You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Prep School Ghost In Rome

Real Ghost Stories

Prep School Ghost In Rome

 

This is not your average ghost tale as while it was happening I did not know that I was indeed talking to and taunting what turned out to be my proof of the afterlife. This is indeed a true story and I swear by it on the souls of all those that I love that have passed before me. It happened over 25 years ago when I was a student at a prep-school in Rome while my father was working with N.A.T.O. I can remember every detail as clearly as it happened yesterday which I am grateful for, as it gave me the realization that we are in fact responsible for our actions in this life eventually. I am not saying I am a religious person but I am now because of this experience a spiritual one.

The school, Notre Dame International, was in fact a boarding school and the occurrence happened at 10:00pm.one night and lasted for a full 2 - 3 minutes as opposed to a quick glance of a shadow out of the corner of one's eye. I know the exact time because this was the time of "lights out" when we were all supposed to be back in our own rooms and hunkered down for the night.

I was already in bed and waiting for my roommate to come back from shootin' the breeze with the guys next door to us. The lights in our room were out, as the name of the time at hand implies, but the hallway lights were left on until later for the prefect to conduct his rounds. A few seconds after I had turned off the lights to our room and lay in bed, what I thought was my roommate Mike showed up standing at the door to our room silhouetted by the lights in the hall. The weird thing was that he just stood there for a full 30 seconds or more not saying anything or even moving. I figured he was just goofing around as usual so I told him he better get in his bed before the prefect came around and gives us problems. Nothing, no response at all, so I told him again with a little stronger emphasis to get his butt in the room. Still no response so this time I made the motion to get out of bed to confront him if he wanted to play games and it was at this time this "figure" entered the room by walking slowly and came to a stop after about 6 feet. Again another 30 seconds or so passed so I asked what the hell had gotten into him.

By this time this roomy of mine was only about 10 feet away from bed and just stood there motionless looking directly in my direction and still clearly defined by the lights of the hallway. By this time I was getting annoyed with this game so I got out of bed and as I did so the "figure" which I still thought to be my friend turned and walked behind one of our large clothes wardrobe and was no longer in sight.

Thinking I was about to be ambushed by Mikey I slinked along the far side of the wall with pillow in hand ready to beat the crap out of him for making me play this stupid game. Eventually I made it to the light switch and flipped it on expecting a frontal attack of some sort but nothing happened, there was nobody there.

After checking in the wardrobe obviously and finding no one I was actually confused if anything until it dawned on me what had just occurred. While I was sitting on my bed literally scratching my head trying to comprehend the magnitude of what I had just experienced Mike walked into the room and told me to turn off the lights quick before the prefect made his rounds.

Other hauntings by Carpediem

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Carpediem, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-17)
Dude that would be weird. I think the spirit was surprised that you could see him and talk to him which was why he (or she) didn't move at first. I also think that the spirit slipped into the wardrobe so it could disappear with out scaring the crap out of you. This spirit doesn't sound bad so that's good.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
I can imagine that shocked the bejesus out of you. It would have me as well. You had an encounter with a full blown apparition something most of us will never have. While I am not big on organized religion, I too was raised Catholic and have a lot of respect for the good aspects of the faith. Like any other discipline there will always be those that become holier than thou and end up doing terrible things because of it. Once the love of God is exchanged for the doctrines and dogmas you will always have forms of abuse. Hence the atrocities of many organized religions. On the other hand they are also the setting for missionary work, help with the poor and many good forces of good will and love.
Carpediem (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
Hey troyarn,
Am curious to know how you have been there as it is a private school for the children of diplomats with armed security. If you have indeed "been there" please descibe the outlay of the school and where in Rome it actually is.Sorry, but felt the need to call your bluff.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
I've been to this place and this is a joke they play on kids there. If it's true then we never found out. Good story though.
celtcharm (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Hello Carpediem, I enjoyed reading your experience. I love Italy. All 4 of my grandparents were born there. They later moved to America but always kept Italy close to their hearts. They had many tales to tell similar to your's of strange happenings and paranormal experiences! Thanks so much for shareing your great experience! Peace, Celtcharm 😊
Carpediem (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Hey Elina,
Look out for my other experience although not a a pleasant one for me by any means. I think the title will be aptly named "An Incarnation Of Evil".
Carpediem (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Dear members,
I apologise for the comment on organized religion and in fact have written the editor in hope that they may edit this part out. Upon further reflection I feel that it was inappropriate and would just like to add that it was not my intention to offend. I should also state that I was raised as a Roman Catholic and one of my more special memories was once having the opportunity to be seated within the first 10 rows or so of a midnight mass in the Vatican.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Very well written story. Bet that was a shock to your system, to realise you were read to pillow fight with whoever that was in your room.

Surya
Www.sanskrit-yoga.com
ElinaIoneki822 (9 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Carpediem... A motto I can honestly say that I live my everyday life to. I love your choice for this name! I instantly felt a connection to this story when I saw it.

About the religion portion... That is such a complicated subject to bring up, given that both sides of the story can prove to be good and bad. I agree with you that religion has caused problems in this world, because if you step back and take a look at what they're really teaching you, you would see that they tell you how you're supposed to live. And just about everyone who follows these religions has only one sight into all things. You must not have a closed mind in order to see the big picture, if you do, how can you see?

There are these "priests" and other "leaders" that try to tell us all what to believe in, when what you should believe in is right in front of you. Anyways, I could ramble on for hours!

As far as your story goes, I was very captivated by it! How amazing it is that this person was able to stand there for the amount of time you had said, you must give off a LOT of energy. Have you had any more experiences? I would LOVE to read them!

No offense to others and their belief systems, I mean no disrespect at all, I am here in peace.

Take care,
Elina ❤
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Carpediem -- what a cool name! -- thanks for sharing your story with us. In my experience, true spiritual/paranormal incidents have the power to transform our lives. They stay with us much longer than other memories and are much more vivid. I'd love to hear more about how this experience helped form your spiritual life. Perhaps another time? If you write it, I'd love to sit down with a cup of coffee and read it.

As for your feelings re: organized religion -- quoting here, "I actually feel that organized religions have caused more problems in this world than good" -- I'm sorry to hear it. I know of many wonderful outreach programs that benefit the poor, the infirm, the forgotten, and the vulnerable; and I volunteer for several of them on a regular basis.

A manic, rabidly zealous adherence to ANY belief system -- albeit religious, political, or even protectionist/ environmental -- can lead to death, disaster and mayhem IF annihilation of your perceived "opponent" is your sole focus. Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot in Cambodia -- each inflicted horrible carnage during the 20th century due to political self-interest. Millions have died -- and continue to suffer -- in the Darfur genocide. Ted Kaczinski - the environmentalist Unibomber; Eric Rudolph - the anti-abortion, Olympic Park bomber; Daniel San Diego - the eco-terrorist/animal rights protester recently added to the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List. Each has been willing to murder in the zealous furtherance of his own "cause."

Organized religion doesn't have a "lock" on heinous, bloody, stupid acts. Where ignorance, arrogance and prejudice flourish, there will you find tragedy and a true poverty of spirit.

When we close our minds because we disagree -- when we stop valuing each other as human beings -- THAT'S when tragedy ensues.

Wishing you peace,
A.
Carpediem (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Cholulteca,
Spare me the sarcasm as I made it clear from the onset that it was not my roommate to begin with. I was not writing a screenplay, I just told it like it happened.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Wow, very interesting... I can see you thinking your roomate wanted just to... How you say?, pull a prank on you?,...it turns out really unexpected... 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: