You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Guardian

Real Ghost Stories

The Guardian

 

First off, let me say that this has occurred in a couple of places, not just Missouri. What I'm telling you today, I've told to only a handful of people due to scrutiny, but it's true.

Everyone talks about guardian angels. How they help you when you're in trouble, if you're sick, etc... I just refer to mine as a guardian. Gives it more of a masculine feel, lol.

My first encounter with the guardian happened to me when my unit was deployed. As a turret gunner in a HUMVEE, I was pretty exposed to the elements. The new versions have the crown on the top to help prevent problems like I experienced, but at the time, all we had were the gunner shields.

We were travelling down the MSR and had to slow way down due to the marchers on Ramadan. Both sides of the road were occupied with the marchers so we went extra slow to make sure there were no incidents. Any veteran of the current Iraq conflict can probably relate to this type of experience. The area I was in was fairly safe. We had a good rapport with the LN's and the sheik of the area. Still, all of the marchers carrying flags and the singing all get a little distracting.

As I was trying to keep an eye out for any problems, I caught something out of my peripheral vision. It appeared to be an old man walking with a cane. He wasn't dressed like everyone else. It was so brief, I don't remember exactly what it was, but he was different. I swung my turret around for a better look and heard an awful "SMACK". I didn't realize at the moment what it was, but a broken half brick smacked into my gunners shield. If I hadn't spun around to see the old man, the brick would've smashed me in the head. We didn't have to catch the guy; the marchers did that for us. Our interpreter told us he was a 13 year old kid. He was detained, questioned and later released. It still scares me to this day.

Number #2. I was on my way back from a month long school. It was a 22-hour drive home and I decided to try and make it in one trip. Flame that if you want, I don't care. Anyway, I was on the interstate and was pretty much alone. I hadn't seen a car in quite awhile, so I say alone. In my rear view mirror, I saw a set of headlights coming up behind me. No big deal, I was actually going about 5-10 miles UNDER the speed limit so I can safely assume that a driver would overtake me quickly. The driver got closer than farther, closer than farther. I don't know if they were intoxicated, tired or what, but it weirded me out a little. Finally the driver pulled up beside me and stayed there a bit and began to speed up. Again, out of the corner of my eye, I saw what appeared to be the old man again flagging me down. I turned my head to follow him and applied the brakes. As I applied the brakes, the car that was next to me zipped into my lane.

I bet he didn't miss the front-end of my vehicle by more than a few inches.

I finally pulled over and tried to find the old man, but he was nowhere to be found. No vehicles off the road, nothing. No responses to my calls. I got back in my vehicle and finished my journey home.

Regardless, I know there was someone (thing) out there looking out for me. The weird part to me is, I don't remember anything like this as a kid. It just seems to have happened in my adulthood. Nothing has happened for about 3 years since, but I figured something like that would've followed me as a child.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, monkey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NadimahElizabeth (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-23)
That is cool. I am grateful for the one time I actually saw the one who intervened on my behalf and as seems to be commonly the case I was a child when it happened. My whole family lived in my grandmothers house at the time, there was a terrible storm and everyone was huddled in the downstairs livingroom for safety. I decided to slip out and go upstairs to get some toy from the attic room I normally slept in and when I got to the stairs a young man was sitting in my way. He told me not to be afraid and told me to go back downstairs and everything would be alright. The roof blew off that night while I was safely two floors below. Whoever he was, he probably saved my life.
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
hey spica, I have a story to tell you, not sure if it's really all that accurate though, because my grandpa tells it to me about his father, my great-grandpa. He swear's it's true, though.
When my great-grandpa was just a boy walking home from the one-room schoolhouse he used to go to, he heard something behind him. It was getting dark, so he figured it was just some nighttime animal walking thorugh the tall prairie grass, only it kept following him. He decided it was just one of his friends playing a trick on him, so he stepped behind a tree so that when whoever it was went by he could leap out and scare them. But no one came and he just stood there for who knows how long, before he decided that yeah it must have just been an animal. And he started off again. And he heard it again, coming behind him, rustling the grass. He kept walking, just ignoring it and hoping that it would go away, but no such luck. It was really dark and he was getting scared and angry and frustrated, so he grabbed a stick and began to slap at the grass and shout. He did this for several minutes until he ran out of fear and anger adn he just stood there waiting for something to happen. For a moment, nothing, then...
Then he heard a low, angry hissing noise, and the clump of grass right in front of him rattled and shivered, then whatever it was must have turned around, because he could see the grass parting as the thing headed in the other direction, away from him. He never found out waht it was.
It's a creepy story, only I have no idea if it's true. All I know is, when I have children I will most certainly tell them. It's a story that deserves to stay in our family, don't you think?
spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
La Llorona
This story goes way back before I was born, my uncle told us the story one Christmas day, when I was like 7 years old. He told us that when he and his work friends went to a bar to relax after a hard day at work, he saw the scariest thing in his entire life. All his friends went home before him and he stayed to drink more, it was already passing mid-night and he had to walk home, it was dark and it was a long way.

When he got near to the ravine, he saw a lady in white weeping and crying looking down, standing at the edge of the ravine, so he said "Are you ok? Be careful, you're going to fall" but no words came out of her. My uncle describe her, he said she was wearing a long white dress and she had no feet (actually floating in the air) he could only see her back. After a few seconds my uncle felt really bad and he started backing up, her weeping became louder and louder, then she turned around and my uncle scream, her face was indescribable and she had horse legs (she was part human and part animal).

After that, he never walked alone at mid-night around the ravine, he said that, at night he could hear her weeping soft in the air and he still gets the chills down his spine. People say that when you hear the weeping lady far far away, she is right outside your house or near you, and when you hear her really close and loud is because she is far away.

Thx 4 the interesting story...
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Monkey, that's what I was thinking.
Possibly he only shows up in terribly bad experiences.
Well, for your sake, I hope you don't have to see him again. But if you do, you should try talking to him, or saying hello, maybe to find out who he is:)
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Monkey,
I also began having experiences when I was in my twenties. I do not know why it happens later for some of us, but in your case, be glad it did. I always assumed that there was a profound reason for my tardy, intermittent sensitivity... 18 years and many experiences later and it still is not clear. Concentrate on the people and the things that you truly care about and your guardian will be there when you need him. The most important thing you should have learned from all this is that this is not your imagination; when the old man appears, you know to pay attention.
Good luck,
Lou
monkey (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-28)
Kecoughtan, I can't give you any details of clothing. My glimpses were fleeting and and they were just enough to catch my attention. Courtney, I haven't seen him in almost 3 years, but nothing traumatic has happened so maybe I only see him then?. Preacher, I too am curious why I never saw him as a child. Of the stories I've read, most associate them woth childhood.
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-28)
could be a relative, maybe one you didn't know very well that passed on, or maybe at those points in your life you really wore in danger that's maybe why it only choose to come out during those times
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
This old man is clearly trying to protect you in anyway he can.
Do you still see him very much?
Have you only seen him as an adult?
Thanks.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
Monkey, thanks for sharing these incredible experiences with us! I am not certain who this old man is or the nature of his bond to you, but clearly he has protected you in particularly dangerous situations. It is rather curious that you have only seen him as an adult. Your glimpses of him must have been fleeting and the angel somewhat peripheral, but can you describe him or any details about his clothing? Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: