You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Barracks

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Barracks

 

In Jan 2005 I joined the army and had a few strange experiences while going through my first three months basic training. The barracks that we lived in during this time were roughly 20 years old, the older barracks on the other end of camp had been around since WW2 and were no longer in use but there had always been stories of strange things happening there in the past.

Some of the fellow recruits started telling stories of seeing a shadowy figure at the end of their beds at night. We all lived in 10 man rooms so I never felt scared at all until one night. While I was sleeping I heard something tapping on the end of bed frame, the frame was metal and it sounded like something metal was tapping on it, I thought it was one of the other guys in the room so I looked up but there was nothing there.

I remember we were all having dinner in the mess hall one night and one of the female recruits just came out and said "there's a face outside my window at night". We brought up these experiences with our course instructors and they confirmed that yes these things had been reported before, that there had been more than one suicide occur in the barrack blocks in past years. A young man had hung himself in our shower/bathroom block during the 90s and it is still haunted to this day.

I remember feeling very scared when I went to the bathroom during the night once. I was washing my hands and had this overwhelming feeling that there would be something standing behind me if I looked up into the mirror, of course I didn't look but that very strong feeling was there that I can't really explain. Nobody was ever harmed by the presence there and I was glad once we all graduated and left that place.

Anybody else experienced anything similar let me know, military camps supposedly have a lot of supernatural activity due to the hardships some people go through there and their history, that was my story.

Other hauntings by Tomo

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tomo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-19)
Hey Tomo, I'm ex nz army too. I'm pretty confident I know exactly the barracks you're talking about. Stuff been happening there for years. I never had an experience there but other guys did. Some are good friends and solid, wouldn't bs about it. Some instance were sudden temperature plunges accompanied by intense eery feelings, a couple of guys saw an apparition on different occasions (all in the ablutions) block, some would wake up finding themselves pinned down by something unseen. One occasion the pinning happened to an entire section in one room.

There was also an interesting incident down at burnham camp. One of my mates there saw what I believe to be a ghost on several occasions. He was a real solid guy and wouldn't make it up. He didn't believe in ghosts and actually thought he had lost his marbles. But from the experiences he described I really think he must be undeveloped psychic and seen spirits. Poor guy thought he'd gone round the twist, just wouldn't accept that it could be a ghost thing.
Tomo (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Yes it was waiouru camp, I have been back there several times now over the years and have been lucky not to experience anything else myself, however most people I know who have spent time there usually have a story or two to tell.
Rumiton (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
In 1990, I was doing a refresher/fitness course with the Royal Australian Navy at Jervis Bay, NSW. At 5:45am one morning we reported outside the gymnasium for calisthenics, but the instructor did not show up to let us in. It was absolutely dark, cold and raining. I said I would go around the back door and let everyone in. I opened the back door and started to walk through the darkness to the big front door. Halfway across I suddenly could hear dozens of angry voices close around me. I could not understand their words but was shocked and alarmed by the rage they were expressing. I switched the lights on and the voices stopped. I then let the others in and we did our morning training quite normally.

In about 1994 I was back at the training school on a weapons course. While eating in the mess I overheard another officer saying, "Yes, Navy knows about the gym. If someone can't stand it they don't hold it against them. They just get other duties." Of course, I asked what he meant. He said that when HMAS Voyager was sunk in 1964, many of the 82 drowned sailors were brought ashore and laid out for identification in the gymnasium. The sinking was later found to be due to the captain of Voyager getting drunk and giving an incorrect steering order. There is a bit more to this story, but those are the facts that might be considered paranormal.
KellzMelis (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
What army camp were you in? A friend of mine had a similar experience of the tapping on his bunk. He was in the Waiuru camp I think, or somewhere around there. I remember him coming home and telling me that he always felt as if he was being watched, not by anything sinister, but as if they were just curious.

Cheers, Kelly
Tomo (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Thanks for the positive responses guys, sorry that I kept it kind of brief, there were more strange happenings during that time to what I wrote in my story but decieded to tell only what I had experienced myself and heard first hand from others, but I agree that these places do house a lot of bad energy, a heard a story once of a guy close to breaking point on recruit course said he heard a voice at night telling him to harm others and even kill the platoon sergent, its good to hear all of your similar stories thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Oh my Lordy do you bring back the memories, Tomo.
My bunk-mate actually tried to commit suicide while in boot (just to clarify for those who do not know... Top bunk, bottom bunk = "bunk-mate"). The pressure was just too much.
We had one stall (I still find it hard to call it that. HOW can it be a stall if there is no door?) that would periodically (just enough that many people noticed, but NOT enough for us to have found the cause) clang as if there were someone tapping on a pipe with something metallic. Now, that could ALL be in the whole "pipe noise" that is natural, as there were several stories to our barracks and we lived on the second floor, but it was the "straw" for some that just made them too uneasy to use that particular stall.
We also had a bunk, right smack dab in the middle of the room, that would sway with no apparent reason. Not as if in a strong wind, but as if someone were laying on the bottom, with their feet up on the bottom side of the top bunk and gently rocking their knees back and forth (we DID try that out).
It is NOT an easy life, and it is difficult for some to stand silent while someone is screaming four inches away from their nose (truthfully, THAT is why I got "bagged back". I punched the DI. No court marshal as I was... "light fisted" 😆)
MOST recruits are in their late teens. They are still going through the dreaded "change" of morphing into the adult they were trained to BE. There are all these thoughts and feelings just swirling around the barracks, and no real way to stop them. Even if there WERE a way, it would be implosive to even attempt it.
Add to that all of the "horror" stories that are shared from company to company, platoon to platoon and so forth, and you have a petri dish just WAITING for an incident to grow.
Whether it is real or not, whether something HAPPENED or not (meaning an actual death) it was perceived. Just from my experiences, and my brothers (who was in a separate branch, several years distant from MY stint) all I can REALLY feel totally comfortable in stating is that there seems to be SOMETHING in barracks, dorms, units, and other places with high emotional yields IN them. Now, if those "things" are paranormal, or normal, or emotional, I honestly have no concrete proof.
BUT, it is soooo nice to read that someone else had similar experiences while in the military.
Thank you.
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Thanks for sharing your story. I believe an energy whether friendly or menecing lingers where people have been. The stress of the situation can be felt by those who are sensitive and any spirit who is lost can play havoc with the people put into their previous space. Take when my children went to visit colleges, after school had just let out, I could feel the intense energy coming from each room, joy or sadness. At one point, I actually thought I heard a young girl crying, but no one was in the room. I even smelled perfume. Pretty nerve-wrecking. I was glad to leave.

But yes, I think there is some merit to what you are saying. It is a place of extreme stress and I'm sure you were glad to leave as well.

God Bless,
Byluyster
Blondie95 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Nice story!

My cousin is in the army at the moment and he has had many paranormal experiences too! Some were a little like yours in the story.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
Thanks Tomo for sharing your story, guess you could have "spiced it" a little bit more with more details of your experiences, 😉 Cheers,
Claudia

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: