You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House Buyers Beware

Real Ghost Stories

House Buyers Beware

 

I have never believed in the supernatural until my mother had purchased a 108 year old Victorian mansion. Once the papers were signed my two older sisters (24, and 25 at the time) were eager to move in, so they got the key from my mother and headed over to start painting their rooms. In the midst of painting they heard footsteps running up and down the second staircase that lead into the kitchen. They ran down the main stair case out of the house and onto the front porch. My oldest sister called my mom frantically panicking that there is somebody in the house. While my oldest sister was flipping out on the phone my middle sister (who was the bravest out of the two) was scoping out the house looking for a thief. She found nothing. I was on the couch next to my mother who was trying to calm my sister down from the whole event. That was just one of several we have experienced.

A month later I had two friends over for a sleep over. We were up until around 2am eating cookies and watching old episodes of Pepper Ann. That's when my friend heard a stomping noise down the main stairs. Now we were in one of the two living rooms which was no more than a few feet from the main stair case. My friend muted the TV and put her finger to her lips to signal silence. All three of us heard the noise. I thought it was my sister who was doing it to scare us. So I ran towards the main stair case. The stomping stopped, and I saw nobody. So I ran through the dining room into the kitchen and up the back stairs still nobody. Determined I looked into both of my sisters rooms and they were fast asleep. I told my mother about the experience and she blamed it on a sugar high.

Right around January the next year was when they picked up again. I was a freshman in high school and we hadn't had any ghostly issues since May when my two friends were over. My mother had a week off from work and she was busy doing renovations in our attic making it into a third floor. My mother has this old cabinet from my great-grandmother who died in 2000. The cabinet has two glass doors that are really hard to open. The cabinet is only used for display purposes (as in showing off my mothers toy crafts) during the week she was off and my sisters were at work/college and I was in school, those doors kept opening and hung wide open. She thought she was going crazy and just shut the doors, figuring she might have left them open. This kept repeating until she went back to work.

During the summer of my freshman year, my step-dad was doing some renovating in the basement (trying to put up insulation so the floors aren't so cold in the winter) every time I would let my dogs out to go to the bathroom; I would see the basement lights on. (Not just one, all seven of them) I went downstairs thinking my step-dad was too tired to realize they were on and turned them off. After seven or eight days of having to turn the lights off I told him to start turning them off himself. When he said he did, I started to get a little creeped out. During the talk me and my step-dad had he told me that his stapler and staples kept moving when he was down there. He thought it was just his imagination, but with the lights turning on by themselves we started to think we are being haunted.

Now one of my sisters have moved out, the middle has a two year old son and the attic renovated, and me wanting to get my own floor away from the craziness, I asked my mother to make the non-used half of the attic my bedroom. She agreed because my middle sister and I don't get along very well. But when we started putting up my bedroom walls creepy stuff started happening, mainly to me.

During the night I would walk up to the third floor and watch DVDs. While I was watching Veronica Mars episodes, I would pause the DVD and go down stairs to get a drink. No more then three minutes would pass until I walked back up stairs. When I went to click play, the DVD was flipped upside down on the TV stand, TV off, and DVD player was off. Me thinking I was going looney I turned everything on and continued watching. This happened to me three more times that night. During my pee, and snack breaks I would arrive back up to a DVD turned upside down, TV off, and DVD player off. Freaking out mentally I turned the light off, ran down stairs into my bedroom.

A few days later my bedroom construction was down and I was painting it lime green. My two year old nephew was pestering me to play with him so I took him down stairs to play ball. (Yes in the house, it's a big house) Well he kicked the ball into the foyer near the radiator. I went to fetch it when I saw his plastic three wheeler peddle itself off the wool carpet onto the wood floor. The bikes handle bars turned towards me and stopped. I screamed bloody murder and ran into the kitchen with my nephew following suit. (That bike was fully onto the wool carpet, and there is no unevenness where I was standing. And it wasn't my nephew who pushed the bike because he was near the front doors four feet away from the bike when it peddled by itself towards me) My middle sister ran down to check on me, I was shaking, and she said I lost my tan.

Now, my bedroom is in the attic, nothing creepy happens up there when I'm up there. But the lights in the basement turn on. Nobody has been down there for a few weeks and I'm the one who has to turn them off. The lights are on one at a time, and each time it's in the different part of the basement.

This week I refused to go down in the basement anymore. And the lights that I see in one spot turn off and are in a different spot the next day. I see the lights on through the small basement windows. My mother did some research a few months back about the house.

We are the fifth people to own it, before us was a young couple who just moved out of the house because they couldn't keep up with it. The one before that had the downstairs as a doctor's office. Ones before that were the kids of the owner who built it. All we know is that the wife died a few years after the house was built. We didn't find out why, we just concluded old age.

I'm sorry this was so long but I figured I might as well keep it together. I bought a silver cross and it hangs above my room door. So far no spirits tried to harm us, more like just annoy or scare us.

If you have any advice, please state it. Thanks.

Other hauntings by Mercury_Lyn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mercury_Lyn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

hmbeck09 (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-03)
I lived in a large victorian and had many of the same experiences!
Lisa3007 (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Hi,

Would you and your family be interested in sharing your story on a paranormal investigation TV show? I'm a producer and we're looking for more cases. If you're interested, please contact me to my email that is located on my account. Thanks.
miss_amos (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
May. 1996 I agree an yeh anyone hav msn addd me I'd lov chatting sometime about this stuff Yu guys don't seem mind talking about it lol seeems we all inerrezted in scary shiat iv never seeen a ghost personally lol
May1996 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-04)
I get random things like that happen to me but your house to me seems full of it! Keep us posted with your stories I'm really intersted
Mercury_Lyn (5 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
The spirit has been getting worse. Ever since my two friends and I had used a oujia board (I know it was stupid) I would post the story on here when they let us.
Musey85 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-05)
Welllll it sounds like a poltergeist to me...mischievous, moves things around, etc etc. Trying to get your attention - and it has! What I would like to know is...do you want this gone? You asked for advice, but about what? Are you really terrified of this spirit, or do you not mind these things? From what you told me, it does not sound malicious or mean in any way, just kind of rascally. 😜
Mercury_Lyn (5 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Thanks for all the advice. Towards Ivy, my nephiew just looked at the bike and smiled. I didn't think into it until you said something
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
well with regards to the DVD, at first I think it hates you when you are staying up disturbing them, and watching DVD for long time. Or maybe that entity wants you to go to sleep and rest. Because when you said later on that you make your attic as finally your room and its quite ok and nothing strange occurs. Just the basement is kind of creepy. Do you think the doctor is still there, haunting or maybe trying to do its research... And keep on moving your step dad's staples and stapler as it disturb its research study, I don't know. Just a thought.

As for the bicycle, it's really creepy to move on by itself. Curious question, how's your nephew reacts to it? They say kids have a more sensitive relationship towards entitites...

And its quite interesting to know that a lot of people live there in quite sometime.

Keep on researching the history of your house for more details.
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
I agree it doesn't sound harmful, but almost like a prankster, maybe even earthbound spirit (s) of a child. I have read about several reasons for earthbound haunting. The person (s) don't realize they are dead, scared to go into the light, or unfinished business and they may have a message. You could try to get an EVP by using a tape recorder asking questions and then replaying the tape. Or you could consult a local paranormal society to come out and help you (some use and consult psychics or sensitives to find out why the spirits are there and help the spirits "go into the light"). Or you could just consult a priest. Good luck and God bless
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Sounds like from the beginning things were happening. Most of it sounds like residual haunting until you get to the part where your things are being tampered with. They say spirits are attracted to people with a lot of energy like teens and young adults. There were 3 of you girls living there so I'm sure they was enough female energy to thrive on. I don't think it's anything to be worried about just something that may not like being disturbed and is showing it.
benn (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
Very interesting story, well described. It sounds similar to the haunting I experienced in my Dads pub, nothing malicious just unnerving. I was thinking about the part when you would go back to your DVD's and everything would be off with the DVD out. Maybe a ghost was telling you not to be up there as you were disturbing it. Thanks for sharing:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: