You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Her

Real Ghost Stories

The Her

 

The following events took place at an elementary school in Tempe, Arizona between 2001 and 2003. The accounts are personal experiences that I had while working there as a computer lab assistant.

I worked in the computer lab with grades k-5. The lab is positioned in the rear of the school where not a lot of people travel often. That is an important detail for the story. The school was established in 1971, so it's not that old, but who knows what happened on the land. Okay, so on with the true stories.

One day when a kindergarten class was in the lab (a particularly well behaved group). One of the little girls who did not speak very good English ran over to me and was crying. She was speaking Spanish, which I was not fluent in, so I didn't really know what was wrong. Another little girl who was bilingual told me that she saw a ghost. I tried to question the child further since I have always been intrigued, but she didn't want to talk about it really. I coaxed a little more and finally got her to say, "It was the her." I'm guessing that she called it "the her" because she only spoke a little English and mostly Spanish. She probably didn't realize the translation of language or something, but then that combination of words freaked me out big time! The class finished and I was left alone in the lab with no further incident for that day.

Another time, one of the custodians helped me move paper to a storage room in the lab. A little history is necessary here, but I'll keep it brief. The computer lab bordered the wall of the library. This is the same side that the kids were sitting on when they said they saw "the her". Over the first summer of my employment the lab was remodelled, as was the library, to have a space between the walls with an office on either side. My almost-office became a storage room instead. So like I said we moved a whole year supply worth of paper into this storage room and stacked it neatly in the corner. There were dozens of boxes and it took a couple hours to move them all over and store them.

So around two weeks later, someone came and needed some paper for a printer. I unlocked the door (only myself and the custodian had a key to the door because they hadn't made copies yet) and found the room in total disarray. Paper boxes were moved around into weird nonsensical positions and some were even emptied out onto the floor. For example, three boxes were stacked on the opposite end of the room on their sides. Several boxes were crammed onto the tiny server table, etc. Nothing like we left it.

I contacted the custodian and he swore that he did not go into the room. I believed him, and I didn't see why he would trash the place even if he had.

Another incident happened when I came into the lab early one morning to start up the computers. I noticed something in the middle of the room on the floor. I turned on the lights and it was a pyramid style pile of sand on the floor. I called the custodian and asked if my room had been serviced the previous night, and he informed me that it wasn't scheduled until the current night for cleaning. I asked him if he could come over and vacuum real quickly because there was sand all over the place. Well he came and looked shock and just said, "Wow! There IS sand all over the place!" Now the funny thing is that after the sand was vacuumed from that spot, he went around the surrounding area and there was no clank of the sound being picked up by the vacuum. It was as though someone emptied all the sand in the room into a small pile in the middle of the room. Usually when the lab would be vacuumed, it would be very clinkity sounding since it didn't get vacuumed but a couple times a week and it was heavily trafficked.

One final incident, and the most significant in my mind, happened when it was time to film the students for their student council advertisements. It was my job to record them and upload them onto the closed circuit television. It was a somewhat new use of the technologies at that time. So I filmed all the kids without incident, usually taking them in small groups. There was one kid left that I had to film alone, a fifth grader. I filmed her speech without incident and remarked on how well I thought she had done on her speech. It was really one of the best I've ever heard a kid her age give. So when I was editing all the film to go up onto the television system, I got to her recording, and mid way through the shoot, the screen went black with a booming sound as though something hit the camera. There was muffled noise, almost like the tape was old or something, although the entire tape worked perfectly except for these 20 seconds or so. It was almost like you could hear a static sound building up, and then some sound like if you whip a taut wire. You know how it makes that tinge noise. Well I slowed the film down using my cheesy program, and did a frame-by-frame advance on it. There was one frame right before the bang and black screen where you could see a little corner of light on the top of the film. Then, after the period elapsed, the film just came back, instantly in the next frame. It was the weirdest thing I ever saw film do.

The only other thing that happened was I told one of the teachers that I thought the school had a ghost, and she said nonchalantly, "Oh yeah, there's a couple of them." I didn't do any real research on it, and most of the events I discounted until later when I thought about weird things at that school. I'm sure I forgot a couple, can post them up later if I remember. Anyway, what do you guys think? Does any of this sound ghostly or paranormal to you all? I sure felt like most of these things did. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

Other hauntings by Wardo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wardo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
Hello waldo on the story with the boxes and paper don't poltergeists stack and move things
MeganNZ (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Hey

Another great story,...that "the her" part scared the crap out of me... Poor little girl sounded really terrified. I get a bit sad after reading your stories as I don't want them to end, they are so interesting, you definately have an intriguing way of writing... Maybe you should become an author?

Meg's 😁
Miss_Cannabis (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-16)
dudeeeee I live in tempe. I went to Curry elementry, I don't know if you know where that's at lol but yeah Which school was it!?!?!? 😲
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Cosmogal926 - Believe me the paper room gave me chills too! I just couldn't make sense of it, but it's still hard to say if any of these things were truly paranormal. I sure do like to think so, because I just had the strangest feelings that they were. Sand=strange for sure! What could that have been about? I mean, that seems like it would have to be a pretty powerful entity to me, but I guess I don't really know enough about it to say. I'll keep you posted on the movie 😁

Jennifer40 - I have heard of many strange things going on around the valley that are paranormal related. Have you ever heard of Art Bell or listened to any of his broadcasts? I'm not too sure what I think of the guy, but his shows are always a hoot. I think that he also suspects a lot of activity to come from Native American tribes as well, and for some reason, Hohokam sticks out in my mind. Navajo is another tribe worth looking into.

Thanks again everyone, you've made this site truly enjoyable and I feel like I'm making some good friends here.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Great story! I live not too far from Tempe and I'm not surprised about the ghosts in the elementary school. The Hohokam indians used to have a large village in that area. The largest village I heard, is where the AZ Mills Mall now stands. Maybe the haunting has something to do with them?

Jennifer ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Great story! I am so interested in finding out what or who "the her" is. The incident with the papers and boxes in the room gave me the chills. I'm sorry to say the sand confused me a little too. If you can find anything out about the significance of the sand I would love to hear about it. If you do make a movie out of this I would definitely watch it.
Thanks for the stories, and I look forward to any future posts. 😊
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Ghostluver,

Thanks for any help you can give me on that part. That was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. The thing is that it can sort of be passed off as not paranormal, but it certainly felt that way at the time... And I believe that the custodian didn't have anything to do with it.
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
very interesting. I am not sure why the sand was on the floor though. 😕 Maybe it had to do with how the Ghost died, or were "she" lived... I 'll do some research.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Hey all and thanks for the feedback. I want to make a movie based on the events that happened at this school. Some things were quite chilling I admit. To Maxie5, I know about the San Carlos, it has been featured on a lot of television programs and I drive by it occasionally wondering about the hauntings I have heard of there. Anyway, I no longer work at the school and haven't for years, but I often recall the events that happened there that I just could not explain rationally aside from a ghost.
Maxie5 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
ooh I live in phx, you should go to the San Carlos Hotel, its haunted. Also some where in the desert their is a part called dragoon where a gohst train rides. Haha just thought id share this with you. I would love to visit this school some time.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
Most schools usually have some form of paranormal activity in them.
This sure does sound paranormal to me.
This story was interesting, I feel so sorry for the little girl who was so scared!
To me it sounds as though this entity/ghost is just trying to make itself known.
Take care.
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
it seems like every time I read a story it reminds me of something that has happened to me...
So when I was in sixth grade I was sick and had some missing assignments so I came in to school early to see my history teacher and maybe get some help. He wasn't there when I got there so I just leaned on the wall beside his door until he got there. He walked right past me, unlocked the door and looked in, and then whirled to face me and demanded to know waht I had been doing. There was black ink splashed ALL OVER the floor and up onto a few of the desks. I mean, it was EVERYWHERE! He didn't have any proof so I didn't get in trouble, especially since it happened four more times and I was late to school on one of the days. After about a month he applolgised because lots of whacky things had been going on in his room lately, like he would come abck from lunch and find the radio on or his shoelaces would be missing. He jokingly told the class that he had a ghost, and most of us believed it since papers tended to fall off our desks. It got to where we would stuff loose papers under our textbooks to keep them off the floor. When we came back from christmas break it didn't happen anymore, maybe because the ghost got bored of waiting for us to come back and just left.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
That poor little girl! That would have scared the you-know-what out of me if I was that young and saw a ghost. I think you have some paranormal activity going on there, but it seems like it just wants attention.
Magcargo (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
I think it was ghost. I realy don't know why there would be sand all over the floor. That I can't explain. Great story thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: