You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ruined Church & Dogs At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Ruined Church & Dogs At Night

 

Given the geography, this MAY be connected to my previous story. It also sounds like the plot from a bad horror film, I apologise for that. But it happened.

About ten minutes away from my house (on foot) there is an old, ruined church. It's in the middle of someone's field, its private property. You can see what's left of it from the road. There are all kinds of stories about it. Supposedly what was buried there, with all kinds of treasure. Just a legend, of course, no one has gone digging it up.

Officially what I'm about to describe happened approximately 6 months prior to the first night time visit. Basically, at some ridiculous hour of the night, around two AM, there was a terrible screaming and banging at the front door people clamoring to be let in. So, we went down, and there were these three guys banging on the door (it's an all glass door, we could see them fairly clearly with the lights on). They were fairly panicked. We opened the door, they rushed in. I think I heard... What sounded like a dogs clawing concrete. I think I heard that, but, hey, lots of dogs in the countryside. So, we bring them inside, and they are terrified. Eventually, we calmed them down, got them to talk about what happened. They were English; one of them had an Irish family who told them about the stories of the "treasure" in the field. As I said, nobody took that story seriously, but these guys did, for some reason.

So, they decided to come over for a visit, find the field, and go digging when it was nice and dark. They had torches, and the spot they dug was hidden behind a hedge. Very hard to see them. So, they're digging, and this dog came up to the hole, started knocking some dirt back in. Not in any kind of ominous way, just a dog trying to fill in a hole. They threw a rock, the dog runs off, and they went back to digging. Dog comes back after a bit, just sits down to watch. They figure they'll leave him be, and keep on digging. I found a bit of a sandwich the next day, maybe one of them fed him, I don't know. So, they're digging away, and then BAM. Total chaos. Crazy voices, dog goes crazy and lunges at them, weird flashing lights (this is what they told us, don't blame me) and all kinds of crazy shenanigans. They panicked and ran, with stuff following them all the way to our house. All I can say is, all I heard was something that MIGHT have been a dog on the road.

So, soon as it was light, they were gone. My dad walked with them back to their car, and they drove off. Never gave a name or anything. There WERE some tools in the field, and a bit of a sandwich, which supports them being in the field. No sign of a hole.

I don't know, maybe they were just winding us up.

I can post a few pics of the field over the weekend if any one wants. I think the church has fallen, not sure. Been a while since I was up there.

So, yeah, seems like a bad horror movie, I get that, but those guys visited the house.

Other hauntings by Donal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Donal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Donal (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
Sorry for not getting back sooner, its been a REALLY crazy time (moving around, packing, unpacking, trying to find a job).

Yeah, I'll try to get a picture of the field tomorrow. The church ruins have been knocked, and no one bothered to tell me, which is quite annoying.
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
Woops what I meant to say is God is Dog spelt backwards but the word do is in there to.
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
God is Do spelt backwards. Dogs may be sent to protect good people from being hurt or from something evil from being dug up that may get away and cause harm, dog could be warning them they are digging up something evil, with the creepy evil voices, what if something bad was buried on holy ground or the old church used for satantic purposes.

Its black dogs you should be wary of!

An urban legendUrban legend
An urban legend, urban myth, or urban tale is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories thought to be factual by those circulating them...
surrounds an iron statue of a black dog that guards the grave of a little girl at the Hollywood CemeteryHollywood Cemetery
Hollywood Cemetery is a large, sprawling cemetery located at 412 South Cherry Street in Richmond, Virginia. Characterized by rolling hills and winding paths overlooking the James River, it is the resting place of two President of the United States, James Monroe and John Tyler, as well as the only President of the Confederate States of Ameri...
in Richmond, VirginiaRichmond, Virginia
Richmond is the Capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia, in the United States. Like all Virginia municipalities incorporated as cities, it is an independent city and not part of any county...
. Legend claims that the statue was once placed in front of a Richmond shop, and that the girl would pet and talk to the "dog" on her way to school. After the girl died of scarlet feverScarlet fever
Scarlet fever is a disease caused by an exotoxin released by Streptococcus pyogenes. The term Scarlatina may be used interchangeably with Scarlet Fever, though it is commonly used to indicate the less acute form of Scarlet Fever that is often seen since the beginning of the twentieth century...
, the shop's owner gave the statue to her family, who placed it on the girl's gravesite. The iron dog is said to come alive if an outsider threatens to defile or damage the grave. The statue has also reportedly been discovered mysteriously pointing at different directions.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Well, we all know the British Isle's are very haunted. Not sure I believe in hellhounds but does seem like something might have been protecting the area. Whatever it was it scared the bejesus out of the people doing the treasure hunting. Sounds like they were chased out. How hospitable of your father to allow them to stay with your family until dawn without even knowing their names. Seems like your dad must have believe a certain amount of what they claimed.
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
I know I would love to see the pictures, Ireland has beautiful countryside, haunted or not. 😁
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
thanks for the intriguing story.
I would like to take a peak on the place where you guys try to dig and a more brief details regarding that church.

Please do contact me through my email address. Thanks and will be waiting for your response.
jakester913 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Hey 😁! Nice story!

I think that the dog that the men saw was what some people know as a hell-hound.Its like a spirit of a dog that is sent to protect certain places.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Very interesting, Donal.

If there were indeed a treasure buried by the ruined church, I think the dog was probably there to make sure it stayed where it, for lack of a better word, belonged.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: