You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghostly Occurrences At My Friend's Hosue

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Occurrences At My Friend's Hosue

 

I'm a long time silent reader, first time poster. I love the site and the people seem to give good enough feedback. That said, on with the story, and thank you for having me!

This will be the first of several accounts that I will relate over time on this website. This story encompasses most of the bizarre happenings at my friend's house.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine moved into a newly developing neighborhood that was huge dirt lot for as long as I could remember before that. Not impressive in and of itself, but he was about 18 at the time, so it was a huge deal for us. We (friends) threw parties on the weekends, crashed there frequently, and bugged him to death I'm sure. Anyway, he had owned the house for about 2 years with some successful keggers, but it was getting to be a lot for him to keep up on his own. He had a previous roommate that moved out, and I decided to move in with him.

I moved in to the house with a minimum of belongings at first, as to not intrude suddenly, and accumulated more things over a couple of years. It must have been about a month that I was living there when I awoke from a scary dream (it does relate to the ghost story by the way). I dreamed that I was working at a hotel that was extremely haunted. All of my friends worked there with me.

Anyway, when I woke up from the dream, it was about 3 in the morning. I sort of rolled over, wide awake, and looked at my dresser. What I saw next scared the full crap out of me. Above my dresser, and what appeared to be standing "inside" of the dresser was a short woman with very long scraggly hair. It really just looked like a head on top of my dresser. It didn't move, but I looked so closely for some time, and could make out flowing hair that hung down the side of the dresser. I noticed that it did not blow in the fan's stream of air.

I mustered up the courage to get up, since it was not going away, and walked carefully to the light switch, never taking my eyes off the "head". When I turned on the light, it was instantly gone. I shut the lights off and on and couldn't get it to reappear. That's probably the part that scared me the most. I couldn't rationalize it. Every time I would try to say, "Oh it was probably this..." I would remember the vivid detail that I had seen it in. I never did see a face on it, just the hair, ooh that hair!

I retired to the living room for some late night television garbage, and finally fell asleep on the couch, lights and TV on. I told my friend the next day after we were both home from our jobs, and he didn't seem surprised, though he was intrigued. We shrugged it off and I eventually did become easy about it.

About a month later, I was sitting on the small couch watching TV. It was late in the evening, and I think we had been drinking a little bit. I had a nice buzz and was in my own world when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, what I thought was my roommate walk out of his room and down the hall towards my bedroom. Picture the living room with couches in an L shape. His room was behind the couch I was on and the hall led behind the couch to my bedroom. Well, I thought he was going to do a load of laundry, but then I noticed that he went into my room. I turned to look thinking it was kind of strange that he went in there when I heard a loud glass popping noise. I shouted down the hall, "What are you doing?!?" or something to that effect and then nearly jumped through the ceiling to find his reply coming from behind me on the opposite couch.

He had been lying there the whole time. So we went down the hall together to find a very creepy phenomenon. A lamp I had in the room had a shattered light bulb that sort of split in half. The bulb had split down the middle and plastic was fused to it. I just had never seen a light break that way, and in conjunction with the figure walking down the hallway, it seemed very peculiar. The lamp was completely destroyed and when we turned it on, it just smoked and made a popping noise.

Another time we were halfway falling asleep in the living room when I heard him yell, "Watch out!" I sprung out of my state and looked at him. He just stared at the ceiling with his eyes wide open and asked if had seen that. I said I didn't because I was halfway asleep. He said that he saw a very large thing crawling on the ceiling and that it dropped right over my head. That sent chills down my spine. I began to feel targeted, until a few weeks later.

He told me of a sleep paralysis he had. He said he saw a man that looked like he had deer antlers on his head with cloven hoof feet! Wow, scary huh? He said he couldn't move the whole time the figure moved around his room and came to the foot of his bed. He said he woke up with the sheets in a knot around his arm, and he halfway remembered swinging the sheets at it to get it away from him. I don't know if it was significant as far as a haunting, but it scared him a lot. He slept on the couch for about a month after that incident, and I got kind of worried about him.

In the coming months, we didn't talk much, as I had met a new girlfriend who was over a lot, and she had a 2 year old child. My friend has never really liked to be around children, he just gets nervous and clumsy. So he either stayed in his room or I was in mine with my new found lover. Well one time we were just watching TV in my room when her son, who was sleeping on the floor, woke up and sort of squirmed his way to the bed on his butt. He pointed at my closet and started panicking and crying hysterically. She was finally able to calm him down and he just kept saying "Eyes! Eyes!" He would NOT go into my room ever again, so she actually stopped coming over soon. I was getting pretty annoyed with our ghost, and I actually moved out shortly. He really wanted me to stay, but I told him I had to get out of there. He understood.

Later he got a dog from a friend who needed a home for one, and he felt instantly secure with the dog in the house. Occasionally, the dog will growl at nothing or run down the hall toward my old room. He said that it will sit in front of my doorway and bark sometimes, as if something or someone is in there. He has investigated so many times, finding nothing; he finally just takes it for granted.

Another one of my friends is currently rooming with him, and they have another little dog that they found as a stray. It looks sort of like a miniature black lab dog. The dog is very strange and gives me the creeps somewhat. It will bark at things randomly and just has weird mannerisms to it. It doesn't seem like a dog at all to me, more cats like. This sounds completely out of the blue, but the first time I saw the dog, I thought it was a demon. I don't know enough about that kind of thing, but the research I have done indicates that it is most likely not a demon. I would still get weird gross thoughts involving the dog sometimes, and I don't like to be around it in general. I don't really have any real reasons for this sort of thinking, but it just pops into my mind.

Oh, one other thing that I've heard recently. Well that little dog was barking at the glass door. My friends were outside (the two current roommates) and they looked into the glass door and saw a shadowy figure moving slowly down the hall. You probably guess it, towards my old room!

Anyway, I still go by there once a week and hang out with the guys, and I have noticed anything else peculiar. The new roommate did tell me that he is afraid of his closet at night sometimes. It sounds somewhat kid dish, but he is a fully grown adult and doesn't scare easily. He said that he'll wake up in the middle of the night and just glance uneasily at the closet. He's even said that he's hidden under the covers to the point of misery and profuse sweating just to be covered from view of the closet. I'm not sure what that is all about since it's a different room entirely.

Well gang, I'm very sorry for the length of the story (8275 characters *gasp!*, but I wanted to include everything I could think of. Hopefully it wasn't too boring. More to come soon!

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to comment. I will be sure to respond.

Other hauntings by Wardo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wardo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Well, it is very possible and even likely that the house was on old Indian land. Living in Arizona, much of the land here is just desert, and it stays that way until we move in and make it our own somehow. Who knows what could have possibly happened there before. I actually had the impression that there were some native American spirits within his house, at least a couple perhaps. I think it's the old woman that haunted my old bedroom, and thankfully I never saw her except that one time. Seeing an old lady in my bedroom at night where none should be certainly freaked me out enough once.

On the note of EVP, interestingly enough we hold band practices there now and each time we always record our sessions. We have encountered a very strange EVP type phenomena on one occasion and I am planning to post it up with another story soon. I actually need to find the original copy of the EVP again, because we have edited a version several times and tried to makes sense of it. I wouldn't have even mentioned it yet, as I know how interested people are to hear these things, but I will definitely do it shortly. I'll probably post as a follow up to this story, only this time I'll spell the word "house" correctly in the title 😕
Haunted_cleaner (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-27)
Hi Wardo,
Is your friends house on Indian lands, the man with the antlers is wearing a typical headdress for the hunt. Has he ever asked them what they are doing there? If it is an intelligent haunt they may respond. (Use a voice recorder) If he is frightened by their presence they will take advantage. I am very firm with my ghost, they are not aloud to frighten, harm me or anyone in the house or they will have to leave. I know this sounds odd but the reality of ghost is that they were just normal people like us who died and who are trapped here for some reason.
I hope this helps.
Take care
MeganNZ (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
Hiya

Thank you so much for Sharing your terrifying story. It was also Incredibly well written.
I was Intensly reading, and up to the Deer Antlers, Cloven Hoofed Man part and recieved a text message... I nearly threw my laptop across the room I got such a fright!

This whole ordeal would make an incredible movie, I would say it would be a box office success (I found the part about the baby and the little demon like dog particularly frightening)!

I hope your friend is okay, I certainly couldn't stay in that house one minute longer. 😨

I might take a few deep breaths before I read your other story 😲

Take care, Megan
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Hi everyone and wow thanks for the comments! I appreciate all feedback and welcome all opinions! Thanks again!

The really strange thing about Drew's house is that I was never really scared or uneasy there. The only time I was really frightened was when I saw the head "on" the dresser. That scared me and made me feel panicky, but only because I couldn't really rationalize it. I didn't really feel that the entity was bad or evil. I am pretty sure it is a Native American spirit, especially with the hair descriptions and what happened to Drew that night. As far as Gus (the other roommate) I think what he is feeling is something totally different. I'm not really sure what to make of it still, but I will suggest blessing the house or burning sage (I think someone said that and my friend is into that stuff too) he's usually really open to that kind of thing. Thanks so much for all of your help everybody!
AnGeLHeArT (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Nice story! Don't worry about a demon,
Try blessing your house,
If it doesn't work,
Contact the 'spirit' OR 'demon',
Ask what it is,
Or anything to let it leave you alone.
old_ky_home1047 (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
i do that too sometimes... Hide under my covers to the point of misery & sweating... Cause my rooms very scary at night... ❤
Magcargo (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
Wow great storie. Freaky how that ghost always went into your old room. Keep writing 😉
MalfoyMC (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
Wow! Your story is really interesting! I think you did deal with something paranormal. ❤
Hawkgirl (6 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
Hi,
First of all, I didn't even notice the length of your story, it's so interesting!... That sounds very creepy, I also had some strange happenings in my room a while ago. I did a little praying, asked "it" to go away and got a golden retriever who sleeps in my room, so far it seems to have worked and now I'm able to sleep at ease. I wish your friends luck, I know it's kind of a drag going through this stuff.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
To BansheeLee Thanks for the advice. I will tell my friend about a sage burning that he might want to try. I have heard of that, and it just reminded me of an entire different set of experiences I had at another friend's house. I will post up soon. Thanks for your input and advice.

To Alastor Thank you also for replying with good feedback. I feel more likely to take your advice, probably because it is on the comfortable side for me, but I don't want to take it lightly if I shouldn't. So far, I don't think anyone has been touched or hurt in any way. I think it sounds more residual also, and maybe even a spirit passing through? Anyway, thanks to all. I feel comfort in knowing that I'm not crazy or alone.
Alastor (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
Good story Wardo. I really wouldn't worry about a demon... It sounds a lot more like a residual haunting. Maybe your friend has some old trinkets that belonged to his family, maybe they were in the area long before the homes were built. Also remember suggestion is a very powerful thing, you said your friend had that dream after you told him what you saw, and the dream is completely different from the other happenings, so I might dismiss it. I have noticed both times your friend saw something it was during sleep while you were lucid for you experiences. Also sleep paralysis is not all that uncommon, without going into the details its kind of like not being able to fully come out of the sleep state, your brain has to hold your body down while it sleeps or else you would act out every dream you have! This also can give a sense of living your dreams since you are half in and out of sleep. Not to be rude or anything but those deer antlers... You guys weren't drinking jager were you?
BansheeLee (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Wardo, I do not mean to worry you. I said it could be demonic, seeing as how your roommate saw a horned hooved entity in his room... It could also be just a spirit taking on a form of something to scare your friend even more. In anycase it does not sound like a good entity and your friend should try to cleanse the house. Light some Sage and walk around the house and ask this entity to leave. The Sage is a cleanser and should help. Please have him do it even if the activity in the home has calmed some. Even if there hasnt been anything going on that doesn't mean the spirit will not make its self known again. If the sage and your roommate asking the entity to go doesn't work, then he will have to try something different. Don't feel worried or scared, trust in God and he will protect you. Good luck!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Oh I remember hearing about old hag syndrome. I think I've also heard it referred to as sleep paralysis. I'm hoping it isn't demonic because that is very bad if I'm not mistaken. There haven't been any strong happenings lately, do you think it may have gone? Would a demon leave the place if it were there? Should we worry about this? I'm getting more worried the more I read! Any help is appreciated, and other opinions welcomed.
BansheeLee (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Wardo, very interesting story indeed! These encounters that you speak of between you and your old roommate sound as though they could be of the demonic type. Especially the paralysis that your roommate experienced. As for your question regarding what is a Hag Haunting? Well, it is just what your friend experienced. Waking up in the middle of the night frozen and unable to move, seeing or hearing things that you can not explain. It can very with each person. I have heard stories of a women entity sitting on someones chest and that person was frozen and unable to move, the person could either see this women or hear her. Hence, the name Old Hag Haunting. I have also heard other stories similiar, where people were frozen, and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary but they could hear things. Very strange occurance. The only thing I know is that I hope something like that never happens to me! Take care! And fabulous story!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Well I'm not very knowledgeable about haunting types. By the way sorry for typos, I saw one in the title and I can't believe I overlooked that. How embarrassing. But about a hag type haunting, what is that exactly?
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Wow, sounds like a hag type haunting by the description of the head/figure in the dresser.
Great story and thanks for posting it! I found it very interesting.
😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: