You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Watching

Real Ghost Stories

Watching

 

I can hardly think of what to entitle this story, and I must firstly begin by saying I have never really been one to 'believe in ghosts'.

However, from a very young age I have always been quite scared and managed to freak myself out and now I can relate to my childhood experiences with some recent events.

When I was younger, about 7 or 8, I used to think someone was watching me every time I went to bed. It was just a strange feeling, and being such a young child then, I have always thought I was just being silly. But this feeling made me petrified; I would be scared of the dark and silence, and for no real reason.

As I have grown up in my house, in England, my room has been situated right beside my next door neighbor's stairway; so I would excuse any strange noises for them running up the stairs. Yet, I have always heard footsteps and creaking. Again, as a child, this would scare me... A lot!

It occurs to me now that I have grown accustom to these strange noises and feelings, but very lately, very weird and unexplained things have happened. One night, a few weeks ago, I came home rather late and very quietly opened my front door, careful not to wake my mother or sister. As I stood in my hallway, I heard whispering and obviously assumed this was my mother and sister in the living room. With a smile on my face, I opened the living room door to greet them. It was pitch black and silent. The whispering had stopped. Now, I remember hearing very similar voices/talking when I was younger and again passed it of as my family.

Just two days ago, I was taking a shower when something else very strange happened. As a child, I didn't like getting in the shower as you clearly can't see or hear as well, and I used to convince myself someone was with me; no idea why. Anyway, the other day my sister walked in as I was showering just to wash her hands, she left and I continued. When I stopped the shower, I reached for my towel and suddenly heard something.

I turned around and saw the tap on full. Turning it off, I yelled at my sister for leaving it on to which she responded she had definetly turned it off. At first, I didn't believe her but then I realized I hadn't heard the tap running until I had my back to the sink. The same night, I, my mother and my sister were watching TV when I turned around and rather abruptly said 'pardon?' They looked at me as if I was insane, 'we didn't say anything!' they responded. I burst out laughing, not quite sure why. I had definitely heard a loud and rushed conversation but didn't quite hear it all, hence asking 'pardon?' It was very strange, and all that night I had that feeling that someone was watching me.

I have never been able to work out if it is just me being silly and paranoid or whether someone really is in my house with us. All I can think of is that my grandmother had died a few months before I was born; maybe it is her watching me? That is a nice thought, but these experiences and feelings really do set my heart racing; they are frightening. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mia_44, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ai1265 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
I would attribute it to being jumpy and skittish by nature. I'm not saying nothing of this is supernatural, but it sure doesn't have to be.

I've always been jumpy all my life; easily scared, convinced something is staring at me as soon as I'm not looking. The feeling you describe about being in the shower or being left alone... I feel the exact same way. I'm male, 23, and broad-shouldered with pretty powerful build. I can take down most people in a fight just by pure natural strength; but for some reason I am always scared to death even when I have no reason to.
I have no tramatic experiences in my childhood (that I can recall) that could explain this. I just feel as if someone is watching me anyway... But I put this down to me just being this way. Why should it be anything else? Right?
ParanormalReality (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-24)
Seems to me like something normal. Maybe it was all the feelings and senses that you picked up while you were younger that you somewhat got attached to. I think you just may be sensitive about the way that someone is watching you. I hope it doesn't get bad. Thanks for posting.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-24)
I have to agree with Brifischer. My son said he use to hear conversations in this house when he lived here before remodeling got underway and he was staying in this house for fire insurance reasons. After about 3 months he moved out because it just freaked him out too much, free rent or not. We moved in a year later after everything was fixed and I can honestly say I have never heard anything like that myself. My son doesn't even believe in a spirit world so this was an eyeopener for him but if you were to say to him you are sensitive he would deny it totally. I just think some have the gift while others are just a bit sensitive. Maybe you are just a bit sensitive but it's up to you if you want to hone that or not. Some choose to ignore it and some work with it.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Seems to me that you're just sensitive. You're picking up on a lot of things that you don't fully understand. I would grasp this and learn as much as you can. Accept that what you have is a gift and harness it. Good luck.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Hmm, maybe it is your grandmother I mean I know I am not alone here in my bedroom myself my father died in the 90's and sometime I can smell cigarette smoke I knew it him. Just to visiting and watch us and make sure things are alrights.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: