You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Roman Soldiers

Real Ghost Stories

Roman Soldiers

 

Where I live in England there is a roman village. It's been there for centuries in Lincolnshire. Many bodies, burial grounds have been found in the village. We've even had time team come do an investigation here.

The story I am about to tell left me at a point where I now have to take a different route to work.

It all started at around 8.30 on a normal working day I had got into my car, started to drive up the main road of my village where I live towards the cross roads that leads into my village. The lights were red and I was at the start of the queue on my own. Ahead of me a car pulled up and stopped following another. I reached to turn on my radio whilst I waited. Glancing up, astonished at what I was seeing. There was a troop of roman soldiers about 8-12 of them marching across from left to right they were dressed in shielded armour holding shields. The odd part is I could see their whole body only to there knees. As I watched them looking around to see if anyone else was seeing this abnormal site. No one was watching other than me. The man across the road was watching the lights waiting to turn green, the cyclist carried on past. No one other than me had seen this that morning.

As this was playing on my mind all day, I'd figured that as the roads have been built up since roman times, they are still walking on the roads there walked on and new. I'm guessing this is why I could only see them down to their knees.

Other hauntings by claudiak

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, claudiak, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-20)
Till date, this is the only story where I see the O/P going against his/her own declaration:" I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion."

Kudos
Lynsey1980 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
I'm pretty sure this village is Ancaster! I've just moved here and actually live on Ermine Street! Great story xx
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-23)
Loved your account about the romans, and I think your right about the road thing, the roads would have been much lower than today, thanks again...
MissHill (6 stories) (67 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
Can I ask where do you live? I'm a huge Time Team fan. The only Ermine street I can remember would be Cirencester, but I'm sure there are others, plus 80% sure they didn't find any bodies, unless It one I haven't seen.
monoxide (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
wow that's so cool and would kind of suck
Imagine walking down roads for the rest of your afterlife!
Somhairle (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-26)
Huh... Probably a fragment of a memory if they acknowledged nothing, but then again they could just be very serious types.
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
I've heard that a motorway (can't remember which one) is haunted somewhere in England. Roman soldiers are said to have been seen there as well. Wouldn't want to be stuck there in a traffic jam in the morning (especially in winter when it is still dark at 7am 😨). 😜
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
That has got to be one of the most interesting risidual hauntings I have heard on this site. I can't imagine seeing them all in their formal gear marching along as if no one else were there. And no one else seeing them? I would squint, rub my eyes a few times and then look again! Great story.

Blessed be
claudiak (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
hiya, no they never looked at anyone around them. Just looked straight ahead, in a very military fashion. Its ermine street that they used to march down in order to go to battle through our village. The mojority of fields cannot be used other than for cattle as there are many remains scattered around.
Carpediem (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
Very enjoyable read! I have heard of this group of Roman soldiers in the past. It's interesting what you note about their legs only being partially visible. I for one am totally enthralled by the conquests and history of Rome and would have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
wow. Very interesting. You are probably right about what you said. Very interesting indeed
Magcargo (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
That would be weird seeing old roman soldiers. Like some ghost they could be repeating what they used to do back then when thay were alive.
Alastor (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
That is awesome, why would you want to avoid seeing that? I would love to see a ghost that old and Romans at that! How cool!
adullin (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
did they in any way acknoladge your existance ie look at you? Or make any indication that they knew that you were there?
Composerman (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
Thats an interesting account, I have heard of similar stories where you can only see them as far as their legs, etc. It sounds like a residual haunting (i.e. A 'replay' of events from the past) Have you done any more research into the area? Was it originally a roman road? Could you give a more detailed description of what they were wearing (eg colours, weapons etc?) It might be possible to narrow down a precise time period during the roman occupation. Thanks for submitting your account!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: