You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Orange Eyes In October

Real Ghost Stories

Orange Eyes In October

 

I'm twenty-one years of age and female. My story takes place on Prince Edward Island, Canada. I was born and raised there... A very quiet place. I lived in the country with my mother and father... Let's see. Three or four years ago now, it must be since we lived out in the sticks, so to say, it was very secluded... Lots of farms, but that's about it. There are no bears, wolves, deer... No big animals. Biggest is probably a fox or coyote.

It was late October, after Halloween. My mother and father weren't at their best time in their marriage, so my mother and I often took long late night drives to stay away from home and fights. It wasn't a cold night... We both drove with the windows in the car open, but I remember being able to feel dampness on my skin. The moon was high and very bright in the sky.

I'm a horror movie addict and I love a good scare now and then, I actually crave it sometimes... So, for kicks, I decided to ask my mother to go down a long dark road, near a farm house... It was surrounded by trees, and I figured for sure we would see some kind of animal and get a little spook and a laugh out of it. So, she went.

We drove down the dirt road slowly, lights on high. Sadly, though, it was a boring little trip. Nothing at all. I sighed when we hit the end of the road and ended up back on pavement, unsatisfied. However, across the road and down a ways was one of our old family friends' home. It had burned to the ground many years before probably about five or six years ago. It was also down a very long dirt road. I must add, there were no deaths in the home, except their family dog that had been inside when the home burned. The home had a large field to the left of it which usually housed dairy cows, but it was empty for a while after the home burned down.

My mother was extremely reluctant to go down the road. I wanted to go home and go to bed... But after a few "Do it. Do it." (Starsky and Hutch references) she finally complied and began the trek down. She turned the headlights on the car down to not draw attention from the road since the place was kind of prohibited from trespassers. We were laughing and chattering to each other as she drove down. Not really even paying attention to the road ahead of us. The next part was so bizarre and I don't really understand how it happened to this day... All I remember is all sound vanishing, like mid conversation. We both stopped talking and turned our heads to face out the windshield. It was synchronized and almost in slow motion. I suppose it's like the same way your brain slows down an accident for you so you have time to react.

Two orange eyes orange eyes... And that was it. They were glowing hot as cinders against the pitch black of the night down the road. Our headlights were on them, but there was no shape, body or form, just the eyes. They seemed to hover smoothly above the ground, but they moved slightly unblinking. I remember that plainly... They didn't blink. Whatever they belonged to wasn't small either, because they were a ways down the road still and I would say they were easily windshield height. My mother and I looked at each other, still synchronized and from the bowels of our stomachs we let go a scream. We both started out low and soft, and eventually hit the top of our lungs.

"Get out of here! Do it! Do it!" I yelled at her.

But she was way ahead of me. Since we were surrounded by trees on our right and a cow field to our left, there was no where to turn the car around. So she threw it in reverse and started to back up. The eyes were still there, floating staring curiously, closer. It wasn't scared of us, there was no way.

She finally found a lane to turn around in. She tells me to this day she remembers that when she backed into the lane she took a side glance to see those eyes again... And they were closer yet. Any living creature on PEI would have high tailed it out of there.

Now, I realize you all must think that it was an animals eyes reflecting on our headlights. This is where it gets scarier.

When my mother had turned the car around and we began to drive down the dirt road toward our exit, I looked out the back window. I remember plain as day the way the smoke from the exhaust pipe floated into the night and those same hot as cinder orange eyes were still there behind that smoke, moving towards us. Smooth, slow, confident... Big.

We went home, crawled into bed and cried. My adult, grown mother cried with me... This wasn't just any animal. We didn't feel safe! We both had an unbelievable feeling of insecurity in our stomachs. It felt like it was going to follow us home.

We did go back after that. With a trusty spotlight, a steel pipe and some "werewolf" hunting music (I liked to think it was a lycanthrope, the size was about right). We never did see the elusive eyes again though... And we searched for a long, long time. I don't know to this day what the seemingly body-less eyes were. If anyone knows... Or if anyone has seen the same thing... I would surely love to know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vore, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-29)
Very well written story. I think that would have definitely been spooky. I might have made my husband stick around a little while longer if I was with him, but if I was by myself I would be gone in a hurry.
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
I think the creature you saw was "KAPRE" try to google it. =] very nice story...
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
The only reference to orange eyes that I can remember is an earlier story about a "plat eye".I know that this isn't a bigfoot website but in my humble opinion if it was big, it might of been one. I do some hunting now and then and I wanted to know what's in the woods besides me and what I'm hunting, so I did some extensive research on the big fellow and although I've done some joking about the subject, I think that he might possibly exist. Key words like "glowing eyes","rock throwing","tree knocking" and "growl/howl/screaming from the woods or treeline" are attributed to bigfoot. They can also keep up with a car up to a certain speed.However, if anyone doesn't want me to touch on the subject anymore I'll keep those certain opinions to myself.-Mike
Vore (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-28)
Just wanted to thank you all for the comments and input! I'm happy to hear from you, and I don't bite. And yes! I'll be glad to write again if anything ever happens... Hoping it does! Keep being awesome everyone! =D
LTskittles125 (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
I have seen something like that except it had a black body mass behind it. It made a sickening growl like an angry dog. Maybe it was that dog who was killed in burning house. It is possible for animals to become a ghost or spirit. Whether it is nice or mean that is key. Maybe it followed you because I might have known you and was upset because its owner left him/her there. There are endless possiblilities to explain what happened that night. God bless you and your family.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
Very creepy. I was thinking maybe an owl but you would have seen something of it's outline in the headlights. I have heard of other stories like this and if it's not an animal I don't know what it could be. Being that it was full moon it's possible you were getting a reflection of something that was in the area without being able to see it's source. Many times these things have a natural cause but atmosphere and suggestion can cause us to read too much into it.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
Very good story Vore! Freaky, interesting, and very well written. I'm unsure as to what you saw, but the images your story put in my mind will be with me for some time. Thanks very much for a good scare!
xXxOrionxXx (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
Wow a very riveting story. The orange eyes thing remind of what happened to me, which I recalled by reading this story. I was in my parents native country, El Salvador. Our family followed the same ritual of praying before sleeping (They are evangelical, I'm not. Back then I was.) So we started praying in, Spanish, "Our Father Who Art In Heaven". Then by some unknown reason I was impulsed to look under my cousin's bed. And there were two red eyes staring at me! I was scared and couldn't continue praying. To this day I haven't told anyone in my family. Also, I am still haunted by those red eyes.
gogreenjessi (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
Very interesting! Its too bad you never saw it again. More information might be helpfull. It almost sounds demonic just because you felt like it would follow you! The strange thing is how you both saw it. This definataly shows it was NOT in your head. I have only heard of an entety (however you spell it lmao!) manafesting its' self in this way a couple of times. I have seen TAPS (Trans-Atlantic Paranormal Society) capture eyes once before, but I am sure other people have stories to tell!
~Hope you had a fun scare lol!
~Jessi
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
Your story is very well written! I love the description in it, especially the starsky and hutch thing hahaha. I've never heard of anything like this, but it seems as though you didn't see an animal... What you did see and why is a total mystery to me! Great story and PLEASE write again if anything happens!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
Wow that is really creepy! What I love most about this is that you experienced this with your mom. Nice to see you spent some quality time. If you are looking for advice, this is not my area of paranormal activity to give advice on. I can say this though don't rule out the logical explanations. I'm sure overall this was a great time for you and mom. ❤ Jasmin
jenniferford (2 stories) (56 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
I have had the same thing happen to me, but I was with a friend and her mom and dad on a back road in the middle of no where. My friend and I where talking girl talk and the car stoped and her mom and dad looked freaked out. I heard her mom say what the blank is that? He said the blank if I know. By that time we looked up by myside of the car was just red eyes. It was moving to the back of the car and stoped at my window. They took off and when I looked back it looked like the reeper. All I seen was this huge black mass and big red eyes. The thing is I see this stuff all the time so I didn't think much of it as long as it didn't follow me home I am cool. God bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: