You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Graham House

Real Ghost Stories

The Graham House

 

I was about 7 years old when this happened to my family. I am now 33 and still get goose bumps driving by our old house.

We moved in to a new house in a small town in northern Ontario. At first everything was great. This was a huge house with lots of room to play and explore.

One day my older sister and I were watching the Smurfs on a TV that sat in front of a huge picture window covered with white shear curtains. All of the sudden my sister and I turn to each other at the same time and say: who's that? There was an old man in a dark suit and hat standing in front of the window just staring into the house. My sister dared me to pull the curtains to see who it was. With a little convincing, she got me to do it and to our surprise no one was standing there, just an empty garden. We looked at each other and ran to wake up our parents. They then looked around the yard and found nothing. This was our first introduction to the spirits in the house.

After a few weeks my sister and I started hearing strange noises at night, footsteps, slams, scratches and opening doors. After a few weeks my sister and I put up a fuss and started sharing a room. My dad used to work nights and my mom being a night owl was always up late and in the living room downstairs.

The layout of the house was a bit strange and we had a huge square hall framed with four bedroom doors. My sister would wake me up between 11 -1 am. Asking me if I could hear what was going on. What we heard was the sound footsteps walking down the hall and the sound of our dresser drawers opening and slamming shut. The next morning we would ask our mom to stop putting away laundry at night and she insisted she never set foot upstairs.

After about a month of this getting worse, we started seeing shadows moving across walls and things started to go missing. The strangest event was that my sister's change started to go missing from her change jar. She then proceeded to blame me, calling me a thief and telling my parent. I insisted I had nothing to do with it and a few weeks later our sump pump broke and as we pulled it out of the hole we found all of my sister's change.

Now this is where it gets more serious. My mom started seeing the old man previously described. She would hear him walk down the hall at night and then see him at her door, standing there staring at her for quite a while. She says she felt as if she was being held down and would scream for help. My dad never believed her until one night he was finally home and the ritual repeated itself only including him in it as well. My dad does not scare easily and from then on slept with a baseball bat under the bed.

After that night we started looking for another house. The events kept getting stronger. You could literally feel the charge in the air before something would happen almost feeling like you were being tickled very lightly. After a while you would start feeling sick from the energy.

Finally we moved!

About ten years later we moved back to the region and I was on the bus on the way to high school and a girl was telling ghost stories about her house that sounded strangely familiar. I then saw her get off the bus at the old Graham house.

There are so many more stories to tell about that house, maybe I can write more on a later date. This was by far the scariest place I have ever encountered. You could just feel the sick energy of the house and let me tell you it was not something you would want to re-experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Deckar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Webbstain (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-13)
I'm not going to pretend I'm
A ghost expert cause I'm not you know? But I would get very scared in situations like that, I really do admire you for you're courage;) keep writin' n' fighitn'! 😊
Dillion_PoetofAsgardr (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-13)
Very scary friends, I'd love to hear more about your encounters. Keep writing.
Deckar (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
I only know that the previous owner was a Mr. Graham.
Apparently he passed away in the bathroom of the house.
He was according to people who knew him a very nice man.

The ghosts in the house were very negative and frightening. I don't know that this could have been him.

Even houseguest used to have scares in the house. The level of activity was very strong. I think there may have been more than one spirit there.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
As usual, do you know the history of the house/land? That would be start to figure out who this elderly man was

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: