You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Navajo Rez: Skinwalker

Real Ghost Stories

Navajo Rez: Skinwalker

 

I am also a newcomer to this site and enjoy reading all the stories and experiences that everybody has had. I would like to share a few experiences of my own. As half Navajo and Hopi I've had my share of "experiences" on and off the Navajo and Hopi "rez". I hope that I won't get any ridicule from any other Native Americans for posting these experiences.

One experience that I would like to share happened when I was 14 years old (I'm now 29). This is an experience that I have only shared with a small number of people and am now writing down for the very first time. My brother who is a hardened soldier is still scared about what happened to us this particular evening.

On with the story...

As a teenager, I would visit my grandma at her home on the Navajo rez for several weeks every summer. I loved to spend time with her, eat her delicious fried bread, and hear her tell us stories. Every so often my grandma would hire a worker (the harmless town drunk) to do odd jobs around her house and property. One evening right before the sun went down, I was asked by my grandma to take him home, which was about four miles out of the valley where she lived. I was more than happy to, seeing that I was only 14 years old and was asked to drive a truck! Mind you that on the rez, nobody cares that you're only 14 years old and driving around. Hell, there's hardly anybody around to see you anyway! So my 9 year old brother jumped in the truck cab with me while this "worker" and my dog shared the tailgate of the truck and we were off. After I dropped the worker off at the shack that he and his brothers called a house, we headed back down the road to grandmas. As I mentioned before, it was evening and the sky was a deep red as the sun began to set behind us. We were leaving a nice dust trail from the dirt road and the radio was playing music from the only radio station that could be picked up from the nearest town of Holbrook, Arizona.

There was nothing unusual, nothing weird. It was at this time that my eye caught movement of something in the bushes a little up the road to the right of us. I remember slowing down thinking that it was one of the many free roaming sheep in the area that would dart out in front of the truck. As I passed where I thought I saw it, I sped up thinking nothing else of it. Then out of nowhere I just felt this dark feeling of fear and dread. I had no idea why I was feeling this way but I definitely felt that something was wrong.

As I play this memory back in my mind, there are only a few clear memories that I have of that evening. I clearly remember looking in my rearview mirror and seeing the dark silhouette of something very tall and very skinny that seemed to be covered with some kind of hair or fur running behind the truck after us! Whatever it was, it wasn't a normal human or human at all. I remember hearing my brother crying and my dog barking ferociously at whatever was chasing us. I remember speeding very fast and shaking violently as the truck bounced on the washboard dirt road. I distinctly remember that this thing was only getting closer as my brother cried "it's coming up on your side!" I remember being as scared as hell and thinking that I didn't want to die. At the moment that I thought would be our last. I remember speeding around a bend in the road and seeing a car coming towards us in the opposite direction. At that moment I felt instant relief and felt that whatever was following us was gone.

Shaken up but alive, we made it to grandma's house wondering what the hell had just happened. We ran inside not looking back, hoping that whatever was chasing us had not followed us home. As we told my grandma about our experience she didn't seem too surprised, which surprised us. She continued by repeating stories that we had already heard at one point or another about black magic, witches, and something that the Navajos call Yee Nadlooshii or Skinwalkers. Needless to say, I didn't even want to look out any of the windows at all the rest of that night. As a matter of fact, I never drove on the reservation at night until I was 21 years old.

Without going too deep into explanation, I'll just say that these Skin-walkers are evil men and spirits that use black magic for evil doing. I tell you that as farfetched as it may sound, they are real! I believe that if God and his greatness are real, the devil is equally as real and also has his ways of showing himself.

This may not sound very scary to some readers and that may be due to my lack of writing skills. But what happened that evening really did happen and scared the living crap out of me. I invite anybody to visit this part of Arizona if you have any doubt or want huge scare. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

I hope that you enjoyed my story and I look forward to sharing other experiences soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tracker337, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Antu (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-22)
I know this thread is rather old; however I stumbled upon it while trying to find something regarding a very recent experience I had (2 nights ago from writing) and I was compelled to read the thread as I had a very similar experience about 20 years ago which was really a combination of 2 events over the course of the afternoon and evening.

First off, I am not trying to assert I am First Nation other than a very small percentage of Ute; however my wife is appx. 1/4 Shawnee and a smaller part Cherokee, otherwise I am almost exclusively of Scottish and Irish decent. I do consider myself very 'sensitive' and have had more experiences, with things most people call paranormal, then I will ever hope to recall at this point. I also have had a lifelong passion of studying belief systems of First Nation/Native American cultures.

My wife, then fiancé, were driving home to California from visiting her people in Kentucky and we decided to spend a few days in the Santa Fe, NM area. During our time, one day we went to visit Bandelier and arrived there around 1400 hours on a day in July. Immediately upon arriving, I could tell this was a special day. Everything was in a dream-like state where my senses were greatly heightened and I could feel the energy of everything around me and the park was virtually deserted, which was odd for this time of year. As soon as we started down the path to the ruins, at the first fork in the path, we were confronted by a very large, black wolf. I know wolves are very uncommon in this part of the country, but we saw what we saw. Also, the black wolf is one of my 3 spirit guides, so while a little surprised to see him within 15 meters in front of me and my wife (easier to say after being married so long now), I had no fear and locked eyes with him and he told me to take the path to the left. He stood there for a moment longer and then led us down the left path and then disappeared into the bush. The rest of the visit was uneventful from the point telling of my experience, but my heightened awareness did continue.

So now, it is beginning to get late and almost time for dusk, so my wife and I go back to our truck to go back to Santa Fe. For some reason, it seems like it took hours to get even to White Rock and by the time we pass through White Rock, it is pitch black out with no moon. As we were heading NE towards Santa Clara Pueblo, a smallish man with red eyes was in the road. He too had furs on and he turned and started running in the direction we were traveling in front of the truck. Within a matter of seconds, he dropped to all fours and was still running in front of us. We were traveling at about 45 mph and I think I probably had slowed somewhat, but he kept pace about 20 meters in front of the truck regardless of my speed. After he dropped to all fours, he eventually turned in to a wolf and dodged off the road to the left into the bush.

I have never fully processed this experience, although my wife and I have spoken of it a couple of times, but we were never really scared, it was just something amazing that we experienced together, just as we were starting our lives' together. So my most prevalent thought is this was the spirit world showing their approval for union. I also think the spirit world was trying to test me to see if I would place my trust in the relationship between the spirit world and the physical world and to remind me the spirit world is always there to guide us through life.

Tracker, thank you for posting your experience. I hope at this point in time, several years after your experience, you have been able to draw some wisdoms from your experience, but I am afraid they are your wisdoms to pull, not for another one of us to tell you. Thank you for allowing me to post my experience, which only my wife and now my children have ever known, and I think in my telling of my experience, I now know what I need to do with the current issue at hand--the spirit world at work again...
Dogdreamer (1 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2014-10-27)
Victim I have seen you in my dreams. I know you have gone back to the path many times.
TurquoiseBoi (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
Oh by the way - on the way back to the Rez two weekends ago - driving to the Rez around 1am - I had a coyote (or something that look like a coyote) running next to me along the highway (I am driving 85-90 mph) for a about. 5 mile - then reappeared again about 20 miles later - again ran next to me for about another 3/4 mile... I believe that was a skinwalker.
TurquoiseBoi (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
Tracker - your story is not so unusual on the Rez - here's mine - - I am driving to the Navajo Rez this weekend - the last time I was there, two weekends ago, I went back to support my sister who had a medicine man come to her house to perform a ceremony to get rid of an evil presence (she was told that someone had entered her house while she was away for a few days and sprinkled sand from a cemetery and also left some weird marking on railing outside her patio - lightening and a skull). One month ago, her brand new truck had the drive shaft fall apart just as she got to the main highway - close relatives had unscrewed the gear shaft and also tried to cut some wires so her brakes would fail. I drove straight to her place, attended the prayer ceremony (which lasted about 2 hours), I left immediately afterwards so I would not be seeing in the area... As soon as I got on the main highway, the "Maintenance Required" light came one on my brand new rental car - which only had 2,000 miles on it. Needless to say, on the way back across the State line, a truck passed me and within 50 feet or so, his tired blew up as he drove over something, 300 miles later, a work truck passed me coming down a curvy hillside, and one of the ladders that he had on top flew off, landing right in my lane - I was far enough behind to quickly change lanes. I am going back again this weekend as I the medicine man told my sister I needed get something out that is buried at the cemetery that was meant for me to have an accident or something. I am Dineh but have not lived on the Rez in years - for good reasons - I will give an update when I return.
Danyellex3 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
thats scary! 😨 if that ever happened to me, I'd do the same too... But that would forever haunt me. Too make sure that it wouldn't happen to my family or friends, I would tell them my story.
nickl33 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-12)
Up here at the Tuscarora rez in New York we call it a Scadadi...
kittymotley (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
I have a friend who is deeply enriched in her culture. As she has never lied to me before and was very shaken by the experience I believer her as well. Her grandfather is a medicine man who practices (as she called it) white magic. He had angered a fellow member of the tribe who practiced the black magic and he fell really ill. The man said he was going to get all of his family, especially the weaker. That night my friend was attacked by an owl (the man collected things with owls, and I believe his spirit animal was the owl). While she was being attacked her brother grabbed his bb gun and shot it in the right leg. It flew off. At the next tribal meeting, her grandfather was feeling better, after a blessing, and the saw his "enemy" (if you will). His right leg was bandaged up and he had told a fellow member he had been shot. This left my friend very shaken, as she had believed in paranormal but was not a firm believer of the powers of the elders and medicine men. She hasn't doubted any of them since. I won't say her name due to it not being my story, but she was a young teenager at the time.
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Gee Whiz, Victim. Sounds like you were with Chaska Welsh (aka Chaska Walker, Chaska Sully).

Creator help us all if you were with another person who has the same characteristics and personality. There needn't be more of them in this world! There's enough evil in this world perpetuated by humans alone! We don't need beings like this messing around with us too!
They can just keep to themselves and leave us alone.

Tracker... Wow! Skinwalkers are a bit different for our tribe... But yeah... Basically they are people that turn into animals, remain mysterious, can read your mind, always know what you are doing or saying so that nothing you do is ever private.

Like WhiteBuffalo said, yes, their eyes glow like animals eyes... If you get the chance to know one, unfortunately I have, you'll see another Iris, one that glows a sort of amber color in light, if you happen to look at them in the right angle. When you ask about that "extra" iris, you are met with scorn and cold abandon, and told, "It's nothing.". They have an extremely great sense of smell, pretty much like a pregnant woman's sense of smell, where they can smell what normal humans can't.
juggalo-city4-17 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
tracker it was a great story but there are a few things I need to ask you please when you get a chance email me at juggalo_city4-17 [at] hotmail.com it involves 1 or 2 skinwalkers they have been following me and my friend for weeks now we need some information please email me as soon as possible
dinenaalanicomanche (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-08)
Great story. But I think people should know that over the years tales of skinwalkers have been exaggerated. I have been reading some of these posted stories and they are interesting. I have a healthy interest only because it is a part of the Navajo culture, not because I want to "hunt and record" skin walkers. Which is the reason I asked my grandpa if he believes in skin walkers. Out of all the grandpas and grandmas I know, I asked him because I knew he would be honest with me. He was taught everything his dad (a medicine man) knew before he passed away. Luckily He passed away before he could see all the medicine men scaring people with lies about skinwalkers and charging a lot of money for services that wer meant to help the Dine people. NOT EXPLOIT THEM. My grandpa has also been a Navajo Nation council member (when they weren't lazy and greedy) and has a masters in political science. He's an educated man who was raised the Navajo traditional way and as an adult shared Christian belief. I wanted to share his educational / beliefs background to show my grandpa isn't a drunk relative telling stories to scare children.
While we were heading back to drop me off at college I brought up the subject of Navajo beliefs and that drifted into how the Navajos tried to stop the bilagaanas. The Navajos used skin walkers. I asked him to tell me more and he was hesitant. I know its taboo to talk about skin walkers and that girls shouldn't have any interest in them, but I do. I have grown up hearing my friends and family tell of how they saw or heard a skin walker and I always wondered how they knew. I'd ask and they say "you just know." Ok, does it like telepathically say "hey I'm a skin walker?" Anyways my grandpa tells me the history of skinwalkers. He says that the Navajos would chose their best warriors to spy on other tribes (Apache, Hopi, etc...). The warriors would be spying to figure out when to raid the enemies or find out what they could steal or to see if anyone planned on attacking them. Stealing wasn't considered a crime because it was a rite of passage for men and a way for people to share the wealth. The warriors would wear face paint, the colors black, red, and white to represent what they were. The red paint would cover from the eyebrows and up and also the entire body expet for the face, the black was around the eyes to the bottom of the nose and white from the nose to the chin. They would have coyote pelt with the ears attached tied around their body with yucca. They would wear a pelt to cover their private areas. Yucca would be used to attach the mouth to the coyote ears so when the mouth moved a certain way the ears would move like a real coyotes ears. Their arms would be bent and tied so they walked on their elbows to look more like coyotes. They chose to look like coyotes because it was the closest resemblance to humans, so they wouldn't get caught spying. At night the warriors would dress up and head to their enemies village to gather information then head home. Traditionally the skin walkers were used against other tribes but over time and bilagaanas attempt to get natives to fight with each other caused people to use skinwalkers against each other. Jealousy, corruption, and confusion has caused Navajos to attack other Navajos. My grandpa experienced it himself. When he was around 10 years old he was the only one in the Hogan with his 6 younger siblings. It was late at night when they heard someone walking around the Hogan. It started off quietly then the steps grew louder and louder until it went dead silent. My grandpa was scared but hid it from his family. They sat in the middle of the Hogan huddled together, scared to make a noise because it might bring the thing back. A half hour later they start to hear footsteps again, slowly making its way towards the door then they heard a thud on top of the Hogan. The thing was walking on top of the Hogan towards the middle to the stove pipe. My grandpa ran to get the bow and arrow hanging on top of the door way and headed for the stove. He opened the hatch and looked up. He saw a man with his face painted, wearing a coyote skin and arms tied with yucca. He was taught by his father how to recognize a skinwalker and how to kill it. He then dipped the four arrows he had in ashes and started to shoot at the creature. His last arrow shot the creature on the side of his body and all they heard next was the skinwalker falling off the roof to the floor. They didn't look outside but my grandpa knew it was dying. Instead they went to sleep huddled together. The next afternoon his dad came back and told my grandpa one of his uncles had passed away from a wound on his side. My grandpa knows it was his uncle who was trying to attack them. I believe there are skin walkers and ghosts and other supernatural beings but I don't mess with them. I wish more Navajo elders would share their stories and experiences because how else can the new generations protect themselves. Knowledge is power and right now the young are powerless.
P.S. The arrows were dipped in ashes because ashes drive evil spirits away and bow/arrows are the only weapon that can truly kill a skinwalker. They have a way of protecting themselves from modern weapons. My grandpa is an educated wise man and I am an educated college student
dante20 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
very good story, but not all skin walkers are evil. You can be made into one by a skin walker you don't need to kill a person to become one
anniewilder (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
Hi Tracker, I would have been terrified ~ like everyone else is saying, I'm glad you and your brother made it home safely. I'd like to talk to you about including this story in a book I'm writing on haunted road stories. You would receive a stipend of $25.00 and a free copy of the book. And you could use a pen name if you want. If interested, please email me at: truckerghoststories [at] yahoo.com.

Thanks, Annie
RezJuggalo (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-06)
I always experience them in the mountains like you'll always hear stuff and sometimes you'll see stuff. I go out to wheatfield and when I camp on the other side of the lake there's coyotes howling and you'll hear bigfoot. Not really much people I know believe in bigfoot but he's there and you'll hear him sometimes howling in the middle of the night. Skinwalkers are real and noshiat if your driving in the middle of nowhere in the rez you'll see something on the sides of the road. Not to be a showoff I'm not really scared of them nomore because I've had to experience this my whole life but whoever don't believe in skinwalkers then go out in the rez and drive in the middle of nowhere because something will happen especially if you whistle. But I believe this story and it scared my friend when he read this hahahaha well I'm out peace
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
What a well written story and I'm glad you and your brother got away safely... Its hard for me to form an opinion as I have no knowledge or experiences with such creatures... I do however believe your account and believe what you were sensing was something evil... I wonder if you had heard any other similar accounts in that vicinity...?

Regards Daz...
TsoJimFlyboy (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
From what I know way way back in the day skinwalkers were used only for traditional reasons. For insteans when there is a ceramony, certain types of plants were needed. These plants were only found on the four sacred mountains or somewhere far. This is were skinwalkers come into play. They would be used to travel these far distances to gather the plants and bring them back. However, these skinwalker I guess started using these special abilitys for bad deeds such as geting revenge or being jelouse and harming others. Since then all I hear is bad things about skinwalkers. I have also heard that now days to become a skinwalker you have to kill someone in your family that you love the most. Then you have to do many other things as well to get anisheated. I don't really now much more but once I find out I'm willing to post it. I also do know this tho, if you are ever on the navajo rez try not to drive at night. Especially alone. Lastly don't whistle in less you want 1 to come. If you do be very carefull!
izle234 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-03)
Very interesting. I, too, live in Arizona, but have yet to see any yenaaldlooskii, but I keep my eyes open whenever I cross the Navajo Reservation. Have you seen any other skinwalkers ever? Or was this your only experience? I am trying to learn as much as I can on this subject, so any information would be appreciated. Blessed Be, izle
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-01)
Ugh, I've come across a skin walker before, and this was definitely terrifying to read. Don't worry about your writing skills, because you hooked me with the suspense. I was terrified and on the edge of my seat when you wrote about it gaining on you in the truck.
I'm actually going to favorite this story, and I (well, haven't yet) am picky when it comes to favorites.
Its a very good story. 😨
Asdzani (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-19)
I believe. I've also had some experiances too but on jemez rez... I'm half jemez and half navajo but I've yet to have seen the navajo rez...
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
I think what some call demons and skinwalkers are the same thing. They take on differnet shapes and behaviours depending on the religion and culture of the people they happen to be around. Every culture has something similar, in it's history and they always somehow fit the culture. Native Americans revered nature, so skinwalkers often appear in the form of twisted unnatural animals.
julez_c (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
hello, iam also native american. I'm 20 years old. Well I just got done reading your storie and it sounds krazie. But as native americans we strongly believe in the spirit world. Yet every tribe has different believeths. In our tribe these things known as "skin walkers" are bad people who use medicine in evil ways. As tribe we are not supposed to see these things... They are bad luck and you could die. So if tribal memeber see them you shall say a prayer and go to medine man. But my cousin he was young but he older nw. He was lived in city and people was so jelouse of my aunt and her family because they was so traditional and my cousins won almost every stick game and pow-wow contest. Well one early morning my cousin used to deliver newspapers to city... An my sister was with him. It was like 4 or 5 in morining. He said he walking and they heard something make noise behind a car it was following them. He said he threw a rock at it and it jumped into the tree and took off. They got scared and came home. He didn't tell my aunt he seen it but when she found out she was so upset and took him to medicine man. But this storie sounds scarey specially if you live on rez.
crazyhorse (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
ive seen one that's not really "scary" but its a good story to tell other people
victim (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
I forgot to add that I believed he was doing strange things to my cell phone. I actually changed the number twice. I also think that he made phone calls to family members who I never gave him the numbers to and tried to play little tricks and get them to send money through wires. Although he did not physically seem to cause all of my heartache, I felt like I was under a spell when I was with him and I actually admitted to things I had done, that never would have in the past. He turned the whole situation around to make it look like I was the bad one. I don't sleep much anymore and feel that I am in a fog, I forget everything, can't concentrate and do not find sex satisfying. Although he was never nice to me, I would have these dreams of him that were beautiful. It was like I was waiting for him to reveal himself to me and he made like he would if I did certain things. He made reference to being 'with' very young girls, prostitutes, orgies, the list goes on and on, he spoke of his dead friends like nothing and said he didn't care if he died. He had a beautiful body and was the absolute most concieted person on the planet. Money, money money was all he spoke of. (He wasn't even that good) The last time that we met, he grabbed me and told me that he was not my friend and if he had to he would come back and kill me, he said he was not mine and made me feel disgusting about myself. He seemed to get intese pleasure from my agony. He also let a few 'real' aspects of his life slip out like he wanted me to know certain things. If I could write all of the crazy things down, it would take forever.
victim (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
I believe that I was the victim of a skinwalker. The story is long because I thought that I knew this person for a year and a half. I now know that he did not give me his real name, but I believe that he was reading my mind. I have done some research on these monsters. I had a sexual relationship with this person and it was abusive but gratifying for some strange reason. He 'took' everything from me and I gave freely for some strange reason... He told me to look at him. I locked eyes with him, which I have read is not a good thing. He seemed to know all the conversations that I had with other people when he wasn't around, he gave me an old ring which I have also read that it is not good to accept jewlrey from them. He told me when I first met him that he was jealous, I couln't understand why since I barely knew him and everything negative that I said to him, he got me back for tenfold. I read that they are all about revenge and jealousy. I believe that I went into a psycosis for a while which I am not totally out of after being with him. He referred to himself as animals, such as a cat and a bird, and said that he was not anyone's except his children. He spoke in riddles and pretended to be stupid and poor. In reality I think he is wealthy and very smart. He basically disappeared after the relationship hit a peak. I have tried to question him about it and all he says is that he loves me, but he has to do his "work". He did other strange things like urinate outside and let it hit my car, he spoke about all the women he was with, and he was extremely vulgar. He wore odd jewlrey and said crazy things. I am so shaken by this experience and cannot even tell people what I really believe about him, because they already think I'm crazy. Whenever I speak to him he tells me that I am crazy and then says to relax. He spoke of wanting to have a baby with me and then mentioned that he would take it. He made endless fun of me whenever I cried. I actually feel an emptiness inside of me now. He always spoke of living in the moment and that his mood was dependent upon his state of mind. He mentioned things that he knew about me which I don't even think I ever told him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
Hi Tracker337 I just wanted to tell you in some Native American legends, a skin-walker is a person with the supernatural ability to turn into any animal he or she desires. Similar lore can be found in cultures throughout the world and is often referred to as shapeshifting by anthropologists.
ewendels (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Me and my good Navajo friend have begun a documentary film on "Skinwalkers". We know their roots and their ancestry and I need to do some interviews with some who have first hand experience with them. If you would be interested please let me know.
LaPush (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
There have been countless stories about skinwalkers attacking a car or home trying to harm the people inside. A skin-walker is a legendary creature in the Navajo culture that's somewhat like a werewolf. The skin-walker is a shape-shifter, human at times, is said to have the ability to assume the figure of any animal they desire, hinging upon what kind of abilities they require at that moment. You are lucky to be alive. Http://www.quileutes.com/native-americanlegends/navajo-skinwalker.html The Navajo believe that skinwalkers have the power to steal the "skin" or body of a person. That if you engage eyes with a skinwalker they can immerse themselves into your body. Skinwalkers avoid bright light and their eyes glow like an animal's when in human form. When in their animal form their eyes don't glow as an animal's would.
Bloodless (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
I've heard of this a few times before, but almost exclusively on the SciFi channel.

To find somebody who has actually experienced it is truly nothing short of miraculous.

I'm really glad that you and your brother (and your dog) got home safe.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
Excuse me, again, Tracker. 😉

No problem, Surya. This is one of those instances in which the media of our time has meshed two...uh... Characters in our Way and "created" ONE creature out of two similar, but very different beings. They ARE very similar, save for INTENT. Which makes them vastly different.
If given a choice, I would face off with a shape shifter (there would not BE a face off, as they are in innocence) but would never even entertain the thought of going nose to chest with a skin walker.
Nope. No way.
To ME it is as of the similarities of and Angel and a Demon. There ARE similarities, but NOT in intent. The shape shifter would be compared to the Angel, and the skin walker to pure evil (as is a Demon), though they BOTH be human before and after the transformation.
Myth? No. These are real, and a little known ACCURATE "secret" of the Way.
Thank you!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
Hi Autumn, thank you for that, I will check it out, see I had no knowledge of Navoja until I was given this particular charm bracelet. I will send you a picture of it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Please excuse me again, Tracker.

Actually, no Surya, they are not the same. In my first comment to this story I "outlined" the differences. A Shape shifter is "good" and a Skin walker is "bad" majic.
For Media purposes, you are absolutely right. Outsiders for YEARS have been lumping the two types together, and it really IS like lumping apples and oranges in the same group.
An interesting note: During one particular war, there was actually a group of people (no, they were NOT all Native American) who were TRAINED in the art of skin walking to help out in the war (at the Presidio), according to William Cooper in his book "Behold a Pale Horse" (page 366) Their mission was called the "MindWar".
If you DO check that out, check out the insignia used... It is a common design used in Navajo pottery.
Thank you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: