You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Frail Old Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Frail Old Man

 

In the late eighties, my father was transferred from Mumbai to Lonavala, a Hill Station, around 120 Kms from Mumbai. I was in the 9th grade. My mom my elder brother and me would visit my father during our summer holidays.

My cousin Parag, who is a couple of years older than me stays in Lonavala and we used to have a great time roaming around and generally having a lot of fun. Our favourite pastime was to go at night to a nearby hill overlooking a school on our bicycles with a flask of coffee, chat, and enjoy the cool breeze and gaze at the stars. Two friends of Parag also used to come along on their bicycles.

One night we were at our rendezvous as usual, chatting and having coffee when we saw someone coming towards us. As the figure came near, we saw that it was frail old man. It seemed strange for someone to be there at such a late hour. Out of curiosity we asked the old man who he was and whether he needed any help. The man told us that he lived in one of the nearby villages and had to catch the late night train to Mumbai. He was going to Mumbai to visit his son and was on his way to the railway station. Taking pity on him and also due to the fact that he would miss his train Parag offered him a ride on his bicycle to the railway station. Me and my brother also went along with Parag on the other bikes which his friends. After dropping him off at the station, we again came back to our spot and again began chatting away.

Something then happened which still sends a shiver down my spine even after all these years. It must have been around half an hour after we dropped off the man at the station. We were feeling sleepy and were planning go back home. We suddenly saw a figure coming towards us in the darkness. Imagine our shock when we saw the same frail old man again coming towards us asking us for a lift to the railway station where we had dropped him a short while ago.

Everyone was shocked, we felt as if we were in a trance and unable to move. It was just impossible for the old man to trek back from the station and reach our place in 15 minutes. It had taken us around 30 minutes to drop him off to the station and come back on our bicycles. He surely could not do anything better that that on foot.

Somehow I gathered my composure, said a silent prayer which seemed to pull me out of the trance. I then quickly shook the others and we got on our bicycles and got out of that place as soon as possible never bothering to look back even once.

None of us slept that night.

A couple of days later we asked some of the locals about the old man but no one seemed to know anything about him nor had anyone come across him earlier. But we were advised to stay away from that place.

I have been to Lonavala many times after that but never had the courage to visit our old haunt even once.

Other hauntings by sanjubhat

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sanjubhat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
well... That old guy seemed harmless though.

Which is your LATEST ghostly experience?
ashu123 (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
Sanjay,
I am one of your biggest fans... 😆
Write some more stories
I Got freaked out from the stories... 😁
AN OFFICE HAUNTING and AGHORI (TOOO GOOOD)
gautamnayakr15 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
you write nice. I am new here. I have got a gruesome story to tell you guys which happened 4 months back. But I will have to wait for a month to publish it here.
naveen9885 (25 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-27)
R you still ALIVE. I have a question did you think of you once why you only expereincing these many. You had seen ghost these many times just try to enquire of your self why this type of incidents happening to you. You may find some thing important.
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-31)
Hi Anupama, I am glad that you liked my posts. I will definitely go to Murud & Kashid beaches again & let's hope that I don't have any encounters with the other world. Else you will definitely hear about it from me. 😊
anupama (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-30)
Hi sanju.
I really enjoyed reading your experiences. The most impressive article was " NATRAJ IDOL" was really very interesing.
So when are you planning to visit to MURUD resort.? (I mean for the next encounter with the ghost.
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Thanks for your comments guys.
After looking back at the incident, I fully agree with "Confused" about the fact the old man probably died without meeting his son & the cycle repeats itself again and again periodically until his soul finds peace. I too feel sad for him since he did not try to harm us in any way, though we were really scared at that moment.
Will be posting my second story shortly.
Pls provide your comments... Will really encourage me to write more.
celtcharm (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-02)
Hello Sanjubhat, I really enjoyed reading your experience! I read lots of ghost stories on many different websites and your's really caught my attention. If you have anymore encounters please share them with us! Peace, Celtcharm
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-02)
I have no idea what it is like to have such a "lively" encounter with someone who seems to be not of your world but I think I would have been overwhelmed to put it mildly by the experience.

Although I'm a curious type of person and despite my first shock, I usually like to search for the answers, I can totally relate to your decision to not look back that day!
Confused (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
I know it might sound a little strange, and frankly, I do not know how I would react under such circumstances, but you might want to return to that place some night and see if you come across the old man again. After all, he is obiously friendly. If I had to guess, I would say that he died before he could see his son again; so in death, he makes the trek over and over in an attempt to make up for it. I actually feel quite sorry for him if that is the case.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Sanjubhat--A type of encounter not unknown in the annals of the supernatural, but one I bet you'll never forget. It's brilliantly simple and a memorable reward for your friend's kind impulse and action.
I wonder, if someone had boarded the train with the frail old man, what further experience you might have had.
Thank you for sharing--with him and with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: