You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: La Llorona

Real Ghost Stories

La Llorona

 

I have lived in New Mexico my entire lifetime, and never moved. As result of living in the center of the southwest, I have heard the story of 'La Llorona' multiple times, and in many different versions. I live very close to about two rivers, and when I was little, I heard a version of the story where she drowned her children in the river that I could easily walk to. I never thought that I would pay it much attention, never the less see her, hear her, and slightly see, but recently, all that changed.

I have three friends that are brother and sister to each other. It was summer of 2008, and we were having a sleepover. We had been planning this for about a month, and earlier in the day, we had bought all the food and other snacks we could imagine. We had planned to fire up the grill at make s'mores at about 8:00 and just sit outside and have a good time. At every sleepover we have, it seems that the Halloween decorations seem to get taken out of the closet a lot. This time, I randomly grabbed a plastic skull I carried with me at every one.

8:00 came around, and we made s'mores in the front yard. It was fun, seeing as I was the first, second, third and last to set mine on fire. We walked around barefoot on the driveway for a bit. I set the skull on the wall of our patio. After a bit, we sat in front of the door, talking silently. During a small moment of silence and nothing to say, we heard a moan come from up the hill. It sounded outside and very close but still far away. We ran inside, and in the haste, I nearly got shut out. We were all accounted for, and we ran into my room. When we heard it, it seemed like it was coming our way fast. We all believed it was La Llorona, but we shook it off as one of my neighbors trying to scare us. The two streets we lived on had ex- criminals and people with mental disorders everywhere.

I eventually noticed that I didn't have the plastic skull with me. About two or so hours later I walked through the dark hallway, switching on as many lights as possible right when I was in my entryway, I looked out the narrow window next to the front door. I saw what looked like a misty shape of a person hovering there. It looked kind of like a woman, but I couldn't tell very easily, it was all very light. I didn't stay to find out; I turned tail and ran back to my room. Right before I got to running half of the two feet into the hallway, I looked down a bit, and saw my plastic skull right next to the door.

I still am not sure if that really was La Llorona, but one of the friends at the sleepover, the older sister, had heard her once before, and the moaning sounded just the same.

The other sister with us was hearing bells for the rest of the night.

Other hauntings by wertona9

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wertona9, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Thedreamer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-12)
My dad told me that story when I was little it all ways us to scare me! He told me if I did not be a good girl she will get me!

❤ Selinda ❤
gothprincess149 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Wow that was scary! I've never heard of La Llorona before... Well maybe I did because her name sounds really familiar, I just forgot.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I've heard the story of La Llorona a lot. It's an interesting story.

So is yours:D Thanks for sharing ❤
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
well, this spirit would never harm any one but instead try to take you away to make them her kids. Just if you see her, never go near her.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I had heard so many time about la' llorna that woman is sick to drowned her children for her man. I hear it year ago.
KimA (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
I recently posted my story titled "The Vintage Steakhouse Ghost". Well the area where I was visiting is haunted, and the locals dub "her" as La Llorona or "The White Lady Ghost". If you go to my story and scroll all the way down and follow all the links, you'll see the ghost that was in my photos and an eerily similar painting on the train door that resembles the ghost in my picture. From what I gather, this ghost is spotted weeping and praying. Scary!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
WOW, that is scary. I have heard the story of La Llorona to. I though that was such a sad story.
GIRLIE 😭 😨 😭
Necropolis_Seraph (6 stories) (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
It's really frightening to hear things like this, especially crying or moaning. But is it possible that what you experienced is not the La Llorona but a different ghost/spirit?

From what I have read, most La Llorona would appear crying and looking for children near the river where they supposedly drowned them. I'm not sure if that's really the case or if I understood the stories right.

Anyhow, that's really creepy. You might want to think of another activity with your friends. Good luck! 😊
miss_j64 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
Wow! That is shocking. I have never heard the story of that, but now I want to. I'm going to look it up.
hauntedexpress (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Oh my god! I have found the mysterious woman at my window. (La Llorona translates "The Weeping Woman / The Wailer" featured also on the Pilot of Supernatural) In my recent post I describe a woman with scars on her face hovering outside my bedroom window. Did some research, it seems to be in the american region all the time and no reported sightings in Britain... Till now. I can truly sympathise with you.
wertona9 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Ah, I really should have said what the legend was. It is about a woman who had children and asked the father if she wanted to marry her, but they were the only things holding him back from this (In some versions, he only cared about their children) so she threw them in a river and died by either falling into the river, or drowning herself. Now she walks around, looking for her children.

Just for some clarification 😨
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
I have never heard of this legend but all cultures seem to have their version of it. I would say everyone was primed to see something because of atmosphere. I'm not saying it was all suggestion, but let's face it it's highly wrought with suggestion. It was a typical sleep over complete with scary stories and decorations. Maybe something was there. Should it happen again I would think you would recognize it.
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
I've heard of that story before too: o
If that were me, I wouldve gone outside to see what would happen xD
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
yea. No problem. But trust me some are not really good fate if you run into certain ones.
Saurian89 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Your right, zoajet. There are many
Unknown spirits on this earth that we don't
Know about. So thanks for telling me. 😐
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Saurian89, there are many things most never heard of. Only a few know what's the spirit princese of death name is. Skin walkers many didn't hear about. So there are proboly thousands of unknown spirits.
Saurian89 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
I have never heard of la Llorona before
In my entire life. But it sounds horrible
To me. 😐
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
There been rumors of it andthe werid thing is the most of the time I hear of it is when somone is having a sleep over.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
Friends of mine had a very similar experience while living in New Mexico. My sister in laws claimed to have seen & heard as well.

Thanks for a great story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: