You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Hot Breath, And Growl

Real Ghost Stories

Hot Breath, And Growl

 

I never heard of sleep paralysis until I experienced it one night. I thought I was crazy and that it was a horrid dream, until I read up on what had happened to me and found out that it happens commonly to a lot of people. And after that experience it has happened a lot more frequently then I would like.

Having sleep paralysis frightens me more then the things that go bump in the night. I am tough; I have seen lots of things that would make your hair stand on end. But one night after an episode of this and I won't sleep for the rest of the night. I hate the feeling.

I was working at a home for mentally retarded individuals at the time the first incident happened. The company was losing many employees and I was working a double shift. I had put the ladies to bed and went to start my night shift, cleaning the kitchen and doing nightly routine duties. Becoming tired from working all day I laid down on the couch in the living room and set my alarm for an hour (I needed to check the ladies every hour). I turned off the T.V. So I could hear if they needed me while I took a cat nap. I was a light sleeper and knew I would wake up if I heard them talking. I fell asleep almost instantly on my back.

Soon I heard the sound of footsteps. Trying to open my eyes while hearing them come closer I began to panic, I couldn't move, what if the girls needed me. Why couldn't I wake up, I kept telling myself. The footsteps stopped behind the couch. I tried again to open my eyes or even talk. I couldn't. I felt my throat ache from the attempt to scream. I stopped trying to wake up when I felt the top of the couch cushion sink in slowly like someone had their hands on it and was leaning over me. It crunched as weight was added to it, the couch was leather and you know the sound a leather couch makes when you move on it. Again I fought to 'wake' up. Obviously one of the girls needed me. I stopped struggling again when I felt the hot breath against my face. Whatever it was growled low when it exhaled. And the smell was like nothing I have ever smelt before.

I was scared now, this was not one of the girls, and I was not dreaming. The breath that blew over my face moved my bangs slightly, I remember exactly how it felt. And then just like that it was gone, the hot breath ceased and the couch fluffed back up making the soft crinkle sound. No footsteps though. My eyes flung open and I sat up on the couch, looking around the room. Nothing was out of place and no one was there. I ran to every bedroom, all the girls were asleep just as I had left them. When I checked the time on my phone only ten minutes had passed. I stayed up the rest of the night with all the lights on and my back to the wall. I hate sleep paralysis.

Other hauntings by kittythatsme

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kittythatsme, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
I've had the experience once, and I never want to be pressed down like that ever again. I feel for you, I really do. I hope that it ceases, but you never can tell what it is that these things want from you. Be strong! ❤ Aloha - 4d
kittythatsme (4 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
CHINGVANG559- I did not know that information thank you for sharing 😊 It does make sense though. I like learning about different cultures. And their veiws on the spirit world.

BriFischer05- I am sorry you have the same thing happen, I would not wish that feeling on anyone. Thanks for reading!
chingvang559 (42 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Sleep paralysis happens in America, but not as much as in third world countries. My family history is full of sleep paralysis and our hypothesis is that, people get it when they go out and play to much. So they bring back a spirit to their house, which comes sleep on them at night. There are many other hypothesis but in my culture, the shaman tells the people everything and that is their view on sleep paralysis.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
I feel ya! Your story is a classic example of what leads up to an episode. It always happens to me when I stop and try to take a nap during the day - usually when my kids are taking a nap. Part of your brain is still alert (mine bc of my kids possibly waking up) yours because of the woman. It's almost like you have to mentally FIGHT or SNAP yourself out of it or you are going to die / suffocate. That's how it makes me feel. Hang in there!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: