You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Getting Her Last Laugh

Real Ghost Stories

Getting Her Last Laugh

 

My grandmother died February 2008 but the unexplained happenings didn't start until a few months later when my aunt (and her daughter) was diagnosed with the same cancerous tumor (luckily benign) that my grandmother died from.

They were sitting in the living room one night when a stack of coasters moved in front of a picture frame on one of the end tables. I don't know the time of these events but the next thing that happened was my aunt was cleaning the house when she suddenly heard music playing. It turned out to be coming from my grandmother's room and from a phone that was 25 years old and has no way to play music. She finally had to unplug it because the music wouldn't stop. Another thing that happened was my aunt was cleaning the house again one day and heard a huge slam, like a door slam. She looked everywhere then suddenly decided to look in my grandmother's room and noticed that her closet door was shut. We never kept it all the way shut because it was very hard to open again; she almost didn't get it open that time. That has also happened with my mom there. My grandmother had a little hand held poker game she always used to play and my aunt kept it in a glass case with other collectibles. One day my aunt heard it go off in the case with a royal flush. She tried everything to turn it off but finally had to take the batteries out. However, even after taking the batteries out it continued to play the music.

My uncle has claimed that he woke up one night and rolled over in bed and could swear he saw my grandmother standing in the doorway. My aunt has also said that sometimes she sees her. My sister spent the night over one night, most likely because family was in town. She was sleeping with my aunt who always keeps the door open. My sister said she hardly got any sleep that night because she kept hearing footsteps going through the house. My uncles also states that sometimes you can walk through the dining room and into the kitchen and sometimes smell coffee that smells freshly brewed. My uncle also had a shampoo bottle thrown at him while he was taking a shower. It fell on his foot and cut it open. I am not sure on this one because it is the only one with any violence so far and I don't think she would ever do anything like that.

There was one time when my aunt was talking to my cousin who lives in Indiana. They were about to hand up when they heard someone say something on the phone, but it wasn't either of them. I cannot remember what the phrase was but it was one my grandmother always used to say, something along the lines of 'Now be careful' or 'Be safe'. Close to Thanksgiving my little cousin who is five or six years old had commented on how he wished Meemaw could have been here for Thanksgiving. My aunt and uncle were sitting in the dining room and my aunt was telling my uncle what my cousin had said and right after she told him the lights went out.

The latest occurrence happened only a few weeks ago. My aunt and uncle have a satellite linked clock that is always set for the same time everyday, when my aunt gets up in the morning. It had never gone off on an irregular time until that night when it started playing music at around 12:30 in the morning. Cindy tried everything to shut it off and while she was doing that my uncle rolled over and shook her shoulder saying, "Your mom wants to talk to you". That one is a little humorous because of what he said. The clock finally turned off by itself.

These two are not superstitious at all and would never lie about something like this. I call myself fortunate that nothing has ever happened while I have been there because I don't know what I would do if I saw her or if something happened. I wouldn't mind seeing her but I don't want to feel the fear that comes with seeing a ghost considering I've never see one before. I didn't even really believe in them until all these things started happening.

Their house also has shadow people, I don't know the technical term but that is what we all call them. They have been there for as long as I can remember, long before my grandmother died. Those I have seen but not for a long time, probably because I went to school in Texas for 3 years. I remember I hated sleeping in my grandmother's room when we spent the night because it was always so dark in that room when it wouldn't have been. And I absolutely hate walking through the hall to the bathroom. It's not a big hall but you have to walk by my aunt's dark room to get to the bathroom, it's all I can do to walk by it without running. The den also is darker than it should be. They have an enclosed back porch that is hooked to the den, so it shouldn't be as dark as it sometimes is in there. And the shadows in the corners always seem like they don't belong. But my uncle has seen more prominent shadows, I'm sure my aunt has too but my uncle talks about it more, I think it helps him deal with it better.

They have lived in that house for as long as they've been married, I think almost 30 years. I know my grandmother would never do anything to hurt anyone in the house, and considering when all these things started happening I want to say she is hanging around because she wants my aunt to know its okay and that she is there for her. However that still does not explain the shampoo bottle but the cut on his foot could of just been bad body placement on my uncle's part. Please, if anyone has had an experience like these or could help it would be so greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by lexie4308

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lexie4308, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
just a recognition of her existence in that matter.
Regarding the shampoo bottle, I think that maybe your uncle did something naughty or not nice earlier on that date.
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
This was an interesting story. Its good that your grandmother doesn't seems to mean you any harm. Like you said, it seems like she is just letting them know that she is there.
lexie4308 (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Thank you for your comment! I find what you said very interesting, I'm too much of a chicken to go over there especially with all the lights out but my fiance and his two cousins definitely want to go over there and try an EVP session. I'm beginning to think she is there because I don't know if my aunt would have made it as well as she has so far without knowing if her mother was still there or not. Thank you again.
Rowan_Red (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Hello,
This is an interesting story, something that I too have experienced. I always hated sleeping over at my grandmother's house because it was too dark, unnaturally so.

The fact that there are shadow people, and they are called that, by the way, probably means that the house is a portal, or a very thin place where the spirit world meets our world, and always spirits to cross. It's probably why your Grandmother was able to come back and try to communicate.

I don't have much experience with this type of haunting, but what I can say is that if you do not like the unnatural dark, get the house blessed. Or, if you want to communicate with your grandmother, you could try asking her what she wants? Ask for a sign?

Best of Luck,

Rowan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: