing happened. I started sewing again and they stopped me again! I was really ticked by then. Frustrated, I began putting up my sewing project. I was stopped by a VERY loud thud from the second floor above me. The boys kept asking me if I had heard THAT. I blamed it on the cats. My son pointed to the two sleeping cats on the floor. Before I could come up with another logical explanation, it happened again. And again. And again. For about an hour we heard continuous sounds of banging, thuds, and the sound of furniture moving on the wood floors upstairs. We attempted to go up the stair way to see what was going on but we were honestly too afraid to go up the first step even.

Finally, the sounds stopped. The boys fell asleep, but I stayed awake until my husband came home at 6:00am. He asked me why I was up so early. I told him that I hadn't been asleep. I was hesitant to tell him what had happened since he really did not believe in hauntings or spirits despite having seen the dark figure before. He asked me what was wrong. I told him. He laughed and headed up the stairs. I was right behind him. He stopped before the last step. I looked around his shoulder and saw that our oldest son's room had been demolished. Boxsprings were off of their beds, the mattresses were leaning on the walls, the dresser was in the middle of their room with the TV on top of it, toys, books, papers and clothing were strewn all over their room. Without speaking, we cleaned the room.

I talked to a friend about it and she suggested that we use white sage to cleanse the house. I also did a lot of googling about hauntings. I took my digital camera upstairs in the dark and took pictures wherever I felt "funny" or cold. When I came downstairs, I also took a picture of my fireplace because I had always felt "funny" there. Nothing showed up on the L.E.D. Screen of my digital camera but I uploaded the pictures anyway. We saw orbs everywhere. In one area of the upstairs hallway it looked like a galaxy of sorts, hundreds of orbs all around. At the bottom of the stairs there was a red blob. The photo of the fireplace showed a white woman in what appeared to be a bathrobe of sorts and she was very bright white. Wanting to make sure that I didn't suggest to anyone what it looked like, I just showed friends and family the photo... Everyone said it was a woman.

We went and got some white sage and burned it all over the house, outside, inside, everywhere. Things calmed down. I was talking to a neighbor and she said that devil worshippers had rented our house before we moved in. She said very odd sounds came from the house and that after they had been evicted, the neighbor and her husband had come to visit the owners while they cleaned and were horrified to see demonic graffiti sprayed on all of the walls. I thought that explained it and was glad we had cleansed the house.

Within a couple of months, it started back again. My daughter yelled for us one night, we ran up there and her new television was flipping channels. I told her she was sitting on her remote. She pointed to her night stand, it was on her nightstand. I took the batteries out, the T.V. continued switching channels. The next day, our older boys yelled for us, we ran up to their room and were astonished to find that every channel was french speaking. We don't have satellite TV, just cable, we don't live in a french speaking area or normally have french speaking television channels. We turned off the television.

Our bath tub began running water while nobody was even in that part of the house, and our toilet would flush on its own. I had a self cleaning oven. You know when you slide the lever to lock the oven door to turn it on for the self cleaning how it makes a buzzing sound? While we were in the living room watching T.V. The buzzing sound began happening over and over. We walked into the kitchen to see the lever going back and forth very quickly and the digital clock/control was changing from numbers, to letters, to symbols at a furious rate. We stood there watching this in silence for almost 5 minutes. My kids looked terrified so I felt I had to take control somehow, I yelled in a very stern voice "Knock it the f**k off!". IMMEDIATELY it stopped and the oven door completely fell off onto the floor. I inspected the door, it looked as if the metal semi-circular hinges had been cut.

I tried to talk to the spirits. I don't know why, but I feel one is the elderly lady who had grown up here and inherited the house. I have no idea who the "dark" one is. I said that they could stay if that is what they wish to do but please don't frighten our family anymore. I said that they would be happier if they went to the other side. Thinking I felt a little foolish for talking to them, I stopped. I began feeling very depressed and sad. I felt like crying. At that point, I began a 3 month battle with deep depression. I just felt so hopeless and there was no real reason. My life is great, my family is great, there was just no real reason for my sadness. When we would leave, I felt much better. If we went away for a weekend I would be fine until we returned to the house. I love this house so it wasn't my living situation that was depressing me.

I am working through that, I seemed to "get better" after I acknowledged that maybe I was feeling sadness from the spirits. My kids have began seeing the dark thing again. Now it seems to like the area of our foyer and living room, kitchen, bath, hallway, and my daughter (who does NOT believe at ALL in spirits) said she saw it standing at the foot of her bed.

A lot of visitors to our home say they feel kind of freaked out. We don't tell people what goes on here so they don't have any preconceived ideas of a haunted house here. They just say that they feel frightened or as if something is watching them.My daughter's friend is spending the week with us, she said she felt a very cold spot in the living room. I felt it where she pointed it out. I brought a stool into the area and sat there. My back got cold. My son and the friend touched my back and it was ice cold, my face, hands, arms and legs were warm. She knew nothing about our issues here. She said that earlier when she had taken a bath she got creeped out and felt she was being watched. She hurried and rinsed the soap off and ran out of the bathroom. I asked her if she felt "funny" anywhere, she kept talking about the fireplace.

For the past 4 months, I have woken up with very deep burning scratches on my arms, legs, back and face. I have scars from some of them. They BURN. Usually they are in groups of three... Like this /// . Almost always, the middle one is the deepest. I do NOT have fingernails, and there is nothing in my bedding that would cause scratches. It's not our cats either. We don't have the cats anymore. We have a dog, but she sleeps in my son's room. Sometimes she stops suddenly and growls at "nothing".

I don't know if I am being singled out because I did the sage so it hates me now, or if it is ticked because I am not afraid of it, I don't know why I am the one scratched up. I am leery of trying the sage again because I don't want to piss it off again or provoke it to do more. My mom wants us to move out of here. I don't know if it would follow us or not. For now, we are just dealing with it.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

maxpower (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
you should of put the pictures of the orbs and the woman on your story
cjsemple99 (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
I would've spoke with the spirits. I don't know if the "spirits" will speak back but I would've told the shadowy figure to go away and go to another place like Heaven. If it is contiuing, call TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society) and they can investigate your house. Email them at help [at] the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com. Hope this helps! 😁
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
I normally don't believe in priests & blessings & sage, but in your case, I would probably talk to a priest & a psychic (that works with a ghost hunting team), even a medicine man. I think the more positive & forceful energy will help dispel the spirit. Thank you for sharing; scary story. Best Wishes.
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
All you have to do is pray to God in one room of the house and tell God you don't want this evil in your house. You can ask God to put a crown of thorns around your land and your house to keep the evil ones out.

I hope your still around to read this message.

Take care,

Walter
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-30)
I don't know if you'll ever see this but here goes. You need to either move or have a serious cleansing of that house. The three marks you have received on your body is the mark of the trinity and that is demonic. So many people on this site claim demonic hauntings that it gets a bit ridiculous, but you may very well have one going on. I hope you do something because this could get real nasty. And with kids there too. You need to get the heck out of there.
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
That's so scary O-O
XD I would totally make a movie about the hauntings. That'd make one sick horror movie:P
You must be pretty brave to stay there. It sounds olike the spirits listen to you. Maybe because of the fact that you aren't scared of them? You should ask them to leave or get a priest to bless your house or something:p
Do you think you could upload the pictures of the orbs and the woman? I'd love to see them:D
kulenok (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Interesting, so you never really moved out? How unwise, your kids are scared to death and I'm sure your the same way about this entire situation. And if there where "devil worshippers" in that house before you, well those ghosts are not just ghosts they are either pissed off ghosts or demons. There is nothing good about that house's past from what this story tells me, and yet you insist in staying?
JW (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-24)
No, but the story's length precedes many others here if we are measuring by length and breath (breadth). Maybe the author said enough?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-24)
What ever become of this story. Did we lose contact with the Author. We never did hear if she was able to rid her home of the spirits or if they ended up moving.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Ssshhhhh (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-09)
Get out of the house. Your kids are already scared. Cleansing the house did not work. Try asking a professinal about it than just contacting the spirits by your self. It's better safe than sorry.
Angelus (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
Ok, here's what you do, get a priest to come over and spray holy water all over the house. Then take some salt and purify the house asking God to protect you. Then, call out to the spirits and let them know that they are dead, tell them to cross over to God and pray to God to accept them. Good Luck!
Angelus
Savannah (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
What an amazing story, I too have lived in a haunted house and was terrified all six years we lived there see my story "Unwanted Guests" you can check the New Zealand stories if you want because that's where it is. I also yelled at a spirit to tell it, it was not funny and to cut it out. Stay strong
Trey (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-01)
This was a very amazing story. I read it while at school one day and I loved it. It was scary indeed and very long but one enjoyed it greatly.
Thank you
coolcat (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-31)
spray catnip and mint and they go away sometimes you can spray lavender and fill the rooms with popeore
shane (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-31)
it has happened to me to I was looking for a book of my great grandma when I walked past an oak book case of hers a book slid out and hit my shouler so I ran down staries and never spoke of it again. I woke up one morning to see a dark shadow sit by my bed I looked away for a moment and when I looked again it was floting its head was floppy and its toes were pointed then I asked my mum she said I lady had been hung in our house we sprayed our house with lavender and every thing had gone
sony (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-31)
hey I will only suggest you to leave that house as soon as possible I thik it is dangerous
Tara (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-30)
That is some creepy stuff. I agree with everyone, you should get an investigator before really bad things start happening.
Roy (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-30)
I think that's pitty scary and that if I was you I would move
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-29)
Angela,

You should contact a paranormal investigation group as soon as possible. I do not like the sounds of the attacks on you now. Watch who you contact, if they ask for money then they are not true investigators. Also they make asked you some questions that will seem kind of personal, but rest assured they are a sign of a good investigator. One other thing you can try if you do not wish to have an investigation group in your home is to have a Native American medicine man or woman come into your home and perform the cleansing ceremony for you dear heart. There is more to the ceremony than just burning white sage and sometimes it takes more than once to completely rid a home of the negative energies that are there.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-29)
Dear Angela,
Martin is right, your story is spectacular and needs investigation. You are highly sensitive and spirits are attracted to you. You need those skilled in the paranormal to help you. For now find out how best to protect and ground yourself and your family. I would also consider the strong possibility of just moving.
rose (9 stories) (92 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-29)
This story is worth investigating. It can help you more in understanding what you are dealing with and overpower it.

Take care.

Rossana
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-03-29)
I have asked Angela to send us her pictures, hopefully we will have a few to post next to her story.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-03-29)
That's a spectacular story Angela, if you're not afraid of a little publicity, you should call a Paranormal TV show to make an investigation in your house, such as "A Haunting" by Discovery (they can do anonymous witness accounts too). You are a very courageous woman and I must say it again: WOW, that is one serious haunting. Thanks for sharing it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: