You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadowy Figures In Our Home

Real Ghost Stories

Shadowy Figures In Our Home

 

My wife and I and our 6 children (hers, mine, and ours) have been living in a Sacramento area home for two years this month.

The house was brand new and part of a new development. There was no history attached to the house. But, of course, there is always some sort of history attached to the LAND a house is built on.

Less than a year into living here, my wife and I began to see what looked like someone cocking their head around the corner of a neighboring room, looking in on us.

Of course, with 6 kids, we assumed they were playing another game of "I Spy" with us as their subjects. So I would call out to them, run out to the other room, etc.

And sure enough, there was NO ONE there. Soon it happened when the kids weren't even home, and we both were seeing the same thing. What looked like someone looking at us in the next room. And as always, when we turned to look, the head would straighten up and whatever it was would vanish into the other room. We would see this repeatedly.

Then sometime later (few months maybe?), I would turn the corner into a room and see what I can only describe as a black, shadowy figure that appeared to be crouching or crawling along the floor. It startled me, but didn't panic me. It would vanish just as soon as I would see it.

Always black looking, always shadowy, and always low to the ground in a crawling or crouching stance.

These forms didn't have the definite human shape that the STANDING ones had... But my guy reaction was "This is someone either crouching or under a black looking blanket, crawling around the floor of my home!"

Things got really strange for me when I was out with my 10-year-old daughter doing a few errands. ALL I asked her was if she had ever seen anything out of the corner of her eyes. That's ALL! No hints, no coaching, not even a mention of a SPECIFIC location where it happened.

To my amazement and horror, she said, "Well, I didn't want to tell you and Sarah (her stepmom), but sometimes I will enter a room and see what looks like a dark figure laying or crawling on the ground." OH MY! The few hairs I have left on my head STOOD ON END!

My young daughter--with NO KNOWLEDGE of my story WHATSOEVER--was describing the exact same observation!

Then my 9 year old son described walking into his brothers' room and seeing a BLUE BLANKET dark across the floor. Then it vanished. Sounds very similar, again, to the feeling I had that it was a black blanket with someone hiding under it.

My wife has seen the dark shadowy things in our master closet as well as other rooms in the house. My in-laws watched the kids for us at our home for a week when we took a cruise to Alaska in May.

She admitted that every time she did the dishes or was cleaning in the sink, she could see a figure, dark and shadowy, watching through a big plant we have on the kitchen counter. When she turned to look, it disappeared.

I have seen something behind our couch (family room connects to the kitchen) while doing the dishes. It was clear enough that I SWORE it was my 6-year-old playing with me. I looked and there was NO ONE.

In hindsight, we remember clearly when our baby was a few months old and would look up at corners of the family room and wave and say "HI!" to things that weren't there. At least, things WE couldn't see. No odd reactions from our dog or other pets.

We are actually having a paranormal team come to our home soon to check things out. They, as we, are intrigued by the fact that 3 adults and 2 children are witnessing what appears to be the same shadowy figure encounters all under the same roof. I can't wait to have them over and to see what they find.

We are not scared, really. But we are very, very intrigued. We want to know WHAT it is, WHY it is here, etc.

I have since become an addict of ghost-related books, blogs, websites, television shows, etc. This personal encounter is making me want to learn all I can about this otherworldly type stuff.

I would love to hear thoughts on this and if you have similar stories and encounters. I am amazed at how many people I know personally or work with, etc. Who say they see the same things. What the HECK are we seeing? Thanks for your time in reading this. I will post any updates as they come!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SpencerHughes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-24)
I have seen, at least twice, on two different ghost hunter shows on TV where they encountered shadow figures low to the ground such as you described. They weren't unfriendly or mean in either case, but they were largely unexplained. Just glimpses of exactly what you are describing. Very interesting. I imagine I would react the same as you except I've already been into the paranormal pretty heavily. Watch Ghost Adventures on Friday nights on the Travel Channel 8pm central. You should like it.
waterLily (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Thanks for sharing this story and all the updates. Please let us know if and when you get a paranormal team in! The house I lived in as a kid/teenager had very similar goings-on. We had several black-shadow figures living with us, although at the time I felt it was not a nice presence. Most of them 'lived' in my bedroom, and more often than not, I would see them take a right down the hall to my bedroom when I was in another room, or if I was in bed, I would see them turn down toward my room but would disappear but they reached my room. We saw reflections of figures in windows (men, women and children) and the feeling of being watched all the time. No whispering though! I have never experienced seeing anything crawling on the floor though, that's really interesting.
SpencerHughes (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-19)
Hi everyone and thanks again for the kind and supportive and informative comments. Please keep them coming.

Update to our situation...

Last night, June 18th, I had been seeing what looked like maybe one of the kids hopping around the living room sofa--which is on the other side of a semi open and arched wall separating the living room and the family room.

The kids KNOW they are not to play in that room, and my first inclination was to chew them out for disobeying a clear house rule.

So I would see what looked like a head bobbing up and down and across the sofa in the next room. I would go around the corner and there was NO ONE there.

I knew right away that I was seeing the shadow things out of the corner of my eyes again.

THEN...at exactly 10pm... The time we coincidentally heard the whisper and saw the figure earlier in the week, my wife yells out for me to come to the bedroom.

She was in the master bathroom, all the lights off except for light coming in from outside (quite a bit, enough to navigate without breaking your neck).

She CLEARLY saw a darkened outline of a head and shoulders bobbing over to look in her direction. It was no more than 2 feet away from her.

She said she had never seen it for this long STRAIGHT ON. It was undeniably something standing up and watching her curiously.

It was clear enough that she thought it was one of the kids, until it quickly dawned on her that it was not. She quickly turned the corner and NOTHING.

That is the latest. Still no feeling of threat or attack. More of a curiosity. The way you would observe something or someone when you didn't want to disturb them or let on that you were studying them.

Almost child like, in a way. Like a game of "I Spy".

Thanks again, everyone. Will update when appropriate.
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-17)
SpencerHughes: Thanks for responding and I look forward to learn what happens tonight... Be safe.

Sergeant: Intriguing post; adds a whole new perspective on why things might happen the way they do in the spirit world, thanks for sharing!

God Bless, B~
Sergeant (3 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
There's a hotel said to be haunted in Savannah, GA. People report seeing spirits roam around, all appear to be walking on their kneese or broken kneese.

(Maybe crawling around?)

It turns out the original hotel was destroyed by flood, and an identical building was erected. Identical except it was built two feet higher.

Apparently the spirits didn't get the message as they still roam on the original floor level making it appear they're walking on their kneese.

Yes it's a crazy long shot to suggest any such thing in your case, but it does go to show there are some weird explanations/happenings out there.
SpencerHughes (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
The only kids who are aware of it are my 12 year old (I played an EVP to him of HARDCORE knocking sounds the first night I tried it)...

My 9-year-old daughter has seen the figures but swears they don't scare her.

My 10-year-old son saw the blue blanket as he describes it dart across the bedroom floor.

The other kids are too young and would be scared...

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. I thought I was losing my mind until all these other people saw it too.

And last night was the creepiest... When that voice was RIGHT NEXT TO US and we KNEW it couldn't have been any of the kids or us...scary. I shot IR video in the bedroom towards the wall my wife saw it vanish to and where I caught the orb photo last night. Haven't had time to review it yet.

Will keep you all posted!
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
Great story... So far... I can't wait for the updates. You must fill us in on all the findings the team gathers.

You say your two older children told you of accounts they themselves had, were they terrified by these shadow people? We have spirits in our home too but my children (although much younger) are quite scared. Does your 6 year old realize what is going on in your home?
SpencerHughes (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
Thanks for all the supportive comments so far! This is my first day on here and the first time sharing this on a ghost forum.

The strangeness just started again!

At approximately 10pm Pacific Time, I was standing in our bedroom... Wife in bed ready to fall asleep and my 6-year-old asleep on the floor at the foot of the bed.

I was telling my wife about the book I am reading GRAVE'S END, a true ghost story of a family in New York in the 1980s.

In mid-sentence, we BOTH heard a LOUD, DISTINCT voice kind of WHISPERING... Just a couple of undefined syllables. SO LOUD.

Our 12-year-old was two rooms away and had called my name earlier. But there is NO WAY that is what we both heard--the voice we heard was IN THE MIDDLE of the bedroom.

THEN...it gets better...

Five minutes later at 10:05pm, my wife texts me "It was just in here". I knew what she meant--the shadowdy things we keep seeing. She said it darted across the room at the foot of the bed.

I immediately ran in and took pictures in the corner where she said she saw it end up... Got a clear and bright ORB... It was near the tip of our radio's antenna... So who knows... The skeptic in me says it's a reflection off the tip of the antenna.

I ran our digital Olympus recorder immediately, hoping to catch any EVPs of maybe that voice we heard outloud a few minutes before... Going to review the recording in a few minutes or tomorrow morning. Have to get up at 3am for work tomorrow, so I am exhausted.

But we KNOW what we heard and saw tonight.

What ARE these things?

Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Seems like a good group of people on here!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
Wow Intertrest story, My aunt see a little boy shadow in her very old house before gone to bed and he was lost and confused.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
Hi spencerhughes, thanks for sharing your story. I know and understand exactly what you are talking about. One of the things that I did at home when I first noticed things was take pictures. When I felt something or heard something I would take a picture. If I went into a room and it was colder than the rest I would take a picture other days I just took pictures of each room in the house with my digital camera and then I reviewed them in the computer. At times I would catch orbs and others different things that I knew were not there when I took the pic. Another thing I did was leave a tape recorder taping while no one is at home. I did it when no one was home so that I knew for sure what I was hearing would be paranormal and not one of us or the kids.
After doing this on my own I came to find out that not only was my house haunted but my neighborhood was too. It could very well be as you said the land that is causing the hauntings and with the construction of the home that itself could have awaken something. If you are not scared by it and you don't feel that it is a threat than I wouldn't be alarmed it is good that you are having someone come and investigate. Good luck and keep us posted on the findings.
Hawkgirl (6 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
Interesting. Please keep us posted with those updates. As you mentioned, it doesn't sound THAT scary but I'd be uneasy all the time if I witnessed such things... So far it doesn't seem like it wants to harm you, maybe it wants some attention. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what the investigators find, and if you have researched about the history of the land, please share 😊
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
Excellent story, I can't wait to hear what the investigators find! Please let us know!

Blessed be 😊
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
What an interesting story. For so many people to have described what you saw down to the crawling on the floor and dark in appearance part makes me wonder just what is the history of the land. Maybe you could try looking up the history of the area and such if you have not yet. Hopefully the paranormal team can shed some light onto this problem and figure out why this is happening, it'd be great to know how it goes. Good luck with everything, and I would love to see some pictures if you have them!

-Hope
Composerman (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
Wow, thanks for sharing your accounts with us. It is always reassuring that other people are seeing what you are seeing! Have you ever taken any photographs in the house which, when developed / downloaded to computer, have shown any of these shadow figures? I'd maybe have a loaded camera on standby incase one of these shadows appears again, and then try to catch it on camera!

Thanks again, please keep us updated!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: