You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Text Message From Beyond?

Real Ghost Stories

Text Message From Beyond?

 

I am a born cynic, until recently I've firmly believed that every so called ghost experience can be explained logically. But after my father's unexpected passing events have been unfolding that I'm having a hard time explaining rationally.

A day or so after my father's death, my sisters and I were picking out the suit to give to the funeral home. My father had a big personality and hated dressing in just plain black and white suits, so we wanted his outfit to fit him. After we'd laid it out my sister said something like "I think he'd like it" and the lights started flashing in the room. Also at the funeral, the lights in the front of the church flashed on and off a few times during the eulogy. I, trying to explain this rationally, figured that both we and the church needed new light bulbs.

Next, I kept having dreams with my father in them. In one of them, I was in a room that I didn't recognize and my father was there. I can't remember what happened before, but I said "Well, prove to me that you're a ghost." He floated to the ceiling saying "How's that for a party trick?" (Totally my Dad's personality). The second dream was after I'd been in a car accident he appeared and said "Well at least you didn't hit a parked car this time..." (Again, my Dad's sense of humor.) Still, I'm explaining this as just a couple of weird dreams and me missing my father and his odd sense of humor.

Now, here's the strangest thing. My brother and brother in law recently discovered Vlingo on their blackberries (You speak into the phone and it translates it into a text message/note etc.) My brother in law who has a strong Boston accent said that he never uses it because with his accent it never translates well. He demonstrated it to my sister by saying "I pahked the cah in Hahvad Yahd" And it came back with something about a hobbit and everybody had a good laugh. So my sister who doesn't have a strong Boston accent decided that she'll try. She says "I parked the car in Harvard Yard," and hands it over to her husband. His face goes blank and he tells her he doesn't know if he wants to show her what came out. She of course insisted and it said: "I took the time, Love Dad." I should explain that the poem on the back of my father's mass card was called "The Clock of Life" I won't write out the whole thing but the gist of it was basically that nobody knows when life will end so take the time and do everything you want now, don't put things off until tomorrow because tomorrow isn't a guarantee. I've thought about this a lot, and talked about it with my sisters and I simply cannot figure this out. I understand that Vlingo isn't fool proof and it's not going to translate perfectly but I cannot figure out how it would've got that sentence. It doesn't rhyme or sound anything like "I parked the car in Harvard yard." It doesn't even have the same amount of syllables. This is the one thing I haven't been able to "rationalize" away.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm grasping at straws trying to believe that my father is contacting my family and me. At the end of the day I find it very comforting to think that my Dad is still out there raising hell and having a great time, so maybe I should just take it as what it is. But I'm wondering if anybody has had any similar experiences or heard of anything along these lines?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jml1185, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Oh that's beautiful! It just makes me want to float up into the air and join all the good spirits! Sorry if I got a bit carried away there. But really! I am really sorry for your loss of a loved one. That was very logical and I couldn't explain that better myself! 😊 😊 😊
bmonaghan (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
jml1185 -- I work with Vlingo and we looked into the actual voice files and it looks like they were exactly as you spoke them. In fact, what you experienced is kind of unprecedented. This is really an interesting story, and one that is taking place in our own back yard as well (Vlingo is in Cambridge, MA). I'd love to talk to you more about it. I'm at beth [at] inkhousepr.com. Drop me a note and I would be happy to reach out to you by phone.

Best,
Beth

Best,
Beth
pilarB (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-26)
Hey there. Do you know that what you guys have experienced was true? In the burial day of my niece last February 2009, something strange happened. My brother got a text message on his phone and it was sent by my dead niece. That time, my brother was in argument with my elder sister. During the mass, my brother's phone rang and he saw a text message from my niece's number saying that "Uncle Mic, just be cool... I love you all". My niece's phone was inside her coffin and that particular sim card that she used was found later on, hidden with all her other things inside the cabinet. We're very sure that nobody from my nephews and nieces would ever make prank texts or calls to anyone using my dead niece's SIM card as they are afraid until now. My niece who died used to be playful, naughty but nice and loved everyone. We should be thankful as we're sure that our love ones who passed away will always be there to look after us here in the physical plane.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
This is a common occurance when people lose loved ones. They say it's grief that causes it. I'm not so sure. I think your father all but hit you over the head with trying to get your attention. Maybe his kind of personality is so big that his energy was able to manifest these events. Sounds like he was a wise man with a flair for life. I hope what he has shown you gives you comfort. This story would have to be riddled with coincidence to rationalize it logically and it seems way too explicit to chalk up to coincidence. Consider yourself blessed to have been given this insight. I am sorry for your loss but I'm sure by now you realize there is more to this life and the next than meets the eye and no one ever really dies, they just change form.
MickeyMalice (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
Yeah, I believe it was your dad who sent the message. He sounded like a pretty cool guy too. I think that those are the ways your dad is trying to communicate with you and your family.

I haven't had any experiences like this (Well, I did have something like this but it was a dog... Its a long story) but it sounds like a pretty cool one to have. ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
JML1185--
Logic is a real gift of human intelligence and must be honed and sharpened continually if it's going to keep cutting through the baloney. I'm sorry, though, you might have missed a lot of experience outside the logic you've learned by sticking so exclusively.
Even beyond the depths of Greco-Arabian systems, science continue to reveal a lot more we've never known before and simply states there's a lot beyond that.
Grasping at straws? I'd say your big personality Dad is all but stuffing straws up your nose to get you the message of a reality he's discovered. If he's so willing to work with you, I hope it won't take a brick wall to fall on you to take up a dialogue and investigation. Knowledge is power. Love is stronger than logic. (Talk about something so often illogical!)
vanelle22 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
I really liked this one...I'm sorry for thel loss of your father, first and foremost, but it seems like he is definitely going to be around for a long time:). This was very nice... And even tho I would get freaked out but its a nice message...
tburgos305 (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
wow... That's a beautiful story... I hope you guys are doing better now... Just think of it as a message that your dad wanted for you to get... Just to remind you that he would never forget you 😁
jml1185 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Thanks everybody for the comments
😁

Pandora- your comment IS my Dad... I can't even mention how many times he said "When I go I don't want a bunch of people sitting around crying over me" That gave me chills!
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
What an awesome story, thanks for sharing.

No doubt you will miss his great sense of humor. Good thing is, when you and your family reminisce you will have many more laughs on his account and that is celebrating his life rather than mourning his departure, he would probably want you to do this too, cool!

I'm not saying grieving is bad, we all do that with our loves ones.

(Your story gave me chills when I read it, into the fav list!.)
Composerman (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
That's an incredible account. Spirits choose to make contact with us in many, often unexpected ways - I hope you take comfort from that message! If there's one thing I have learned so far, it is that there are no coincidences in life, things happen for a reason! Thanks for posting.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Regardless of experiences had by others, take these experiences shared by you and your family and cherish them.

Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful story! It sounds like your dad was an amazing person.

God Bless!
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
What a beautiful story. Just hold on to that because the truth is, he's still with you and wants you to know. So sorry for your loss.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: