You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hide And Seek

Real Ghost Stories

Hide And Seek

 

My name is Sakamoto and I will tell you something that happened to me when I was about four years of age. I have only recently been submitting this story to other sites and have been telling people about it ever since I learned that what I believed it was was insanely different from what I thought at the time.

When I was little, and only had one dog at the time, one of my parents would take him on a walk, and the other would stay home and play hide and seek with me. It was so I wouldn't get bored, and because the dog would always give away our hiding places.

One night in the late fall or early summer, at about 9:00, my dad was walking our dog and my mom was home playing hide and seek with me. After about four rounds, I was the one seeking. I counted to ten in the living room, facing the fire place. Only ten, because, I couldn't count very high at that age. I searched most of the house, which was very small, only one story and not too complicated, and when I couldn't find my mom, I decided to start from the beginning. I started at the fire place and checked behind the chair which was right next to it. I was about to give up when I turned around and looked into the entryway. The living room is right across from our entryway, and it connects a short hallway and the kitchen as well. I turned around a bit and saw what looked like a 3-D shadow, gray and black, silently, very silently, run from the hallway and into the kitchen.

Me being only four at the time thought that it was my mother. I followed it into the kitchen, and looked around there and the dining room, but didn't find my mother. Even though two of our hide and seek rules were 'never change places unless you want to be found,' and 'never hide in the garage or outside,' I checked the garage.

I never found her there, so I gave up. She called me from her room, where she was hiding behind the bed. The problem with this is, my parent's room is on the complete other side of the house that I saw the shadow running toward. I said 'Mom, I saw you run from the hall!' and she replied saying that she was there all along.

Now you probably are saying that it was probably my shadow. I wasn't running at the time, I was turning. The shadow was also way too tall to be mine.

Could my mom have been lying?

I never heard any footsteps. Also, isn't it a bit strange that I saw it run into the kitchen, saw nothing exit through the dining room into the garage, and heard nothing open?

At that point in my life, I didn't understand the concept of a ghost, so I never had a thought that it wasn't my mom. I was starting to suspect that it was a few years after.

Then I knew.

I finally told my mom what I had seen that night. When I told her, I was eleven. She looked at me like she believed everything. Then she told me. She told me that before I was born; my dad came home from work on two occasions very upset. Both those times, my mom had looked into the entryway and seen two shadow like figures, side by side. One was tall, and one was short. She told me that she believes that they were guardian angels, looking out for him in his time of need, trying to calm him down. I remember that that night, he had come home angry from being sprayed by a skunk.

I believe I saw the tall figure that night.

Other hauntings by wertona9

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wertona9, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Wertona9, these two sentences intrigued me: (quoting here:) "She told me that she believes that they were guardian angels, looking out for him in his time of need, trying to calm him down. I remember that that night, he had come home angry from being sprayed by a skunk."

I'm intrigued because your mom made a connection between the shadow people and your dad's anger.

My husband has been visited by shadow people throughout his life, and they have ALWAYS -- without fail -- been accompanied by feelings of extreme fear and anger. But my husband says that the shadow people evoke the fear and anger in him. When he sees them, he usually wakes suddenly with an overwhelming sense of fear; then he sees them and gets furious. He has lunged out of bed and tried to tackle them on occasion. (It would be funny, I suppose, except I'm usually asleep when it begins; and to be awoken from a sound sleep to my husband's war-whoop isn't particularly pleasant.)

Additionally, he says that they have appeared in his dreams as -- you're not going to believe this! -- dopplegangers. In one dream, the shadow person/doppleganger appeared to be his friend, Ben. But when he was conversing with "Dream Ben," my husband realized that the "Dream Ben" wasn't his friend, Ben. Again, he woke suddenly and -- you guessed it! -- saw a shadow person in the corner. He tried to open a can o' whoop azz on it, but the can opener broke, apparently, because the shadow person disappeared before my husband could touch him/it.

Just thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the story!

A.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
zoajet, I guess you missed that that is what I said, as well. No harm, no foul. I just will not ask for your reasoning's behind your opinions then.
Thanks.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
No I don't want to start a fight just like a good debate on differnt subjects depending on what the story about.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
I guess we are just going to agree to disagree then, zoajet. I can live with that. I was just trying to connect with your logic and the flavor of your responses here lately. I can clearly see that I will not be given the opportunity to find out your thought process. It was worth a try. I would like to point out, though, that just as you have a way of pointing out that you LIKE a discussion (in your former words, you used the word argument), I would keep that discussion on ONE page. Carrying it over to another and displacing names with "the site workers" does not change the discussion, only confuses the reader. Especially when you are talking with someone else, but hinting at the first person.
Believe it or not, some question to see what your opinions are, not merely to start a fight.
Autumn.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
whitebuffalo, if you looked closly I say they not always show as the veiwer form. And I can't stand shadow person, just doesn't seem right.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Hmm, yea, well not according to my research, zoajet.
In 1845, the doppelganger of Emilie Sagée presented itself to thirty children in a classroom. Their teacher returned shortly.
John Donne, the 16th century English poet, saw the doppelganger of his wife.
In 1622, Father Alonzo de Benavides was assigned to the Isolita Mission in what is now New Mexico. The Indians there were visited by the "lady in blue" who taught them.

So... If I get what you are saying, you would rather give an uninformed thought than research it and see what it could possibly be?
Why not just call it a shadow person?
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
whitebuffalo, not saying its always true but Doppelganger usally show up in the form of the person who is looking at it. Meaning if you saw it, 80% of the time it would look like yourself. So I really don't think it was a Doppelganger. I also don't think its a skin walker but until I know what it is for sure, I will call it a skin walker.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I sincerely doubt it was a Doppelganger, too, Patch. It is up for debate on whether or not they are evil, (as with just about everything in the Unknown) and they are not only seen by their mimic. There are many "well known" cases in which groups of people have been reported as sighting one.
My point was that stating this was a skin walker just seemed a bit far-fetched with the evidence provided. There is nothing to support it, nothing to even point to that thought process.
No need scaring people with laying out the worse case scenario and letting it fester in the mind of someone who would like to know what they experienced, and may still have questions about.
Shadow people are shadow people. They simply do not have the energy necessary to fully manifest themselves, so they come through as a sort of "static", or a shadow. This truly sounds like one of those cases.
Thank you.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I doubt it's a doppelgänger, aren't those mean to only be seen by the person they resemble? And I don't recall ever hearing of them being shadows. Then again you never know with these things.
It defiantly sounds like a shadow person to me.
Thanks for sharing you story Wertona.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
In THIS situation, zoajet?
Wouldn't a Doppelganger be a closer guess than that of a skin walker? This was a shadow that resembled the Mother, right?
What about a Doppelganger?
Thank you.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
ok well a skin walker I am talking about is a type of spirit that shapeshifes. Seeing only a shadow could mean it coul be anything really. So I just said the best explanation would be a skin walker.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
I saw shadow people when I was a kid but chalked it up to suggestion and imagination. When I had an encounter when I 17 I still thought it wasn't anything paranormal until later in years when I read about shadow people. Shadow people are not evil. They just can't fully manifest. If both you and your mother saw it you didn't imagine it. I only had that one encounter but I was fully awake, complete sober and not even talking of anything creepy. When somethink like that happens it stays with you because you know you just experienced something that wasn't quite right but you still try to rationalize it.
Necropolis_Seraph (6 stories) (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
Nice to know if they are really guardian angels, and not a spirit attached to your family. If they are not hurting you, then you might just let them be. 😊
DeanneGw (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
that must have been pretty scary, as you were young. I remember my first expirences...
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Excuse me, I am sorry. I see a comment that I HAVE to ask a question about.

Zoajet? I am just curious...
WHAT would cause you to think that this MAY have been a skin walker? Is it because of that separate story that was published on here lately?
A shadow person is still a mystery (as well as MANY of the beings/entities/energies that make up the wonderful world of the Unknown.) I would be VERY interested in knowing why you would stand on this thought.
I am lost. HOW could a shadow person have BEEN a Skin walker? There are no similarities, and there does not seem to be a direct connection.
Thank you.
etereo (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
what you saw when you where little wasn't a guardian angel, it was definitely shadow people. Read more about here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people
wertona9 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
BriFisher05- I stopped seeing them after a few years, but things still sometimes happen. I'm almost positive that it wasn't anything from outside, because our windows are blocked off by curtains, but I'll have to look into that.
Zoajet- A skin walker, like the (I think it was) native American legend? I live close to where some nomadic tribes used to come through, and I find arrowheads, so, I'll have to lean a bit (A LOT) more on that.
Bluegirl1516- I wasn't really scared because I barely knew anything about any kind of paranormal, and barley knew of any evil aside from T.V, so I don't think I was. When I heard my mom tell me what she saw, I got shivers 😉
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
Ah, those crazy shadow people. Being so young though - could it have been a shadow from a passing car or other object outside? Do you still see these shadow people?
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
I can't really help cause it was a shadow only. But best guess is that it may have been a skin walker
bluegirl0506 (3 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
This is a neat story! I have seen the same exact thing you have, a 3-D shadow creature. Did you remember feeling scared when you say the "shadow"?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: