You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Marry and the Rose Scent

Real Ghost Stories

Marry and the Rose Scent

 

Once, I went to my grandmother's house when I was in third grade. My Grandfather had just died a little while ago. Since the grave yard he was buried in was rather close to my grandma's house (only about 5 minutes away), we decided we would go take a visit to his grave. We found his grave. My Grandma was kind of sad and depressed so we asked her if she wanted to come look around the grave yard with us (my mom, siblings and I). She told us she wanted to stay there a while longer and that she wanted to be alone so we should go look around at the rest of our family member's graves and then just go look at other places in the graveyard, too. So we did.

We looked at our lost family members and other places until we finished that. We kept walking though. We walked to the richer area (meaning the graves that were higher, bigger, and nicer looking). There was one that caught our eyes, so we walked closer to it. The name was Marry. There were toys around it! Then all of the sudden, I smelt something! "Did you smell that?!?" I asked my family. Only my mother said she did. What we smelt was a rose scent. No! It was too light to have been a perfume. And we only smelt it for about a second. So we waited at the grave until my grandma found us. We told her of what had occurred. Then she told us about the grave.

There was a little girl who was only 13. She was such a good person and hoped to become a nun. She was said to have always used rose perfume. Then one day, when she was sick she passed away. They say whenever you smell the perfume, it would heal you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Maelstrom (23 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-21)
In response to snowflake's comment, pray 'for' Mary, not 'to' her. God and Jesus are the only One's that Christians should pray to. Other faiths will pray to their deity's.
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-29)
Yeah I read about it and it is true, but she was 14 years of age when she passed away. Http://www.prairieghosts.com/ma_quinn.html
snowflake (5 stories) (61 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
This is Mary Alice Quinn. I've read about her on the internet. It's been said that the rose scent means that she's "listening" to your prayers. It's also been said that you have to place your hand on her tombstone when you "pray" to her... 😁
TammyMom (32 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Roberta, I have heard of this story before. I either read about it on a website, have it on a video that I have recorded at some time in the past, or have it in one of the books in my home library. I have a massive amount (hundreds) of books, hundreds (at least) of videos and DVDs, both recorded and purchased. I am, slowly but surely, getting all of the videos burned on to DVD. Almost all of them are about ghosts, hauntings, assorted paranormal subjects, enigmas, mysteries, etc. If I've got it, eventually I'll come across it again. From what I understand, this is absolutely true. It is not an urban legend. Thank you very much for submitting this story to this website. Martin, thank you for posting this story on this web site. It's wonderful and inspirational.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-12)
Hello Shane and everybody,

Shane stirring up trouble are you? Ha,Ha! That is my job...stir, stir, toil and trouble...stir, stir.

From my personal experience, I know it is possible to smell the fragrance or favorite scent(s) of a departed spirit who is hanging around a grave. Lord knows why they would want to hang around their grave. Ha,Ha! Though some may be passing by checking out their place of physical rest or they are just plain stuck, in either case the spirit can leave a scent. The smell of roses is big with the Victorian ladies and by-gone eras. Personally, sometimes it can be overwhelming, especially if they were known to bathe in rose water. Besides the roses of today have had their scents bred right out of them. I have also been to cemeteries or in places where no roses were present anywhere. So, sorry Shane I will have to defer to Roberta's experience to be as real as she believes it to be. I have also aromatically noticed that those spirits who have the scent of rose have been so far what I would call the gentler and kinder spirit. Those ones that smell of cigar or cigarette smoke are questionable. Ha,Ha! Stay away from the rotten egg ones... ;)
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-11)
Not to stir up any trouble here, but since you were in a grave yard and grave yards are notorious for roses being placed on graves and you said that it was such a light scent. That this couldn't have been the cause of what you smelled. Not doubting that what you say isn't real, just that sometimes urban legends have a way of being explained. There is also the possiblity of someone spraying her grave with Rose perfume to keep the legend going. Just a thought.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Fran (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-10)
Kodak if you read the story you would know that the writer wasn't sick, so she couldn't have been healed. That's what the Grandma told her about the grave and the story of the girl buried there.
Roberta, that was a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it with us all.
Kodak (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-10)
Awesome story. How do you feel about being "healed" after smelling the scent? Did it work?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: