You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Dunraven Drive

Real Ghost Stories

Dunraven Drive

 

When I was younger, and my middle sister was still sleeping in a crib, my mother and father moved us into a house with my grandparents in Colerain Township, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. The house was large, and beautiful with a huge backyard and a very large tree in the front of the house. Being a child at the time, I was in awe when we first moved in. It was the first house that I had ever lived in; coming from a poor family, we only ever lived in small apartments. We hadn't moved outside of my school district at the time, so there was no real trauma that could explain my experiences in that house, and nothing can explain my family's combined experiences.

Let me begin my story with the introduction of all the members of my family that lived in that house. My mother, my father, my younger sister (Gabby), my grandmother, grandfather, and my uncle David.

The first experience that I personally remember was the sudden illness of my younger sister, Gabby. As I said before, she was still in diapers. Within a week of moving into this house, she grew very ill. It was distressing, as I shared a room with her, and she would cry non-stop all day and all night long. The poor child never slept, and when she did, it was not for long. My family has always been very religious, raising us kids in church every Sunday, and always teaching us to love the Lord and to live our lives for him. We had many pictures of Jesus around our house, as well as crosses and other various Christian symbols. Even so, they were no such form of protection for what was about to happen to our family. And none of us would ever be the same afterwards.

One evening, before my mother had fallen asleep, she was sitting in her bed with my father, who HAD fallen asleep. She was reading her bible. She closed to book, and glanced toward the floor. She was obviously stressed out over the fact that my younger sister, her baby (at the time), has had no breakthroughs in her illness. No doctor could figure out what was plaguing the child, and my mother was growing more noticeably helpless everyday. I could tell that she was very sad, and so could everyone else around her. So she began to pray her nightly prayers, and I can remember that during this time, she had been saying, "Dear God, please cast out the spirit of sickness from my child, and make her healthy again..." I assume that her prayers remained the same this night, as they had been for many months. As she was saying these prayers for my baby sister, she heard a noise that made her look up, but not cease in her praying. She looked down the hallway, towards our room (mine and my sister's). At this point, I was awoken by the sound of our door creaking. I promptly turned over, thinking it was my mother, not wanting to get into trouble for being awake. As the door creaked open, I heard slow footsteps, and I giggled to myself, again, thinking that this was my mother checking on us, trying not to wake us up. (From this point in the story, it is my mother's experience, but she has told me about it so many times, I can recall in as my own.)

As my mother stared down the hallway, praying for God to cast out the spirit of sickness from my sister, something very large moved slowly out of our doorway and into the hall. She could not believe her eyes, and tried to smack my father to awaken him, but he didn't even roll over. As this thing came into her full view, my mother realized this was no human. Her nostrils were overloaded with an overwhelming smell of rotting meat. Whatever this thing was that she saw (we believe that it was a demon) moved around to face her. It stood up to its full height, as my mother remembers; it was tall enough for its head to brush the ceiling. Its eyes were flashing and bright; red eyes. She describes this "demon" as having pieces of its flesh hanging off. It began walking towards the front door, very slowly, but still staring my mother directly in the eyes. She prayed softly, no noise escaping her lips. As the "demon" neared the front door, it laughed at my mother. Its voice was deep and not of this world. And as suddenly as it had come out of our room, the "demon" opened our front door of our house, and left.

My mother, being scared out of her mind, ran into our room and awoke both me and my sister, and we slept in her room with her and my father for nearly a month afterwards. She told my father, and he did not believe her at all. When she told my grandparents, my grandma got a very concerned look on her face. She called the pastor that ran the church that we attended. Being a kind man, he agreed to come and bless our house. My sister and I were sent to stay with my aunt while the priest was there, so I'm not quite sure what happened, and my family has never told me. All I know for sure is, the blessing not only didn't work on the entities that possessed our home, but it angered them severely.

Part II will come shortly. Thank you for reading, and I hope that no one thinks that we are crazy. When I can work out exactly how to put the many experiences I have had into words, I will post more.

Other hauntings by Jessica_Rabbit

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jessica_Rabbit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

star78 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-20)
hi I just kind of stumbled apon this site I was looking for the listing of a house on dunraven I previously saw an I couldn't find it so I just googled the street name an I found your add I surposed to look at a house on dunraven on sunday in 2days an I wanted to know if you remember the address of where this was experienced I'd really appreciate it I have 4children an after readin this I'm very curious...😲
EpiphoneMariachi (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Hi there.

This is a very frightening story. Thank you for posting this.

The description of the demon is rather disturbing, but also interesting. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind describing the thing's face for me? I apologize... I tend to be annoyingly curious.

Sorry! ^^;
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
i thought that it was an extremely smart move to call the priest, I might think because I am catholic. But I think that you should fill the house with crosses, holy water, things that will scare the demon away. I can honestly say that I hope you never see that awful creature again!

❤ may you and your family be save! ❤
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I agree with most here, it defiantly sounds demonish.
I guessed it's all better now or you've moved, please share the rest of the story, I want to hear it.

Thanks for sharing ❤
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
From reading the posts I gather everything is okay with your family today. My thought is this: there are many stories out there about people tormented for years before receiving relief, reasons y persons are chosen for demonic harassment or possession can range from simplistic to very complicated. Several factors which may b for your prolonged torment are, the priest himself may not be very good at exorcisms (not all priests make good exorcists), the person or family tormented my not keep up in there Dailey Christian practices (especially when things seem to get better or even when they get worse after prayer, just to have some relief the person/family stops praying for a while) or may not want help (of course this doesn't sound like it in this case), or sometimes God allows evil in our lives even with the seemingly most pious individuals (look at the story of Job). It also sounded like your father was not completely on board at least in the beginning, strength and support is needed by the whole family. We are not without sin therefore evil can grab a foot hold of our lives. Evil wants nothing more than to destroy us through fear, doubt, and helplessness among others, to make us feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, this is y we must stay strong in our faith and not give up. For extreme cases fasting, prayer and deliverance (exorcism) may be needed. I look forward to your next story and I hope everything is now okay. God Bless.
voodoochile (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
Interesting story I want to hear the rest of it. But I am kind of confused. I thought that when you prayed, demons and spirits just vanished? I heard that pleading the blood of Jesus works.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Pardon me, please, Jessica -- but I'm very curious about something Tonith mentioned:

Tonith, if you don't believe in demons, is it fair to say that you don't believe in angels, either? Do you believe in "ghosts?" (I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm genuinely curious.) If so, what are they (in your opinion)?

I understand that this post is probably going to be erased by THE EDITING POWERS THAT CENSOR COMMENTS, so if you're willing, Tonith, would you put a little note for me in your bio? Or e-mail me? (My e-mail is in my profile page.) I would appreciate it. You'll be giving me some insight into a perspective I don't really understand.

Thanks.

A.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Something may have been there but don't know if it was an evil human soul or what you call a demon. I have heard that with even with blessings many times it gets worse before it gets better. I don't know what to make of the whole demon thing but I would assume one would have to be religious to think of demons to begin with. I know they are mentioned in the bible but I consider that to be a metaphor for the absence of good not some terror filled creature of dante's inferno. Could it have been a soul that was not very nice in life and is the same in death? I think that is more likely than a demon. Being that I have never had any experience with such things I know my knowledge is limited. I know many people believe in such beings.
Jessica_Rabbit (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Ah, you see, I know now that to show things of this nature fear is inviting them to terrorize you.

Yes, my family is all alive and well today, and you'll be glad to know that my sister that was sick in the story goes to the doctor maybe once a year for a physical, and never misses a day of school. She's as healthy as a horse, as they say.

And I truly appreciate the comment about the story being well-written. If I had gone to college, I probably would have went to be an English teacher, but I chose to live the office life, and here I am.:]
Christa (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
thanks for sharing your story, Got so many questions, hope part II will answer them.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Oh wow, that's insane! I'm agreeing with everyone else that what your family experienced is definitely a demon. I've read a lot of stories and watched a lot of true haunted shows on tv (A Haunting and such things as that) and they've showed stuff about demons. I don't think just blessing this house would have any impact (and you said it didn't) so I would call in a priest and have a full-blown exorcism done and pray that helps. I wish you the best of luck!
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
For you to be talking about it today tells me your family survived the ordeal. Thank you for sharing because I am sure there is people out there that have experienced or are experiencing the same thing. We were raised Catholic. One of the things my mother always taught us is to always have your house blessed before moving into it. You have better chances of knowing what you are in for if there is anything there.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I agree. Fear is the key for gratness and the key for lonlyness. Fear works both ways.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
There's a fine line, Zoajet, between "not showing fear" and arrogance. If you are arrogant (assured of your own perceived "power"), you're asking for a spiritual smackdown.

The crux of Jessica's story is the fact that her mother relied on help from a higher power and she was persistent (presumably, until her faith became stronger).

It's natural to be fearful. Sometimes fear is a reflex mechanism that keeps us alive. It's what you choose to DO with that fear that determines the course of your life. Will you overrule your fear? Or will fear rule over you?

Blessings,
A.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
That sounds like a demon. Hope its not a strong one too. Try an exorcism and see if it happens again. By the way, angelfeathers, I read your bio and you forgot somthing when dealing with demons. NEVER SHOW THE YOUR FEAR.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Yes, it does, indeed, sound like a demon. This must have been a terrifying experience for your mom, and I'm not surprised that this isn't the end of your story. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

If you're interested in my own "take" on demonology, please click on my user name and read my bio. I've left some info there.

Thanks for sharing your (well-written!) story with us.

Blessings to you and yours,
A.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: