You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Strange Recording

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange Recording

 

This happened the Christmas of 2004. We were living in California at the time and my dad was about to go on leave for Christmas. We were going to San Diego to visit with some relatives as well as stopping by the beach for a couple of days.

My sister and I, I was 11 and she was 6 at the time, had been watching one of those (what I consider questionable) ghost hunting shows the night before we were scheduled to leave for vacation. After a while, my sister went to her room and got her recorder so we could "imitate" what these ghost hunters were doing. It was meant to be harmless fun. We joked around for a bit, asked really lame questions, made classic ghoul noises (etc), and finally went to sleep.

Our vacation went as planned and we returned a week later. I spotted the recorder under my bed after dinner the day we returned. I picked it up thinking it was strange because I was sure I had left it on my dresser but shrugged it off as carelessness. However, what happened next was even stranger. I meant to hit record but accidentally hit play and the message that came out was totally unexpected. The message was "Maybe there are such things as ghosts, I know you're in San Diego." Now how did that get there? I got my sister and, after listening to it about 5 or 6 times, we tried to do the next logical thing and match our voices up to the voice on the recorder, but no dice. We must have tried dozens of times to get the right voice but no one in the house could match up to it.

What was scary was the fact that the massage was crystal clear without any slurs (like my voice produced) or background noise. Unfortunately my dad erased the message and the recorder was thrown away shortly after the incident.

To this day I'm not sure what exactly caused that recording or how the recorder got under my bed.

Other hauntings by kiwi7

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kiwi7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-01)
wow, I don't know whether I should be screaming or laughing! Did it sound like a friendly ghost at least?
kiwi7 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-01)
Yeah, while it was somewhat funny, whether it was a joke or not I don't think I'll try that again anytime soon.
Wishes2810 (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-01)
That is rather amazing! It is a great shame that the recording is gone you cought some brilliant phanomana! I have no doubt that the spirit was actuley watching you fool around! But I wouldn't do it again as the ghost may not be as nice.
❤ 😆
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
That just gave me chills. Iwonder what stuff like that is. I remember my father and I were at a abandond house and got some EVPs. The ghost's name was Fritz.
Neuro (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
How creepy! It could've been a prank but could also very well have been a ghost messing around with the recorder.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
Too bad the tape was erased and the recorder tossed out. That seems to happen a lot.
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-30)
Thats scary, but at the same time it sounded a bit funny xD
Like while you were joking around and you thought that ghosts didn't exist so you and your sister joked around about it, a ghost was actually talking while you did that xD

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: