You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Uninvited Guests

Real Ghost Stories

Uninvited Guests

 

My fiancé and I recently moved back to my hometown in Upstate NY to an apartment about 5 minutes from the rest of my family. It happens to have a large and OLD cemetery behind the property, dating back so far as the 1600's. The house is also on a dead end road with literally ZERO traffic and maybe 16 houses in all, mine being the only one split into apartments. Needless to say it is quiet.

Being on the second floor is always tough, getting used to the noises of a new home as well as a new neighbors, so I always try to let things slide and think logically. I can't say that I have ever lived somewhere there was no activity at all, but I give each place a chance to come out on its own. Well, this place came out all right...

The first night in our new home, I was so glad to be out of the city and back to a small town. I thought to myself "I am going to sleep like a baby here" with the windows open and the wind whispering through the maple trees in my front yard, giving barely a moment of thought to the cemetery out back. I gave up on unpacking and went to bed.

I can dream some vivid dreams, so whether or not this was a dream is still not certain for me, however I know I saw my windows with the drapes flowing in the breeze right where they should be (all of my other dreams seem to be rearranged or reverse of what they are in reality, which makes me think this might have been real) as well as being in the new apartment. I was laying in bed, on my back, when I felt something sit on the bottom outer edge of my bed on my side. My fiancé was lying beside me asleep, so I kept myself calm and attempted to ignore the being so as not to startle them or agitate them. Then the being slowly made its way up the bed to rest on my chest, making it impossible to breathe or move. I tried desperately to "push" the entity off of me with my mind, basically trying to will it to move, when it proceeded to push down on me harder, like it was attempting to restrain me. I strained out a scream waking my fiancé, who was freaking out wondering what was wrong. I was hoarsely yelling at him that something was on top of me so seeing my panic he tried to push whatever it was off physically. Then it just stopped, the weight lifted and it was gone. Here comes the weird part.

I don't remember the after math; all I know is that I woke up the next morning covered in sweat with my fiancé beside me. I woke him up and asked him if he remembered what had happened. He was groggy on the night (which I find VERY confusing as he was completely freaked out during the incident) but said he thinks he remembers me waking him up saying something about not being able to breathe. He then rolled over and went back to sleep, which is very unusual for him as he is the type of person that once they are awake they are AWAKE.

I haven't had anything of that magnitude happen since, just some taps on the walls (which could be water moving through the pipes for the heating) and the occasional flip-out of the cat for no apparent reason, but she is a nutcase anyway. However, when the elderly woman down stairs is not home and we don't have the TV or radio on, we can hear someone moving furniture down there. At first I thought she had someone staying with her, but when I went down and knock on the door, there is no answer. I also peeked through her windows (she has the same windows as we do, HUGE ones, side by side, that basically give you a clear line of sight from the front of the apartment all the way to the back). Not a soul was there, nor was anything moved from its place. Besides that, the woman is elderly as well as a chain smoker; I don't see her moving anything. I asked her about the noises once and she laughed, saying it was probably her ghost. Apparently we are not the only ones who have uninvited guests.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SpiritMagnet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
Well I'm glad that the spirit left you alone after that. The spirit proabably realized that you weren't an easy person to scare or annoy considering your strong aura and how sensitive you are. I hope that whatever it is doesn't come back since it seems like it's harmful so good luck in the apartment.
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
I did consider the sleep paralysis theory, however two things don't add up. First I was able to speak and move my arms and legs. Second there was an IMMENSE pressure on my chest that was painful, another thing that is not a symptom of sleep paralysis. Thank you for the well wishes.
It's quite possible that it chose me before moving in, however I can't imagine something choosing me knowing full well I can defend myself. I have been told by a Shaman as well as many spiritualists that I have a strong aura, so why couldn't this spirit see that? I'm sure that is a question that will never be answered. Just my luck.:-)
As for the hag, I really can't say for sure, however I do agree with you about the hag being related to sleep paralysis, so it's not a strong theory with me. However, at this point I can't count out anything supernatural.
Thank you all so much for your thoughts, I haven't talked about that night in a long time for fear of it returning. Who knows if I would be able to protect myself again, or if it came after my fiance's children.
Blessed be
henry16 (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
That's a really unnerving story, I don't think that it has anything to do with the graveyard, but what ever it was could have chosen to pick on you even before you moved in the house, but that is just a possibility.
Take care
Alastor (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
Hi SpiritMagnet,
This is an old story with roots all over European and Native American culture. The hag that sits on your chest and sends nightmares into your mind. Upon waking the victim is usually unable to breath, some stories say the hag feeds of you. Most Anthropologists believe that was used as an explanation for sleep paralysis, which is actually somewhat common and completely medically explainable. Nightmares tend to shock you out of sleep and while sleeping your brain releases a chemical which stops your body from acting out of your dreams, in effect paralyzing you for the duration of REM sleep. So sometimes you can sort of wake up before your body, if that makes sense to you. The experience is usually very frightening to people since you are kind of still half asleep and especially if you were in the middle of a nightmare. So there you go a scientific (crudely explained I know) and a spiritual explanation, hope one of these helps!
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
I'm not sure if the cemetery relates to the activity, I just can't imagine what else it could relate to. I went to the library and no one has passed away at my address and the woman downstairs seems to think hers is her dead husband. I don't think sitting on my chest would be on his list of things to do, but hey, who knows. As far as where it is, I live there still so I will only go so far as to say it is in Saratoga County.

Another note I wanted to add that my fiance reminded me of last night, the basement. There are two sides to the basement, one for the neightbor and one for us. Our washer and dryer is hooked up on our side as well as shelving and such for storage. The far corner to the right as you walk in is always damp, no matter what time of year or what weather is going on and colder than the rest. We have dug down on that corner on the outside to check to be sure there are no leaks and it is dry as a bone as there is only sand on that side of the house. We recently put a dehumidifier down there which seems to help, however it's still cold. Like 10 to 15 degrees F colder than the rest of the room. I always find myself looking to that corner as if I expect to see someone looking back at me. Not so much threatening, but more curious. And invasive sometimes. I swear it follows me around the basement if I am doing laundry and hanging things up.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
SM,
What town is this house in? I lived most of my life in upstate NY.

Thanks,
Lou
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Sounds as if you have moved into an active place fairly active.

How does the cemetery behind you relate to this incident, or are you just thinking it might? Just curious,

Keep us posted on future events or occurances.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: