You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Whistler

Real Ghost Stories

The Whistler

 

When my mom was about ten years old, she and my grandparents lived in a house in Barth, Florida. She slept in a room across from my uncle's, and it was the first time she had a room of her own so she was understandably excited.

Their relatives had an uneasy feeling about the house because it was rumored a man had died there (my family came from West Virginia, and Appalachian folk are very superstitious). But my grandfather ignored the warnings they offered and moved there anyway. Soon after moving in, the very first night my mother slept in her new room in fact, my mother woke up late in the night to far-away whistling. She thought nothing of it, rationalizing it as a passer-by on the street whistling to pass the time away, until it suddenly came inside the house.

She could hear its footsteps clicking across the flooorboards, coming closer, and hid under the covers when it entered her room. It walked around her bed, paused a moment, then left. Terrified, she immediately ran to my uncle's room and never slept in her own room until they moved away. The reason they moved was that my grandmother never felt safe in the house. Every time she was alone she'd feel a presence, so she nagged my poor grandfather to leave until he agreed.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostligirl15994, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostligirl15994 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
It's funny that you said sensitivity runs in the family. When I lived in my old house, I would hear and see things. These weren't significant, in fact I didn't put the pieces together until I was 15! Maybe I'll tell you my personal experiences later. There's no time now. But I thought your comment was interesting, Tonith. Thank you. 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
It's a biatch to be sensitive. Sounds like it runs in the family. Your grandmother was aware and so was your mom. I had something happen to me as a child while vacationing at my aunt's and uncle's in New Jersey. They lived in a developement but it was like living in the country. The first year I stayed there I would see a man come in my room (I was on the top bunk my little cousin was on the bottom bunk) and he would walk around looking at all the things on my cousins little desk and throwning his head back and silently laughing every few feet. He would bend down and look at my cousin sleeping and I was terrified he would notice me but didn't seem like he ever did. He never directly looked at me. First time this happened I thought someone had broken in and yelled for my uncle. He came in and of course nothing was there. Next time it happened I wasn't going to call him being that he had to get up for work and I was 9 and way too big to be yelling for adults when scared. I finally got the courage to flip on the light (the light fixture was plumb with my upper bunk) and of course again nothing was there. After that I would just watch it do basically the same thing every time it entered the dark room. It was no doubt something residual but exactly what I don't know. Hard to understand why a man in a suit and hat would be walking around a kid's room but to this day I can still remember it and wondered what it was. Till this day I chalk it up to a kid being in a strange house with country like darkeness and chocolate curtains that allowed no light. That was until I saw something similiar when 17 and then I had to reaccess what I had seen as a kid. Shadow people? I tend to call them silhouetts. Perfect outline of a person without any being able to see a face. Unlike your mother I never heard anything. Just saw it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
It is quite possible an probable that the whistling and the presence where from someone who had an attachment to the home. I am sure it was frighteneing but odds are there was no harm ment, just as I said someone with an attachement, maybe not ready to cross over or just checking to see if the house was being cared for properly.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us,

God Bless!
ghostligirl15994 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
That old house is, to my understanding, under rennovations or being torn down. (that doesn't really help, does it?) Anyway, I don't think the ghostis there anymore. Who knows? Not me, I'm not staying there after dark! But the ghost never harmed anything but my family's phsyche!
ghostsarereal2 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Thats creepy. You should find out if anyone ever died in that house because then it would give you more of a clue of who it was. Good Luck!
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
creepy but sad, you never know where the sound came from and what's the reason behind it.
Anyway, all of you are safe now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: