You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Childhood Home & Voices That Call To Me

Real Ghost Stories

My Childhood Home & Voices That Call To Me

 

I remember moving into my, then, new childhood home when I was around 8 years old. I was super thrilled because it was so much bigger than our last home and it even had a front yard and a good sized back yard to play in. The strange thing is that when we moved in I started to hear voices.

My grandparents took the back room down this creepy hallway that was aligned with the garage door. Whenever I was back there I would hear whispering. It sounded as if it was coming from the windows in the back of the room facing out to some banana trees. I could understand what it was that I was hearing, but it would creep me out. I told my parents about it; upon inspection my father would never hear it. My dad said it could be the neighbours' voices bouncing off the Banana trees' leaves. As long as I didn't go in the back room I felt I'd be okay, until I heard my name.

I played in my room letting my imagination take off when I heard my father call to me. I yelled, "Yes dad!" No response. Being afraid of getting "it" from my father by not responding quickly, I ran out to see what it was he needed. "Yeah pop?" He looked at me and said, "What's the matter?" I asked if he called. He said no. All right, I thought maybe my mind was playing tricks. Then it called again.

I was in the kitchen eating breakfast one morning when I heard my mother call me. I went to see what she wanted. I saw she was in her room cleaning the bathroom. I asked her what she needed. She said she hadn't called me. She was concerned and asked me what I had heard. I told her I heard her voice calling my name, and a while ago dad called to me as well, but he said he didn't. My mother is a very spiritual person. She loved God dearly and held great respect for those who passed away. She told me never to answer those voices, if I heard them calling not to acknowledge them. She instructed me to just go to her and dad and see if they we both okay." I agreed.

Over the years I would hear the voices calling to me. My oldest sister would also hear my parents calling to her, but it wouldn't be them. We both knew the drill. I think my parents were getting annoyed at seeing my sister and me coming to them for no reason. On a few occasions when I'd hear my name from a family member I'd look for them, but they wouldn't be home. The thing that was calling to us seemed to know we knew it was there.

One Sunday my father and I had chopped down those old banana trees out back in the yard. We spent the whole morning cleaning our yard; pulling the leaves, weed-whacking, chopping banana trunks, clipping the mock-orange, and so on. It was getting too hot and my dad said I should go in and take a shower as we were done for the day. He elected to go to the dump and throw out our trash, I said okay. When I was in the shower I had left both doors of the bathroom open. One door lead to the small bedroom, mine, and the other door lead to the back room, my grandparents room where I heard the whispering. I lathered shampoo onto my hair and I heard this shrill screaming that startled me.

It was the sound of my father! He screamed my name in excruciating pain. I was the most afraid I had ever been in my life. I jumped out of the shower, grabbed my towel, wrapped it around me, and I flew out the door. I got to the garage, the place I heard my father, and looked around. My adrenaline was pumping and I was getting ready to see the worst. I then realized that my father was at the dump. My heart slowed down and I turned to walk back into the house feeling a little embarrassed. As I took a step I felt something.

I was on my way back to the shower, but before I could get to the garage door I felt a chilling breeze touch my bare chest. The feeling went from my upper torso over one of my shoulders, and down my spine then disappeared completely. I couldn't explain it. Where does a cold breeze come from on a ninety-eight degrees mid day? Then where does it go?

I shuddered after that and quickly finished my shower. When my father got back I was relieved. Not because I was afraid of a paranormal experience, but because I thought he had gotten seriously hurt. I told him of what had happened and he couldn't say what it was.

To this day I still hear something call to me that isn't there.

Now I hear my wife call me all the time, but not by name. I always hear "Babe", "Honey", or hear her voice with a short indecipherable phrase. Luckily she hears my voice calling to her as well, so she doesn't think I'm crazy. What's even funnier is that now, when I visit my family at my old home, my sisters son comes out of his room on occasion and says "What is it mom?" to her while she and I are in the middle of a conversation. I tell him "Make sure you don't answer the voice back." My sister and I laugh because we remember doing the same thing.

If anyone has had a similar experience with things calling you by your name, I would love to hear them.

Other hauntings by 4d

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Hawaii

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 4d, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Wow, it has been a while since I had time to come back to this board. I hope this is read...

Whitebuffalo, no, no help asked for in this situation. We always just felt it was a part of life and not necessarily something to be concerned about. I haven't seen my sister's child react to anything unusual as of late, but I indeed get a call every now and then. 😆
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-23)
Excuse me, just for a moment please, 4d.

Your comment made me smile, Seeker. The story of Hannah, Elkanah, and their "late in life" son, Samuel, was always one of my favorites as it speaks of commitment to one's word.
The message that God gave Samuel was that Eli and his two wicked sons would die, and that He would raise up a new priest, one who would serve Him faithfully.
Thank you for reminding me of the story, and Priest Eli's guidance WITH young Samuel.

Interesting, 4d (by the way, thank you for allowing me to inject a non-related comment up there), how this thing is reaching out to the second generation. It is also comforting, I am sure to see it play out for others, too. I am sure it must be frustrating at times.
As your Mother was a very Spiritual person, did you ever try to get rid of whatever it was (well, I mean besides cutting down the trees)? Or solicit any help from outside forces?
Thank you.
seeker (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-23)
when I was little I heard a story in church about a kid in the bible, the kid worked for a king or something and heard the king call him but it wasn't him, after a couple of times the king told him TO ANSWER the voice something like this "yes my lord I am listning" so the kid did that and he had called to God. The bible doesn't say what they spoke about, but it could be God or an angle trying to call onto you.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
jennywhea,
Thanks for your post! I really think it starts to slow down once you ignore it, but sometimes it just makes you wonder why it chooses certain voices. I guess they are just looking for the right emotional charge from you to feed off the response or energy as some have said. Thanks again and Aloha - 4d ❤
jennywhea (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
Oh gosh that's so scary...
I remember those days,
It still happens tho but only for a little.
I would hear voices from people I'm really close to like family or friends.
I would hear them talking and calling me or even other people.
I even heard myself call my mom a few times.
Most of the times I hear my mom calling, "Jenny! Jenny! Help!"
I would be really scared but she would be at work and I would be at home.
I would call my mom and ask her if everything was okay. She'd ask if I was okay. But now, I just try to ignore the voices but I would think about them in my head.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
BethanysTears,
It seems that some times a malicious spirit will bother you for your reactions. I feel bad that it chose to copy a loved one so dear to you, don't let it bother you. If you believe in God, ask for Gods help during those troublesome moments. 😊 Talk to some one who feels the way you do, avoid Mom, they will support you instead of tearing you down. It's nice writing here in this site because we are all experiencing something similar and are just as curious as finding the answers we seek! Good luck, God bless, me ke aloha pumehana ❤ 4d
BethanysTears (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-11)
Hello, my name is Bethany and I ALWAYS hear voices... I am only safe in my bedroom. I start to cry sometimes cause my grandma is dead but her voice and other voices always talk outside the bathroom when I'm in the shower. I know it can't be her because her ghost has moved on. My cousin Melda and I had a dream on the same night about a month after her death. Our dreams were almost the same. My dream was my granny walking up to me and hugging me and I heard "I love you" being whispered as my gandma faded into a bright white and then she was gone. I know she has moved on and I just wish I knew why the ghosts in my house keep imitating her even after she has been dead a year and 3 months. They have always copied her voice and my mom's but I can never figure out why they only talk to me. I can't help but cry and my mom is trying to lock me up because she thinks I'm a bit crazy. (She shouldn't deny ghosts cause on my granny's funeral my granny's ghost slapped my mom on the back of the head when she was crying.)
I know this may sound weirdish but I inheirited this from my dad. He will admit and tell you all the stories that have happened to him. To this day I still hear my granny outside the bathroom and in the kitchen. I miss her tons. 😭 ❤ 😢
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
bluegirl0506,
I guess an unknown giggle is just as attention getting as a call of your name from a source of no origin! Thanks for sharing, Aloha ❤ 4d
bluegirl0506 (3 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
I really like this story. Very creepy. I have heard voices and children laughing but never my name.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
Thank you 4d. I very glad you like my story as much as I liked yours. Thank you again for posting it your story.
GIRLIE ❤
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
Shadow_witch,
That would be exactly what would happen to us. Do you still have this happen to you?

Luvparanormal,
No research has been done on my part. I should do some knowing that it could be trace energy left from ones passed. The problem still persists at my new home, but it no longer calls me by name 😨 These things really know how to push your buttons! 😆

HIVE_Mind_Confused,
That is real creepy! My wife heard me call to her the other night while I was on another Island. It said "So what you going to do?" Creeped her out. 😆 She said it sounded like me! Never said her name though.

Sqweeky1297,
No! You are definetly not crazy. I used to think I was until my sis said she heard it too!

Thanks all for sharing, it really makes me feel much better to know you have witnessed these things first hand. Mahalo no na 'ike! Thanks for the insight, Aloha- 4d
Sqweeky1297 (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
Thank you god now I know I'm not the only one! My mom didn't believe me when I said that I hear her call my name even when she wasn't home and if mat's (a friend of mine) girlfriend was with me she couldn't hear the vioces and only I could I also heard sounds beside vioces like heavy boots walking down stairs to the besment were me and mat's girlfriend spent a lot of tme. 😁 😲
HIVE_Mind_Confused (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
thats happened to me to, all through my life especially between the age of 5-8 and even now I hear voices (im 13 bye the way), but the funny thing is most of them are of people I don't know or I dident know at the time I herd them, I know this sounds silly but I have also herd people in my dreems calling to me shouting at me and telling me to do stuff not any thing bad but just randon things.
Anyways cool story bye the way
HIVE_Mind
❤ ❤ ❤
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
Great story! How long has your family had that house? Have you ever done any research on the history of it or the land? I wonder if that has anything to do with the happenings it's strange that this "entity" only calls on children.

shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-20)
This very same thing happened to me and my grandmother when I was about 4 or 5. We were sitting on the couch watching tv, when we both heard my grandpa call my Gramma from the bedroom. My grandpa had a very distinct voice, so it was no question that it was his. The only problem was, he wasn't even in the same county as us at the time. He was no where near the house at all. 😕 So WHO or WHAT called my gramma from the bedroom that day... Still remains a mystery to me, to this day. 😐
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-19)
Girlie,
Awesome story! I think perhaps something was telling you to do the right thing, and get to the field or where ever you practice 😆, too bad for your friend... Aloha-4d
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-19)
Hey,Ya I have had that happen. I was at soccar practice and I friend of mine wanted me to come to the bathroom with her (You know those type of girls). Well my mom didn't want me to go because any minute my coach was going to be there. I really I didn't want to go ether, but sense I ever really done that before I went anyway. So I was in there a she just wanted to hang out in a out side girls bathroom with bugs and everything (A.K.A nasty). Well after 2 or so mintues in there I heard my mom call me. So I tell my friend I have to go, because my mom wanted me not to go anyway so I guess the coach was there and she was calling me. Was my friend was really mad thinking at I didn't want to hang out with her (which I didn't really) but I was able to get out. I looked out on the field and there was no coach. I went to my mom who was reading and asked her was did she want. But like you she said I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. It didn't really surpise me because that was happen to me when I was between like 6-8 I think. Maybe 5. But that another story.
GIRLIE 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: