You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Apartment Entity & The Stench Of Poop

Real Ghost Stories

The Apartment Entity & The Stench Of Poop

 

This is a personal account which happened in the late 1970's, maybe 80-81. At the time I was working to increase my sensitivity to spirits by meditation. I had developed enough sensitivity to "Detect through feeling", sometimes see or hear them. Most of my experiences were pleasant and peaceful. This one was not.

Five of us young adults rented a house together. I became friends with one of my roommate's friends. His name was Eric and I remember him showing me his apartment one afternoon.

We walked into the front door of the large building and smelled something terrible as soon as we opened the stairwell door. It smelled like human poop. It was strong and pungent. I said something like "Get a lot of vagrants here?" thinking somebody made a pie under the stairs or something. He explained the building was an old hospital converted to apartments with smells here and there. Cheap rent for a decent pad.

We entered his apartment and it's basically one room with a bathroom on the side maybe 12 feet wide and 20ish feet long. There are two windows on the far end maybe 2 feet wide that span almost floor to ceiling. He has one comfy chair, a bed in the corner and a kitchen on the other side. We talked a while then said goodbye.

I remember the next time I visited the smell in the stairwell had gone. Guess they cleaned what ever it was. I visited again sometime later and the same smell had returned, but down one of the halls. Really odd I thought.

I believed the house me and my roommates lived in was haunted. I have an account about the place. Eric was also semi-sensitive to spirits. He said he could "Feel" their presence but not sure if it was just imagination. If there were any spirits, he felt definitely in an old hospital and wanted us to go there to "See what is there".

So we went to his apartment that evening. I did not smell the odor anywhere as we arrived inside his apartment. I pulled up his comfy chair halfway in the room and faced the windows. He sat on the floor and turned off the lights. I was trying to be as sensitive as possible when I noticed an outline or silhouette of something rising outside of both windows. Whether it was one huge thing or more than one I couldn't tell. It seemed to radiate a blue light similar to a black light. I just watched what ever it was slowly rise outside the window. I had the impression I was looking at a huge chest of something.

"Can you tell anything outside your windows" I asked. "Not sure" was his reply.

The image suddenly picked up speed and whisked upward and was gone. I know this sounds really corny but I promise it's what I saw. A solid black "being" rapidly descended from between the windows from above near the ceiling and landed right in front of us. It landed in kind of an old "Batman" offensive stance. My friend Eric jumped a little- like when suddenly startled as it quickly descended so I don't think it was just me. I looked at him and he looked at me saying "What was that". I looked back and it wasn't there anymore. It had encircled us, above us and around us. It was everywhere and radiating waves of terror. I knew never to allow these kinds of attacks to inflict fear, as it only makes them stronger. My friend Eric was not doing so well clearly by his expression. I was unprepared for that situation and knew we had to leave there and find out what to do.

I opened his apartment door and right on the other side- a strong overwhelming stench of poop.

We left his apartment building and went across the street to a fast food market and I decided to call a psychic friend of mine called Robin, "Bird for short". I hadn't talked to Bird in a couple months and dialed her number. This is exactly how it went when she answered:

"Hi Bird, this is (Sergeant) " Right away she answered in an anxious, angry voice:

"What have you been F***ing with?" She already knew we had done something without even telling her. I explained and asked for her help. She said we were messing with something too much for her to handle. It wasn't safe for her to get involved but for us to come over and see her. All the way there I was trying to convert Eric's fear to anger toward it with little success. We arrived to see Bird and again refused to intervene but gave us a small stone cross with instructions to return to the apartment, both hold the cross and DEMAND it leave.

I again tried to convert Eric's fear to anger on the way back. "Come on, get pissed! This thing is in your personal space so get mad, really mad!" I told him.

We arrived at his apartment with the stench still outside his door and the negative inside. We did as Bird suggested, Eric got visibly angry, almost rage toward it. It left. The smell outside his doorway seemed to move into the stairway maybe 50 feet away.

Eric spent as little time afterward in his apartment and slept elsewhere when possible. He didn't renew his lease and moved out when it had expired. I don't recall if anything further happened after that evening.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Sergeant

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sergeant, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi like your story a lot. I don't really have any advice though
devildogx (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-16)
I know this is an old post, just like the last poster said. Lately I have been getting a scent of dog poop in my basement near where I sleep. The scent comes and goes and it drives me nuts. I freely admit I have 3 dogs, but all three go outside and I have been looking for the source to no avail. Like I said, I get a whiff of it, and start looking and the next thing I know, the odor is gone. With all of the other things happening to me lately I am beginning to wonder if this is part of it. I only smell it within a small ten foot radius. Even one of my dogs began acting peculiar and started vigorously sniffing the air for nearly a minute. But there was nothing in front of her. I figure as a dog, she could pin point the direction and location, but there is nothing there.
Phobic1981 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-03)
I know this is an old post but it freaked me out. As others have mentioned, the odor of human excrement is widely believed to be a sign of demonic activity. So glad that you faced it down successfully.
miso_curious (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
that's awesome that you got rid of the thing, and kudos to you for being brave when being faced with the entity, that's not easy!
Trudy (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Dear Sergent,

I don't have your e-mail that is why I'm commenting here. You said that you devoted yourself to Christ. Well then you know how to deal with spirits. Read Ephesians 6:10-18 and test the spirits according to 1 John 4:1-4. I'm not too sure about the reference in 1 John. I just know that testing the spirits is in 1 John. Any entity that does not pass the test needs to leave you alone.
Trudy (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-22)
The smell of poop, rotting flesh, and sulfur is a sign of a demon. Growling sounds and if a person gets scratched are also signs of a demon.
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
I think that ghost wanted to drive you out, so that's why it smelled like poop.
Sergeant (3 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Hi
The building was made of poured concrete and cinder block. I'd guess built in the 1960's. It was in the Minneapolis city limits. It was carpeted and carpet can definetly retain odors.

So was that odor an entity? I honestly don't know. It was odd the way it seemed to move around.

About pursuing my psychic ability:
The three accounts I posted were the scariest/worst of my experience from about 1978-1982. I enjoy reading others scary accounts and so they are.
I am or was sensitive to spirits but I'm definetly not "Psychic".

In that period I developed OBE well enough to be fairly reliable and met many positive or neutral spirits. I've forgotten almost all of those less exciting accounts as it was just so long ago.
Sometimes I'd come across negative things like this unexpectedly from time to time and it became somewhat of a burden. I didn't know about basic protection- not even about hardening the aura so I guess I attracted some attention.

I gave my life to Christ and dove into Christianity in 1982. All of these kinds of things stopped. It was shut off by my spirituality (God, if you will) and personal will to do so. Although I'm not nearly as devoted into Christianity like I was my first 3-4 years of conversion, I have no desire to get back into it.

However two spirits remained with me since then, even today. They say they've been with me since before that period but I can't be sure. They made themselves known last summer in a most extraordinary way. Hey have a one track mind about something and they're neither good nor evil.

They invoke OBE from time to time but I don't feel compelled to "mess" with things on my own like I used to.

I hope to write my final account and it will be about these two spirits but I just need to find the right approach.
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
you smells human poop? And you said it is an hospital turned into a residence apartment? Well, isn't it that the human poop as they die, realeasing something chemical within that signals its getaway, that's what's my teacher once told me. Well, maybe this black figures is one of the patient who pass away and tends to live in there (a residual ghost). Maybe waiting for its visitor to come or somthing that person needs to do. Or maybe that person have alreasy outlive his life to that place. But after your friend eric left and didn't renew his lease, I just wonder what's the next tenant experiences? Maybe it's clear already as you force the entity to leave or it came back as eric left.
Have a helthy place to live.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
There's a lot of reasons for an old building that was once a hospital to retain some of it's smells. If the place had wooden floors its very possible all it took was a draft to spread the smell that may be in the floors. Of course that doesn't account for the black massive form you both saw. Whatever it was, used smell to disgust it's visitors and when that wasn't enough it decided to manifest. You were sensitive enough to pick up on it and knew where to go for help. Claiming your own space with authority seems to work most of the time from what I have read. If all this stopped when your friend moved out then the place was haunted and not him. Would be interesting to know if the next tennants had problems.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: