You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Second Floor

Real Ghost Stories

The Second Floor

 

One night around 1 AM, when I was about eight years old, my mom woke me from sleeping on the couch. She was pale and seemed to be very frightened. "Go to the car while I grab my gun." (she had a license.) I followed my mother's instructions. Now, keep in mind, when we left, the back door was shut and locked, and the dog was inside.

As we got in the car, my mother explained what was going on. Apparently, she heard noises coming from upstairs. She heard what sounded like footsteps and chains. We lived in the house on the corner so we could see the backyard from the street. My mom figured someone had broken in somehow, like maybe climbed a ladder or something to the second floor. So, we took a peek. But we didn't see an intruder. Instead we saw the dog running around outside. The door was locked and he was inside. My dad worked graveyard so he wasn't home at night. We knew it wasn't him making noises. We had no clue what to do so we called the cops.

We were too scared to go into the house so we waited for the cops. We followed an officer upstairs but there was nothing there. My mom heard the closet door sliding back and forth but the doors were closed. We had always heard and seen things in the house but never anything like that. It scared my mom so much that when we came home at night we went through the house and turned on all the lights. Again, I have always heard things, but never encountered something like this. This story was completely truthful.

Other hauntings by jordash95

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jordash95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

jordash95 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
here is just some answers to the questions asked. My dad worked graveyard shift, not in a graveyard. Also the house was built for us so I'm guessing the land was haunted. And the chains sounded as if they were being carryed, not dragged.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-30)
I think jordash95 was referring to her father working a graveyard SHIFT, not literally working in a graveyard.

Graveyard shifts are night shifts that usually start between 11PM and midnight.

Just trying to clarify things. 😊
spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-29)
I think it's a ghost or something that your dad brought from the grave. I agree about Nor_Cal_Girl. God Bless you! 😁 😁 😊
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Wow, now that's scary! Do you know anything about the house or land? Maybe someone has said this already but maybe it had/has something to do with your dad working at a graveyard. Maybe he brought something or someone home.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Whew! Did you or your parents have any other encounters or experiences in the home? Although, from the sounds of your story, this one experience is enough to scare the bejebus out of anyone and I thouroughly applaud your mother for protecting you and herself to such lengths, she sounds like a very strong and brave woman,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us!

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Well this ghost took the chain rattling seriously. We always hear of the chain rattling effect but it's such a cliche' I guess until you hear it, it seems like the stuff ghost stories are made of. I would have chalked this up to nerves until you said the door was locked but the dog still got out. I wouldn't have let my dog behind but at the time I'm sure your mother was only concerned about getting you and herself out of the house thinking it was an intruder. Whatever it was it didn't harm anyone which is usually the case for hauntings. Apparently your mother was sensitive enough to hear all it's activity and that had to be very unnerving.
ghostligirl15994 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Of all the weird things that have happened to me, sounds such as chains being moved around seems much more frightening.
ghostsarereal2 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Thats such a weird story. Hey, maybe you should try to find out who lived in the house or what it was used for if it is quite an old house you never know it could of been for mentally ill people or something. Good luck!
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
chains? Either reasons to have someone lock in or this someone is mentally ill that would like to get someone in chain...
Questions, is the chains sound like a drag on the floor or someone carrying it with them?

Did you tell you dad about this?
Do you have any experiences after that?
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Well, THAT would have been more than enough to send me house hunting! I'd be gone in sixty seconds--or less!

Chains, eh? They DO make a very distinctive sound when being dragged. Makes me wonder why someone would need them.

The only reason that comes to my semi-rational mind would be for restraining someone, possibly a mentally ill person.

By the way, approximately how old was the house?
rrc3 (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
wow did you ever find out what it was or like a ghost or something cool story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: