You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Terrifying And True Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Terrifying And True Experience

 

I am 22 years old now, but when I was 17 I had an extremely terrifying experience that has stayed with me ever since. I was always getting in trouble when I was a teenager, kicked out of two high schools, ran away multiple times, and made life hard for my parents and myself. It was the summer and I was in "I'll do whatever I want mode." One day my parents had called and told me I had to come home. I didn't want to so I said "No way, I want to hang out with my girlfriends." My parents response was, "Well you either come home or you can find some place else to live." So I did, I asked my friend if I could get a job and live with her for a while in her apartment. She wanted some help with the rent so she said sure.

Her "apartment," was the upstairs of a 150 year old home that had been split up into four apartments. The building itself is around 150 years old and has a sign out front with the names of the original owners as it was one of the first in my hometown. I actually never even noticed the sign or that it had history until after I left.

The apartment was pretty spread out, and at the very back of it was the smallest of three bedrooms. I made that my room because it was the most private. After a while it pretty much turned into the smoke room. The first couple weeks were really fun staying there and we threw a couple of parties. But after a couple of weeks staying there, I can remember walking home from work, and my friend would be gone. I would go in the front door and walk up the wooden stairs to our door. As soon as I got to the door, the hair would always stand up on my neck because I felt like something was on the other side of the door that really didn't want me there. Of course I had to go in anyways because I had no where else to go, and nothing had actually happened to make me so scared. So, I would go in, get some food, and kind of just sit on the couch with my back to the wall until my roommate got home.

One night, I mentioned how I was getting kind of creeped out in the apartment and she said "Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's haunted." She told me that she would often be watching TV and her miniature dog would bound off the couch and run into my room. She said it would be pitch dark in the room, but he would just stand there barking at the ceiling, however she never saw anything. That was pretty creepy, considering it was my room, so I opted to sleep on the couch that night.

I fell asleep with her little dog curled up next to me. In the morning is when an extremely frightening thing happened to me. I just remember waking up to a "man" or something with a mans voice laughing very loudly and tauntingly in my ear. I was immediately struck with terror and confusion. I looked into my roommate's bedroom and saw her sleeping on her bed while this was going on. I tried to yell out for her, but it was like I was frozen, and no words were coming out. I had an overwhelming feeling like all of my energy was just being sucked out of me. On top of what was already going on, after a minute, the ENTIRE HOUSE started shaking. I can remember thinking," It's light out, I know it's the morning, I can't believe this is happening right now." I think this attack lasted for about two minutes and then whatever it was seemed to be sucked out of the window. It's not that I saw it being sucked out of the window; I just felt it leave that way. My voice returned after another minute and I called for my roommate. When she woke up she said that she had not heard ANYTHING. I couldn't believe what had just happened and I was too petrified to continue living there.

I told a couple of people about my experience, but I was so disturbed by it that I did research at the library on the history of the home. I did not come across anyone that had passed away in the home or even anything unusual. I personally believe that what attacked me may have been more than an unrest spirit of a human being. The more time that goes on the more convinced I am that it may have been a demonic attack. The idea of it scares me to death, but I'm pretty sure that was the point. God Bless anyone who has had any experiences with demons.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, benk22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
have you ever heard of "old hag syndrome"? Its something similar to sleep paralysis. Personaly I don't believe in the scientific explanation. Scientists are always trying to explain away peoples experiences with spirits and other things. Anyhow, I had one experience when I was between 10 and 11 years of age. Except I heard voices talking about me, footsteps around my bed, and something sitting on my legs. I couldn't move or talk. Scary as hell!
Shy (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Why does the comments keep saying clowns in random spots that don't even make sense
klm123 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-22)
😕 I have had the same experience but I was over my friends for the night and I heared a man laughing in my ear and the room was shaking but my friend couldn't hear a thing 🤔
Linsey87 (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I have always been a true believer in paranormal life whether it be ghosts or demons but I can explain this experience. You see, when I was 13 my father passed away and I became a very uneasy sleeper. I've had this experience happen to me quite often but I noticed a pattern and looked into it properly. I suffer from sleep paralysis (which is exactly what these occurences are) if you are stressed or your sleep pattern is interrupted then you can have an out of body experience (sleep paralysis) where your body is asleep and your mind is awake and in this situation where you can't move or talk you naturally begin to panic and in your half asleep/awake state of mind the panicking causes you to hallucinate and you see and hear things that aren't there which are completely harmless but none the less is seriously scary! Of course there are other explanations of what causes sleep paralysis such as witches and demons taking over your body and feelings such as someone or something sitting on your chest or your back or someone pulling at you or holding you down, which is believable but I would rather opt for the medical explanation. I have even seen the girl from the film The Ring crawl out of my tv... Yes I need help
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-18)
I experienced something very similar when I was 7 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday, because it was the most frightening paranormal experience I ever had. (And I've had a few!)

Anyway...My parents and I had moved in to a house that wasn't very large. It was roomy enough though, and though it wasn't really all that creepy looking, it WAS rather old, and for some reason, it just scared the LIFE out of me!

I was an only child (meaning I had my own room) but though most kids would've been happy about this, I wasn't! That's because my bedroom had a very bad vibe to it, and there was something about the closet that petrified me.

Well, to make a long story short (since I don't want to hi-jack YOUR story!) one night, I was sleeping with my head under the covers (like all kids do when they're scared) and though I THOUGHT the covers were protecting me from "whatever" was in my room, I soon found out different!

Suddenly the room became deathly quiet, like all the air was just sucked out of it. You could have heard a pin drop as I lay there listening to the sound of my own shallow breathing, when suddenly, from UNDER THE COVERS, I heard the most HIDEOUS, EVIL SOUNDING LAUGH that I have EVER heard, RIGHT IN MY LEFT EAR! "MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

To this day, I still don't know what it was, but I know for certain, that WHATEVER it was...

It was NOT NICE! 😨
purpleflowers (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-16)
omg that's really scary, when I was young, I had someone screaming in my ear! And it felt like I was frozen while they did that! 😨
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-02)
I can provide info! This was probably a demon. Shaking the house is a rare but demonic event. Spirits need a lot of energy to manifest themselves just to maybe move a marble. Demons do not need any energy to do things. Hope I helped!

Gd Bless!
benk22 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
Jitow-Yes, I do believe in Jesus Christ and reading the Bible has given me a lot of strength in my life. At the time this took place I was not particularly concerned with faith, but I have always believed. I think that I was infact a pretty sinful person at the time, especially towards my parents. Maybe I did leave myself susceptable to what happened to me. And, hopefully now that I take life seriously this won't happen again. There is always a fear there tho once you have something like this happen to you that it could happen again.
benk22 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
Confused-Thanks for your post. I can understand your curiousity, I have always been curious about "the other side" too. This was by far the most extreme experience with it that I ever had though, and I can tell you that you do not want this to happen to you. Being scared can be fun sometimes, but to be truly petrified and lose control... Uh it really sucks. So, I hope that you dont.
benk22 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
zoajet-I left the apartment shortly after this event occured, so I don't know if the spirit remains. I know that since a lot of different people have lived there. Also, I am still unsure if it was truly a ghost or a demon. Maybe someone with experience in these things will read the story and be able to provide me with possible answers.:)
Confused (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope to never have an experience like that, yet somehow I envy you.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Not sure if you or your family are Christian, but since you mentioned the "D" word, you must believe something about the Bible. Take the 10 commandments, this is the only commandment with a promise from God, "Honor your father and mother, and you will live a long and happy life". This also implies that if you do not honor your mother and father, you will not live a long and happy life. Just something to think about.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
shaking the house? That would only be capable with a vert strong and dangerouse ghost. Is it still there or did it leave?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: