You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lost In Yosemite

Real Ghost Stories

Lost In Yosemite

 

After reading the recently posted hiker story it inspired me to finally post this.

I was asleep. There was a man talking to me, remember Det. Sgt. Yemana from the 70's TV show Barney Miller? A hospitable character who I guess imprinted on my brain as a young child while my parents took in their weekly boob tube fix. Cool, so why was he talking to me? This alerted my consciousness which often happens when something not quite random slips into a dream. As I slept I became aware of a figure behind him and as his image dissipated it revealed the actual entity trying to communicate with me. I was immediately freaked at what I saw and in panic forced myself to wake up. As I came back to full consciousness I was still completely anxious, especially since my body was in that you-aren't-really-awake-yet-immobile state. I wanted to get away as quickly as possible and when I was able, finally shot up and felt around to turn on the nearest lamp.

I was a bit disoriented as this was not at home. My husband and I were staying at the Yosemite Lodge and had just survived a treacherously beautiful hike up the falls that day. We went straight up to the top to be greeted by graceful snowfall and a scattering of particularly social chipmunks.

So the light is on and I can still see it. I mean her. If I came across her in waking life I still would have been that scared. Not only was it her visage but also the emotional state she was emanating. She was freaked out also but I was too scared to pick up on anything outside her desperation to latch on to me. What I saw was a young woman with long dark hair in a yellow rain jacket and she was drenched to the bone. In fact, I intuited she had drowned because of the waterlogged, discolored nature of her very dead body. Not a pleasant sight at any time of the day or night. I sat on the bed, picked up the newspaper and began reading cover-to-cover to distract myself. I felt her surrounding me, trying to get back to our prior rapport before I actually saw her. It was about an hour when I just started telling her to "go away!" which seemed to do the trick. (All this without waking my husband.) At the time I thought there was nothing I could do for her.

That situation really traumatized me. For months my normal receptiveness to the entities of my old house were null which had only developed very trepidatiously over many years. I only told my husband what had happened. About six months later I received a phone call from my good friend "Bob". He on occasion has very intense visitations in his dreams that are always interesting to hear and so he called to share some new memories. After an odd mix of entertaining and often nonsensical endeavors he said he had a message specifically for me. "Jennifer says she is sorry." He described the woman from Yosemite with the exception that he thought she died from exposure. He relayed that she had not meant to scare me just saw an opportunity to communicate and voraciously pursued. Besides the previous description we both agree she was probably at least part-Asian or Native American and could have been anywhere between 15 and 35 years old. So we are wondering if anyone knew her before these events either living or dead because she may still be out there (somewhere) trying to resolve her situation.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lavender, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Wait just a minute!
"They sold their souls for music"?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
You jump in, yell to no one in particular...
And THAT's what you choose to say?
Well, you are just a whole special kind of stupid, aren't you?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Yo!
Bible boy! It's Sunday, aren't you supposed to be somewhere?
Give it a rest, will ya?

Jav
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Not singling you out Moongrim! Just wondered at your outburst on a comment on an old post? (As strange & inappropriate as the post seemed!)
Just wondered what 'got up your nose', not picking a fight! 😉
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Fergie- I'm onto ding dongs.

I don't see you getting onto JesusSlaves inappropriate rantings.

So why are you singling me out?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Moongrim, are you 'on to something' or on something?
Some posters may take offence! Or are you past caring? 😕
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Yo, Jesus Slaves...

If God's Gift is Eternal Life, then why are so many Christians filling up cemetaries?

Oh wait, you gotta die first before you get your reward eh?

Upon which you'll find out that your "reward" was for following the wrong religion.
Lavender (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Hi elpe12 & angelfeathers,

Thank you for posting the links with possible connections. I really don't know. None of them "feel" like her but it was pretty traumatic for me so I may not really know. I will try to get Bob's input when I can (but he is pretty hard to pin down).

Elpe12: I remember that first case, just north of me in Eureka. It was big news around here. I will see if anything comes to me later in regards to all these people. Sometimes it takes a little subconscious rumination.
elpe12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
I also searched for anything with a connection between the name Jennifer and Yosemite National Park and did not find anything.

The closest name I have found is Julie, who was sixteen at the time she died. Her father's name is Jens. Julie had dark hair. She, her brother, and mother went missing in 1999.
Http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20127794,00.html

I also just found a runaway woman from Reno, Nevada. It's possible she may have made it to Yosemite. Her name is Jennifer and has dark hair.
Http://www.nampn.org/cases/casper-ross_jennifer.html

These are the only things I found to be in the time frame you specified. I hope they help.
luver5443 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
like it is soooo freaky I'm shakin' in my boots. Hehe. 😨 this story is one of the scariest for all my friends in tenessee.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Wow, this is a really interesting story. Very sad, but really intreaguing. I have friends who have hiked yosemite and they all felt a little uncomfortable in the cabins also, maybe it's partly the land as well?
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Angelfeathers: Wow, that's really interesting.

OP: I really hope you can find out if it's her or not, it seems to fit the missing person picture that angelfeathers posted.
You can close your mind towards the paranormal, block it out, I've managed to close and open it.

Good Luck ❤ Thanks for sharing your story.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Lavender, my journalistic instincts went into overdrive when I read your story, and I decided to do a little research.

I couldn't find anything on Yosemite drowning deaths or climbing deaths that linked to the name "Jennifer." Then I had a rather sad idea. I wondered if perhaps Jennifer met with a violent end and her body has been concealed in the park. Could explain her unrest -- and the bad decomposition of her remains. Anyway, here's a link to her webpage on a "missing person"'s website:

Http://www.nampn.org/cases/wilson_jennifer.html

By the way, this really opened my eyes about how many people go missing in this world. Please be careful out there, everyone! Bad stuff happens way too often.

A.
Lavender (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I will try to answer some of your queries:

Mgtor-I was totally freaked out! The last thing on my mind was helping a spirit, I just wanted to get away. I still have trouble being calm in those situations, though I am OK if the energy is completely benign. Hard to tell when you are woken from sleep what to think.

Angelfeathers-I will have to think about what year that was. It was March in Yosemite, snowing at the top of the falls. I am guessing 4 to 6 years ago but will confirm that later. The timeline may fit but Canyon County is down by L.A., right? Quite a ways from Yosemite (unless something quite fishy happened to her...)

I am not sure about Jennifer's ethnicity, she was really disfigured from either exposure or submersion. That was a guess based on my projection (or hers?) of Det. Yemana. I think a picture might be helpful, perhaps Bob or I would recognize her still?
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
I really liked your description
"you-aren't-really-awake-yet-immobile state"
A lot of people confuse that with being helddown by an entity. Good story, very fascinating.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Lavender, a couple of questions: (1) When did this visitation from "Jennifer" occur? (2) Are you certain she part-Asian or Native American?

Doing a little detective work, I came upon a missing person named "Jennifer" who disappeared in "Canyon Country, California" in 2004. She isn't Asian or Native American, but she does have long, black hair. If the timeline seems to fit, I will post a link to a website where you can find her photo.

A.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
On the upside, good story. On the downside, what a terribly sad spirit. She must have been very lonely, scared and needing help. Hopefully she gets it someday.
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
You obviously have a gift to be able to connect with the dead. Were you scared? You mentioned she looked desperate to communicate with you. Why did you not ask her what she needed you to do to help her go to the light? Good story it just makes me sad that this lost spirit is desperatly reaching out for help and has found none. May her soal rest in piece soon.
Dantheman (7 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
*sniffle* that was a really sad spirit. I almost cried. But on a more serious note good story
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
sounds like another sad spirit. She may have needed help from people buy most of the time didn't know how to.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: